IGNORED

TI and the MiniPro TL866 EPROM Programmer

atrax27407

Nop

Just tried D/loading version 6.70 from the link atrax27407 posted ^^^ and my machine deleted it because it contained a virus. Anyone else?

Nope, no virus alerts, maybe a false positive? installed just fine too. Although it's in chinese (the installer).

• Like 1

There are a few tips when it comes to updating your TL866. If you choose to go to the website

and download the latest version (Vn 6.70), here are a few things to keep in mind. You can also download the update if you have an existing installation on your machine by choosing the Update" function on the toolbar.

The initial setup docs are in Chinese. The default path is D:/ which is usually where your system backup is located and probably NOT a good idea. If you press the "button" to the right of the default box (the Chinese there is "Browse"), you can install the update in the folder of your choice - a GOOD idea.

The installation will install the drivers required and prompt you to re-flash the firmware. It is contained as part of the installation program and will be done without intervention when you choose it. The installation program will also install a "HELP" file that is completely in Chinese. If your Mandarin is as rusty as mine, I have a "HELP" file in English. Just PM me and I will send it to you via email (Atariage doesn't like .chm files) then simply delete that file and replace it in the installation folder with the attached one that I will send to you.

Also, look at the Language tab on the toolbar and make sure that you choose English.

• Like 2

Just tried D/loading version 6.70 from the link atrax27407 posted ^^^ and my machine deleted it because it contained a virus. Anyone else?

Yes, Windows 10 identified it as a virus on my system.

Virustotal also identified about a half dozen engines that identified it as a virus as well:

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/ec42da2f3f16ba97023ae7350326a85bcbc7b21d667c9e253c4b1294f3e4e870/detection

post-22866-0-09387700-1520956192_thumb.png

• Like 1

The problem appears to be the .chm files within the download. I had trouble sending it as a "naked" attachment to Arcadiel. Google (a some anti-virus programs as well) identify it and a host of other files as a "virus". The Google message is this:

To protect you against potential viruses and harmful software, Gmail doesn't allow you to attach certain types of files, including:

• Certain file types (listed below), including their compressed form (like .gz or .bz2 files) or when found within archives (like .zip or .tgz files)
  • Documents with malicious macros
  • Password protected archives whose content is an archive

Note: If you try to attach a document that is too large, your message won't send. Learn more about attachments and file size limits.

File types you can't include as attachments

.ADE, .ADP, .BAT, .CHM, .CMD, .COM, .CPL, .DLL, .DMG, .EXE, .HTA, .INS, .ISP, .JAR, .JS, .JSE, .LIB, .LNK, .MDE, .MSC, .MSI, .MSP, .MST, .NSH .PIF, .SCR, .SCT, .SHB, .SYS, .VB, .VBE, .VBS, .VXD, .WSC, .WSF, .WSH

This thread from here on is intended to be one where we can share tips, tricks and information about the MiniPro TL866 EPROM Programmer.

Current Version: 6.70

The first entry is an English translation of the .chm files that came with the device. The first is the Help file and the second is the Users Manual. All that is necessaary is to delete the Chinese version of the Help file and replace it with the corresponding one in the attached .zip file

MiniPro Docs.zip

Edited by atrax27407
  • Like 1

Several years ago, The Great Gazoo discovered an interesting fact about the TI TMS2532 chip. He found through experimentation that it was very tolerant of under-voltage programming. In fact, it could be successfully programmed at 21V instead of the listed 25V Vpp. That meant that is could be programmed by the MiniPro TL866 without any problems.

The TI TMS2532 is used for the DSRs in the TI Disk Controller, RS232 and the even and odd byte console ROMs. It is also used in Myarc PEB cards as well.

The adapter that I use is a three socket stack to clear the lever on the eprommer with a 24-pin ZIF on the top. The pin connections are as follows:

Top Socket is the TI TMS2532 and the Bottom socket is configured as a TI TMS2732A

Top socket pin #21 (Vpp) is connected to bottom socket pin #20 (Vpp)

Top socket pin #20 (-CE) is connected to bottom socket pin #18 (-CE)

Top socket pin #18 (A11) is connected to bottom socket pin # 21 (A11)

That's all there is to it.

To program a TMS2532, simply select the TI TMS2732A as your template

Make sure the "Chip ID" box is not checked.

Load your code and program as you would normally.

Oh yes, the adapter works on the TI TMS2532A (21V Vpp) as well.

Edited by atrax27407

It is also possible to program 1, 2 and even 4 meg EPROMs with the MiniPro. There is an adapter board that is open source and public domain (and also for sale on eBay) that allows you to program 27C400, 27C800, 27C160, and 27C322 chips with the MiniPro. Through the use of a series of switches, you are able to move 512k chunks of code into the chips one block at a time. Of course, you have to break the 1 and 2 meg code into appropriately sized chucks but that is easily done.

Jim Fetzner has expressed an interest in getting a small run of the boards done in the relatively near future.

To program the chips, simply select 27C4096 as your template and uncheck the "Chip ID" box.

Then cycle through the chip flipping the appropriate switches after each run and program each 512K block in succession until you are finished.

Edited by atrax27407

The "Chip ID" box in the middle of the MiniPro screen at the bottom when you are in programming mode is an interesting "beastie". If you are using known good EPROMs (i.e., from a reliable US source) having the box checked is not a problem. In fact, it is one way to verify that the chip you are using is the genuine article.

However, if you are like most of us, you have used some of the bargain chips from eBay that are very much cheaper in most cases that US-sourced chips. The problem is that these mainly-Chinese chips are usually from a "midnight run" of chips at one of the Chinese facilities. That means, basically, that they are counterfeit. They go through the manufacturing process but don't have the proper manufacturer-authorized recognition byte installed and they don't go through any QC process. The result is that the failure rate can range between 30% and 50% or more in a single batch. So, for every 10 chips purchased, 3 to 5 (or more) will simply fail for all sorts of reasons when they are programmed. The result is that the bargain chips are just as expensive (or even more so) when you calculate the per chip price.

There are, however, some Chinese vendors that have counterfeit chips that will actually work. I currently have, for example, some 27C040 EPROMs that program very nicely but fail the "Chip ID" test. Apparently all they lack is the ID byte. Everything else about the chip is fine.The solution that I use with ALL of my Chinese- sourced chips is to un-check the "Chip ID" box before I start programming them. That eliminates the "ID error" that prevents the chip from being programmed and lets you go ahead and then program the chip. Just because a chip has "AMD" stamped on it doesn't necessarily mean that it has come out of an AMD factory and passed all of the required tests. The bottom line is that you have to pick your Chinese chip sources very carefully. As time has gone by, I have shifted my stock of chips from about half and half Chinese chips to US-source chips when I started many years ago, to almost entirely US-sourced chips now. I find that it is not worth the hassle of having a bunch of failed EPROMs. It wastes both time and money in the long run.

Oh yes, don't forget to un-check the "Chip ID" box whenever you are using any adapter to program an EPROM.

Edited by atrax27407
  • Like 2

Quick apology: I screwed up Bob's thread when I merged two into this one as doing so also changed the title of the thread from what he had before I pinned it*. The proposal was a one-stop place to find information for using the MiniPro which most of us have and can be had for dirt cheap, and he is willing to maintain the thread to include information for anyone who would be creating TI stuff with it. Seemed like a good idea to me.

* Newbie moderator tip: there is no option for ordering merged threads -- the oldest goes first.

I searched through e software and could not find it listed so i thought I'd ask. can my miniPro program a 27c400-105 eprom? I hope so, I just ordered a lt of 5 because I want a DiagRom for my amiga. I have the TL866CS and can't seem to locate the info.

I see a lot of 27c400x chips listed (ie..27c4000, 27c4001, etc...) but I don't think they are the same things.

EDIT: Search criteria source - http://www.autoelectric.cn/minipro/miniprosupportlist.txt

Edited by Sinphaltimus

Can my miniPro program a 27c400-105 eprom? I hope so, I just ordered a lt of 5 because I want a DiagRom for my amiga.

I'm actually trying to do the same thing, which is to use a minpro to program a DiagRom.

You will need an adapter. I ordered this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GGLABS-E2R16v2-PCB-TL866-27C400-27C800-27C160-Programming-Adapter-EPROM/401464557359?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The listing above is just for the bare board, so if you go that route, you'll need to buy the parts and do some soldering. The parts for mine are still en-route from China.