IGNORED

TI and the MiniPro TL866 EPROM Programmer

atrax27407

AMD AM27C49 adapter

This chip is a direct replacement for the "almost mythical" TMS2564 (the 24-pin version) that is used in the TI DSDD Disk controller and is upwards compatible with the TMS2532 chip.

You will need to build your own adapter but it is a fairly simple build. In this case, the bottom socket is a 28-pin socket with one or more 24-pin sockets stacked on top of it. The sockets are bottom justified (i.e., pins 1, 2, 27, and 28 are uncovered).. The wiring goes like this:

Bottom socket pin #1 to Top socket pin #20 (Vpp)

Bottom socket pin #2 to Top socket pin #18 (A12)

Bottom socket pin #28 to Top socket pin #24 (Vcc)

Bottom socket pin 21 to Top socket pin #21 (A10)

Bottom socket pin # 23 to Top socket pin #19 (A11)

Pins 27 (PGM), 26 (N/C), 22 (OE), and 20 (CE) from the bottom socket are not connected.

You will have to change the Vpp to 13.5V, Vcc to 5.00V, Vdd to 5.50V and Pulse Delay to 1000us

Select AMD AM27C64 to use as your template to program the chip.

The important thing to remember when making any adapter is that the bottom socket (i.e., the one plugged directly into the TL866) MUST be the one you use for your programming template. The top socket is the one that the EPROM you wish to program is plugged into.

Edited by atrax27407

CHUE:

I'm actually trying to do the same thing, which is to use a minpro to program a DiagRom.

You will need an adapter. I ordered this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GGLABS-E2R16v2-PCB-TL866-27C400-27C800-27C160-Programming-Adapter-EPROM/401464557359?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The listing above is just for the bare board, so if you go that route, you'll need to buy the parts and do some soldering. The parts for mine are still en-route from China.

Oh boy, well, glad I can use it, now I have to order one more thing. *sigh* - OK well it is what it is... Thanks felluhs for answering so quickly. :)

I'm actually trying to do the same thing, which is to use a minpro to program a DiagRom.

You will need an adapter. I ordered this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GGLABS-E2R16v2-PCB-TL866-27C400-27C800-27C160-Programming-Adapter-EPROM/401464557359?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The listing above is just for the bare board, so if you go that route, you'll need to buy the parts and do some soldering. The parts for mine are still en-route from China.

• 3 weeks later...

I have discovered that the TI specifications for the TMS2564 (24 pin package) have an error in the pin outs. The datasheet has A6 listed as both Pin 2 and Pin 15. That is an impossibility. Pin 15 should be Q6. Therefore, it requires an adapter when inserted in a 24-pin socket for the TMS2564 which is used in the TI DSDD FDC. Make the following changes:

AM27C49 TMS2564 (24 pin)

Pin 21 (A10) Pin 19 (A10)

Pin 19 (A11) Pin 18 (A11)

Pin 18 (A12) Pin 21 (A12)

• Like 1

Looking at this one, it looks like the TI chip was the only 32K flash chip that built them on the 28-pin package format. The 28F256 uses a 32-pin form factor that is mostly pin-compatible (only the VCC and VPP pins are shifted to pins 32 and 1, with pins 30 and 3 (equivalent to 28 and 1 on the 29F256) as N/C. You would have to bend some pins and run a jumper wire to get VCC to pin 32 in order to use this on a TIPI, and then you have to have enough space to put it in there too--and once you bend the pins you lose the advantage you were looking to get by using a flash chip. This is not really an option unless you modify the TIPI board to jumper between a 32-pin flash chip and the 28-pin EPROM. I'll have to look to see if any other programmers I have support the 29F256, as looking at the two chips, the erase/programming cycle is radically different between the two chip families.

I have done some digging, and I found out that my TOPWIN3000 will program the 29F256. My Advin and Xeltek programmers will program the 29F010 and 040 chips, but don't have the smaller chips from the family in their libraries.

Edited by Ksarul
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I might have asked this same question 2-3 years ago - is the 29c040 Atmel chip supported? Swim and I have a number of these chips that we can no longer program. Our programmers say they will write to them, but seem to screw up the boot sectors and/or lock the boot pages. Once locked, the chip is pretty much unusable for our needs.

Be great if we could find someone capable of writing to the chip and validating that the full 512k could be programmed.

Are you trying to program the PLCC or the DIP version? ISTR Gazoo used to program the PLCC version all the time with this programmer (he was always having trouble with the 49F040 chips that I use, but that was just a programming socket issue, as I program them on his old programmer all the time using a flap-style socket). I've never tried the DIP variants. . .

DIP variants, 32 pin. I have a few chips that worked up until I made the mistake of trying to reprogram with my GX4Q programmer. I know some of the SNUG cards use this chip or a variant. Maybe there is a compatible 512k chip that could be used in its place? It has to be programmable by 128 or 256 byte sectors, like the 29c040 or 29c040a. I thought Winbond made some similar chips, but I have no experience using those varieties.

Give me some time. I just bought some of the ATMEL chips and some of the equivalent WINBOND chips (both in DIP variants). I'll do some testing once they show up. . .as I'll probably need some of these eventually too (I have lots of SNUG cards).

Give me some time. I just bought some of the ATMEL chips and some of the equivalent WINBOND chips (both in DIP variants). I'll do some testing once they show up. . .as I'll probably need some of these eventually too (I have lots of SNUG cards).

thank you, sir. Having both varieties will certainly be a good check and balance.