IGNORED

TI and the MiniPro TL866 EPROM Programmer

atrax27407

I got the following disheartening message from SEE-IC. They had some TL866CS units listed on eBay.

Hello there,
This item is actually not available.
We are going to delete the listing.
Genuine TL866CS is not available now.
If you have any other question, pls be free to let us know.

Thanks & Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Likely won't have any effect. The problem is not the download from Autoelectric itself but rather the email/virus detection program that you are using and don't like .rar archives or .chm files within the archive (i.e., gmail). Another problem is anti-virus programs that reject the archive because of reputation violation (i.e., no experience with the program because it is new). Most of the anti-virus programs allow you to override the quarantine and run the program anyway - Norton does. See post #16

Edited by atrax27407

• 1 month later...

The old 2716 (2K) EPROMS (NOT TMS2716 which is incompatible with other 2716s) are getting a bit difficult to find and can be relatively expensive. The Chinese "rogue" suppliers have them but they are usually trash. For example, I ordered five of them a while ago and four of the chips were counterfeit and would not program. There is however, a substitution that can be made. This tip comes courtesy of Jim Fetzner:

Replacing a 2716 with a 2732 EPROM
A 2732 EPROM is backwards compatible – almost pin for pin – with a 2716 EPROM. There are only minor differences between the two chips. Pin 20 on the 2732 is G*/VPP and G* on the 2716. That means there is no problem between the two of them signal-wise. Pin 21 is A11 on the 2732 and Vpp on the 2716. Again, there are no problems there as well. The direct substitution is a “no brainer” as long as one only programs the first 2K of the 2732 chip since A11 is held low when in a circuit.
Both of the EPROMs are a 24-pin package and all of the other signals with the exception of those two pins are identical. Since you aren’t using the one address pin that is different, and it is always held low when in circuit, there won’t be any issues with it at all.
The only consideration is to set the program range of the 2732 as >0000 to >07FF (or 2K) before starting the programming procedure on the MiniPro . This will restrict all of the code to the first 2K of the 2732 and it will function as a 2716.
  • Like 2

Got a question. I've got an original Myarc 512K card eprom without the Myarc XB Eprom upgrade. It can not be read.

Can I erase that Eprom, and burn an image onto it that has the XB support? What I am not sure is whether because it can not be read/locked, that erasing the eprom will allow subsquent write/read/verify.

What I am wanting to do is to change the boot path of Myarc Basic to TIPI.128KOS, instead of DSK1.128KOS.

Thanks for the feedback.

Beery

I am not the expert here of course, Beery, but it should be a piece of cake. If you are using a mini pro, just be sure to remove the check from the id field if it is not a listed eprom. And be sure the eprom holds the amount of data, not to small, which you are more than likely aware of.

I have several different "flavors" of Myarc 512K EPROMS. Is there a version number on the one you have? Maybe I can match it. If so, it should be a relatively easy chore to edit the code with a hex editor and re-burn an EPROM. The DSR is an 8K DSR so you can use most any 2764 chip for it.

Edited by atrax27407

I've got an image, I just want to make sure before I erase an eprom that was pulled from the card that was working, that with an erasure, I could still reprogram it. If there was some kind of fuse that prevented reading, I wanted to make sure I did not trash the eprom from ever being useable again.

I don't know how the chip is made "not readable", but want to make sure a chip that was "not readable", could be erased and reprogrammed.

I've got an image, I just want to make sure before I erase an eprom that was pulled from the card that was working, that with an erasure, I could still reprogram it. If there was some kind of fuse that prevented reading, I wanted to make sure I did not trash the eprom from ever being useable again.

I don't know how the chip is made "not readable", but want to make sure a chip that was "not readable", could be erased and reprogrammed.

eproms are readable.. or they are broken.. so likely.. its broken easily replaced by a 2764 or 27128 burned 2x with the same image

Greg

Not completely accurate - EPROMs have an encryption byte that, when set, renders them unreadable by an EPROM programmer. When they are erased, the encryption byte is also erased and the chip can be re-used. There is a way around the encrypted chip dilemma, however. Tony McGiovern wrote a program years ago that will do a non-destructive read of the DSR of a card or peripheral device "in situ". All you need is the CRU address and the file length(which can be easily changed in the source code). It runs exclusively from F'WEB and saves a complete eprommable file to disk. In essence, you are indirectly reading the EPROM.

Edited by atrax27407
  • Like 2

SEE-IC has 55 TL866CS eprommers listed on eBay. I don't know if they are original, authentic units or counterfeit. However, SEE-IC has proven to be reliable in the past as far as chips are concerned, Caveat Emptor. Contact the seller for details. I don't know if this is a new listing or a re-post of the one taken down earlier.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Speed-TL866CS-Programmer-USB-EPROM-EEPROM-FLASH-BIOS-AVR-AL-PIC/171997875525?epid=1348334480&hash=item280bdf4d45:g:up8AAMXQ8odRHahe

Edited by atrax27407
  • Like 1

Here is the entire notice (complete with grammatical errors in Chinglish):

Notice : Old model TL866A/CS programmer is off the shelf

1. We has already recycled and destroyed the TL866A and TL866CS programmers that are not sold by authorized dealers. If there are some TL866CS/A programmers in stock, please contact us for return processing. (return time limit: 2019-6-30 )

2. The stores immediately stopped selling the old TL866CS/TL866A programmer. At the same time, all e-commerce platforms (Taobao, Ebay, AliExpress) are off the shelves.

3. Please note that the TL866A/CS be stopped delivery in February 2018. It can be confirmed that the TL866CS TL866A products sold on e-commerce platforms such as AliExpress, Ebay and Taobao are all pirated and counterfeit products. We are proceeding to defend the rights. At the same time, warn the user, do not buy the old TL866A/CS model by listening to letter.

Haikou Xingong Electronics Co.,Ltd

2019-3-16

Edited by atrax27407

Is there a real replacement or a pin-compatible alternative for the chip AT49F040-90JC?

The chip is hard to come with, contains lead and is not RoHS compliant.

I got the Mini Pro and two pieces of PCB Fetzner Ubergrom board and will buld my own Cartridge. The problem is that the 1284P is easy to get, but the AT49F040 ... chip is not.

Nice greetings

Gernot

You can use the 29F040 as a suitable substitute for the 49F040. Pinout and voltages are the same.

I use the 49F040 mainly because I still have something in the range of 1,000 of them to supply parts for my projects.

Edited by Ksarul

You can use the 29F040 as a suitable substitute for the 49F040. Pinout and voltages are the same.

I use the 49F040 mainly because I still have something in the range of 1,000 of them to supply parts for my projects.

Thank you for the information.

is good for me, because otherwise the project Self-Catrige would be over again.