IGNORED

TI and the MiniPro TL866 EPROM Programmer

atrax27407

3 hours ago, Keatah said:

Anyone know where I can get a list of Device IDs? For example, Device ID = 97 85. Who makes it and what is it? TI 27C512 15JL.

Or is this information generally mfg specific and too arbitrary to include in a comprehensive list?

The Device ID data is manufacturer-specific and chip specific too. The main problem with using it is that there are so many fake chips out there now with no Device IDs at all, that the whole Device ID system is starting to work more like a "genuine chip detector" than as the failsafe identifier it was intended to be when programming a chip.

The other problem is that there is no comprehensive list of Device IDs that I've ever come across. There must be one out there somewhere though, as comprehensive lists are built into the software for every single EPROM burner known to man. I suspect that the easiest course of action for a manufacturer adding a new chip to their software is to get one, read out the Device ID, find the correct programming algorithm from the data sheet, and add everything to their EPROM programming list. Eventually, they'll have a pretty comprehensive data set in there.

• Like 1

So, I still have the original 866 that Bob sent me the link to on eBay (the legit one).  Still running v6.85, no issues.

What makes the II special that I would want to upgrade to it?  Also, there are 200+ sellers on ebay selling it right now, so which one are the legit ones?

3 minutes ago, atrax27407 said:

All of them are probably legit. The T56 was available on Ebay from the manufacturer for $156. Keep in mind that the TL866II will NOT do anything above 18V.

So, back to my question - what won't my 866CS do that the new ones (TL866II and T66) will? :)  

I've been able to handle just about everything so far that I need - 1284P, 27XX, 27XXX, 29FXXX, 49FXXX, 27C010/020/040, etc.

The only thing I have ever had difficulty using the 866CS or my 844USB (BK Precision/Elnec) programmers for has been PALs/GALs.  Those are the really strange beasts that I have trouble reading/programming.

On 4/3/2020 at 5:55 AM, Keatah said:

Anyone know where I can get a list of Device IDs? For example, Device ID = 97 85. Who makes it and what is it? TI 27C512 15JL.

I think this may be a trade secret between the IC vendors and the programmer vendors.  I was trying to find a device ID for a AMD AM27C256 the other date, and came up with zilch.  Its not in the official AMD AM27C56 data sheet, which should be the source of all technical data. The reason I needed this is I have three different AM27C256 which all produce diffident device IDs on my MiniPro TL866II plus.  Unless I uncheck the "device ID check" box, the EPROMs won't program.  Anyone else seen this?

They are likely "midnight runs" of the chips from China. Counterfeit chips are the norm in chips produced there. I always uncheck the ID box if the chip is one from other than a verified US source. The US chips may cost more individually, but they are better in the long run. You can get up to 50% of defective chips in an order from China that will not program at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atrax27407 said:

The US chips may cost more individually, but they are better in the long run.

Agree 100% on sourcing ICs from China.  Hit or miss at best.  Sometimes its worth taking the chance and sometimes they're the only source. 

These parts were from a reputable US distributor, so I would have expected them to be the real deal.  Of course no one has made 27C256 new for almost 30 years from what I can tell.  All mine have date codes from the '80s.

• 1 month later...

After lots of planning (and the genius of Jim Brain) there is finally a way to substitute a standard 2764 EPROM for the rare TMS2564 that is used in some of the original TI gear. The adapter boards are now available on his web store either as bare boards or as complete units.

https://store.go4retro.com/vintage-computer/2564-adapter/

• 3 weeks later...

There have been several interim updates to the TL866+/T56 package and the current version is V10.15 which can be downloaded from the website. The Version number posted on the website (and update history) has lagged behind the actual development. However, clicking on the icon will download the latest version of the software. The complete update history is available on the "Forum" section.

Here:

http://www.autoelectric.cn/EN/TL866_MAIN.html

Edited by atrax27407
A
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello to all,

Can you be kind to give me an specific link to download the latest driver for my MiniPro TL866CS. Yes, it made in China. When I plugged , it does show Red LED on but no driver available. So if I download then my browser blocked this link and it say, dangerous virus in red PAGE. It is nice to have this lovely device programmer for any chips to burn-in !  minipro_setup.rar, this file is so HARD to downloading ! It take forever to downloading , never able to finished. I can't find directly link that easy to download into my torrent program.

Edited by Caterpiggle

Thank you atrax27407 and it works on my program. Now, what I need the correct blank EEPROM chip...

I was recently re-flash firmware as required. It does showing orange LED blinking (of course, no IC installed). Just the hardware.  Is your last number "27407" is byte count on your TI99/4A computers ?

Yes, I do appreciated your provide software above. 

Just a tiny confusing about the version different above yours : 10.29 but my App software Ver stated "6.85" and Firmware 03.2.86.

So what is your number 10.29 reference to what software or different programs beside MiniPro_Setup685.exe ?

Have manual book for this program ?

A little off-point. So you are using your Mini Pro TL-866 Hardware for your EEPROM chips on your TI-99/4A computers + cartridges ?

Edited by Caterpiggle

And note: loading versions of the software between 6.82 and 6.85 (the last versions compatible with your programmer) will brick your programmer if it is a counterfeit. It is possible to recover from a bricking, but you have to cut a trace on the circuit card (the procedure for that is on the Autoelectric (XGECU) website) and reload the software that was originally SHIPPED with your programmer.

This problem generally only occurs if you bought your hardware new within the last two to three years, as pretty much everything available after the beginning of 2018 was fake/counterfeit. Older devices are almost always original, and won't have this problem.

• Thanks 1