IGNORED

TI and the MiniPro TL866 EPROM Programmer

atrax27407

I have an adapter coming Friday or Saturday that will allow me to do 1 Meg and 2 Meg chips on the TL866CS. Then, of course, I just had to order a couple of each (27C800 and 27C160) to play with as well.  It will also do 27C322 (4 Meg) and 27C400 (512K) as well. The chips are done in 512K chunks. We'll see how this works out!

Edited by atrax27407
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Frank N said:

Is there a programmer that will let you create a part?  Need  to read  really old roms and PLA's. 

One note, a lot of those really old PLAs had their fuses blown to prevent you from reading them out to copy them. Most of the time, you have to find copies of the equations used to generate the original programming (sometimes this exists) or go through the somewhat laborious process of running it through a cycle that tests every single input combination, record the outputs, and use that to figure out what the original program code was doing (this should let you recreate the equations, which can be used to recreate the programming file).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After struggling to use the TL866II Plus to try to program some 2732 (which failed, probably because they were fake EPROMs) and then making a rather ugly 27C128 adapter on the fly (see video below), I would love to make or buy a small PCB that has those adapter connections built-in. Before I just make my own, is there one already available? Either as Gerber files or ready to buy somewhere?

My initial search failed to find anything (mostly this thread comes up, but it seems to be more about the adaptor for the 2732 instead of a 28-pin one like I need).

• Like 1

The failure with the 2732s probably had another cause: programming voltage. I'm pretty sure that the TL866-II lost the ability to program 21V chips. For those you would need a TL866CS instead. You do have to be careful even there, as early 2732s require 25V, but most later ones seem to be tolerant of 21V and all 2532As are 21V chips.

On the adapter, I haven't seen any 2732 to 27C128 adapters either. There really hasn't been a need for such, as most of us can program the 2732s.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

The failure with the 2732s probably had another cause: programming voltage. I'm pretty sure that the TL866-II lost the ability to program 21V chips. For those you would need a TL866CS instead.

Right, I saw that too. And after it failed, I tried the trick of applying 21V to VPP directly to one pin and it made no difference either. At that point I wasn't sure if it was the programmer just not supporting them (even though they claim to) even with the applied voltage, or if they were fake chips. The fact that they all had different die sizes and shapes doesn't fill me with confidence. If you're familiar with legit 2732s, can you have a look at the video and see if you think they're fakes?

Here's the link with the time stamp to the close up (04:30) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, atrax27407 said:

Yeah, but I can't program the 2732 easily either with my crappy programmer. I'm looking for a 27128 -> TMS2532 (so, 28 pin to 24). If not I can probably easily make one this evening, but I figured I would ask first in case there was one available.

Most of the "A" variants are reduced voltage chips. The required voltage, however, depends on where the manufacturer started with the original (ex., 25V to "A" 21V, 21V to "A" 12.5V, etc.). I always download and examine the chip manufacturer datasheet before I order a batch of new chips and compare its specs with similar chips that I have in stock (I keep a table). If the chips are JEDEC-compliant (most are), to an EPROM programmer one 2764 (or 2732, 27128, etc,) looks very much the same as another. The only difference is usually the voltage requirements and pulse interval requirements. Programmers like the TL866CS/A and TL866II will program them even if they don't expressly appear in the "Support List" as long as the voltage and other requirements are the same for the "new" chip. In fact, those values can be manipulated in the programmer to a greater or lesser degree before you start burning the code. Just use a chip with similar requirements as the template and program the "new" chip as if it were the chip in the template. It works almost every time. Some of the others that are not on the Support List will need an adapter.

For example, some years ago Tony Knerr discovered that the TMS2532 (25V) and the TMS2532A (21V) were really the same chip (neither are on the TL866CS Support List). Both are tolerant of being programmed at 21V without any problem whatever and by the extension so are the Motorola and Hitachi equivalent chips as well since they were licensed by TI. However, three of the lines needed to be changed to find an acceptable JEDEC template to use. So, he came up with a small adapter (Post #18) which used the TMS2732A (21V) as a template. I have programmed several hundred of them over the years on my TL866CS using this process. The only "hiccup" was when I ordered some chips from a Chinese supplier some years ago, half of which were blatant counterfeits and would not program at all. Now, I order from Unicorn Electronics or a very few reliable Chinese sources that I have had favorable dealings with in the past.   

Edited by atrax27407
Additional info
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...