IGNORED

TI and the MiniPro TL866 EPROM Programmer

atrax27407

About a year ago, @InsaneMultitasker was working on a project for the Geneve that required an ATMEL AT29C040A chip. He had been trying to program it with a QX-series eprommer which apparently had a faulty algorithm that completely "trashed" the chip and rendered it unusable. Anyway, he sent a couple of chips to me to try (read, program, etc.). All I was able to do was to confirm that they had been trashed.

@Ksarul, @InsaneMultitasker, and I then embarked on a search to see if we could find an adequate replacement for them. The ATMEL chip has become expensive at <>$10 per chip and the Chinese sources have proven to be unreliable as far as chip quality in concerned. After a couple of months, we settled on the WINBOND W29C040 as a replacement - and it is an EXACT replacement - the specifications match 100%.

The ATMEL chips were also used in the SNUG HSGPL Card and it was nice to find a replacement that could be used on those cards as well. However, it does require an alteration to both the DSRLDR3 program AND the HSGPL80/81/82 programs (they comprise the CALL HSGPL in BASIC) to allow that chip to work with the HSGPL. 

Edited by atrax27407
  • Like 2

As an interesting note. The last section of this document has a listing of the manufacturer name changes. This reflects acquisitions and mergers. It should help to track the changes in chips.

On my personal copy, I converted the .pdf to a .docx file and used the highlight utility in WORD to highlight the chip manufacturers in my inventory. I also highlighted (in a different color) the major flash drive manufacturers so I could check them for counterfeit chips as well. I used a third color to highlight the manufacturer name changes. With all of that done, I converted it back to a .pdf file. It makes it easier to find the appropriate chip. 

Edited by atrax27407
  • Like 1

Hmm! I was having a problem getting my TL866CS to correctly display the chip ID when read from the top menu under "Read ID". I solved the problem. You MUST have the correct chip selected in the "Select Chip" menu. It ONLY works with certain adapters (ex. TMS2732A->TMS2532 does not work). My next project is to compile the individual product codes for the chips in my inventory - that will take awhile! 

Edited by atrax27407

I started going through the chips in my inventory checking them against the Manufacturer's ID. The result was that I found several that were very creditable counterfeits. They appeared to be genuine but the Manufacturer's ID didn't match the JEDEC list. That doesn't mean that the chips are not usable - just not genuine. Over the years, I have found bunches of chips (all of Chinese origin) that didn't have the correct Manufacturer's ID byte. However, the chips programmed very nicely if the "Chip ID" box was left unchecked. That became my usual procedure for all Chinese origin chips. I even found a chip or two in my inventory that the labelling had worn off and I had mis-identified. I was able to identify them and put them in the correct compartment. All of it was done using the Manufacturer's ID byte and Product ID byte. I'll try to finish everything up in the next few days.

• Like 3

I finally got through my chip inventory. There is some "interesting" information to be discovered. First, The TL866CS will NOT read the Manufacturer ID on some chips. It appears the the algorithm is just not in the software. When the algorithm is missing, the "Read Chip ID" selection fades and cannot be accessed. This happens most often with 2732 chips for some reason.

Again, there are apparently only a limited number of "Read Chip ID" algorithms in the software. I found that selecting some 2764 chips will allow you to read those made by more than a single manufacturer. It turned out to be of some advantage. I discovered that one of the counterfeit 2764 was really a disguised TMS2764 even though it was re-branded as from another manufacturer. The test correctly identified it as such and the Chip ID was verified when I tried to program it (which it did successfully). Clever people these Chinese.

Oh yes, I found a cache of ST M27128 EPROMs that I had stored out of sequence and not entered in my inventory - +11 chips!

Edited by atrax27407
  • Like 4

On 11/23/2020 at 7:34 AM, atrax27407 said:

The T56 is supposed to do Vpp 25V chips but the TMS2516 isn't listed as "supported". You would have to check the entire support list to confirm which 25V chips are supported.

I have been successful emailing the company and requesting additional support.  The ver 10.50 included support for logic test of the 74259 and 74688 that I requested as well as support for the two versions of the 2M SRAMs used in the SAMS 4M board.  That happened in the matter of about a month; I was surprised and pleased to see that.

• Like 1

They are VERY actively supporting the T56. I might go ahead and get one but, for now, the TL866CS serves my needs. It will do just about every chip that I need for the 994/A with the proper adapter. I'm sure that the adapters would work with it as well (i.e., for the TMS2532). There are still some of the older chips missing from their support list but they update it along with each of the firmware upgrades. 

I have encountered some very interesting information during my search for manufacturer/product ID numbers. It seems that at least some of the older chips are no longer being manufactured by the original manufacturer. Some changes are the result of mergers, etc. Most, however, are the result of chip production not being profitable for the original manufacturer. For example, TI no longer produces the TMS2532 and ST no longer produces the M2732A. That doesn't mean that the chips are "out of production". The TMS2532 is now produced by Rochester and the ST M2732 is now produced by Intel and Rochester. The original companies sold/assigned the rights (including the chip dies) to those companies. Since the latter are using the original dies, I would surmise that the manufacturer/product ID numbers reflect the original producer.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Schmitzi said:

Hi,

is the TL 866 CS no more supported by the manufacturer ?

I cannot find the actual firmware or anything

It is no longer supported, and if you are trying to update to the 6.85 software revision, be aware that if your TL-866CS is a fake, the software WILL brick your programmer. The Autoelectric site shows a mod that will allow you to unbrick the programmer, but even then, you have to load the software revision provided with your programmer to get it to work (although versions up to about 6.80 should work if yours is older than that). The bricking function was introduced in 6.81/6.82. Some of the fakes use 6.82 through 6.85, with most that I've seen locked into 6.82.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1