IGNORED

TI and the MiniPro TL866 EPROM Programmer

atrax27407

A brief tip when using a 'prommer and old old old chips:

I had to clean the sides of the IC's pins before I got a consistent read. This is because regular motherboard sockets wipe two sides of the pins. Fine. That's normal. But the TL866 and all other ZIF-sockets like it make contact on the sides that aren't ever touched by a standard DIP socket. The contacting surfaces  are offset by 90 degrees.

There is no wiping action to remove the thin layer of oxidation that can build up on those narrow edges.

The simple solution is to slide the chip back and forth in the ZIF socket while it's halfway closed. This gives you the same beneficial wiping and cleaning action as removing and re-inserting in a standard DIP socket. Or manually clean the IC if you don't want wear and tear on your ZIF socket.

Try that if you have parts that aren't working/testing/programming in any 'prommer. I also had the issue with some 74xx logic from the 1970's. They'd work in the original Apple II motherboard. But would fail ID and testing when in my 'prommer. Until I cleaned the other sides. All 4 sides of a square/rectangular pin.

Ideally all vintage ICs should be given a light cleaning when the opportunity presents itself. As far as abrasives go, I try to use an eraser, gently, or paper. If needed maybe a relay contact cleaner pad. You get bonus points for using Deoxit D5 or other appropriate contact cleaner. Boss Bonus if you use Deoxit Gold. Or Gold Guard.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting! Vn 11.10 was released on 07/09/21 with an updated chip list etc. Then, Vn 11.11 was released on 07/26/21 with no additional chips listed as "supported" and no bugfixes specified. Finally, Vn 11.20 was released on 08/05/21 with additional chips and bugfixes specified. Now, Vn 11.11 has completely disappeared from the update history. I wonder what they did in Vn 11.11 ?

Edited by atrax27407

20 hours ago, atrax27407 said:

Interesting! Vn 11.10 was released on 07/09/21 with an updated chip list etc. Then, Vn 11.11 was released on 07/26/21 with no additional chips listed as "supported" and no bugfixes specified. Finally, Vn 11.20 was released on 08/05/21 with additional chips and bugfixes specified. Now, Vn 11.11 has completely disappeared from the update history. I wonder what they did in Vn 11.11 ?

Ancient Chinese Secret.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't where else to go with this problem:

I have a TL866II-Plus ver 04.02.126 (so it says when I plug it in) USB Speed Mode FS 12 MHz

I'm using Xgpro v11.30.

I can program W27C010 flash, over and over, without issues.

I'm currently unable to get any ATF22V10C plds past the Pin Detect stage. In the past, these have programmed ok (more than 2 years ago).

It's always failing to detect pin 8 or pin 22 (out of DIP24). With the PLCC adaptor, it was pin 8 failing for many tries, but now it's always pin 22. That's third from the top, on the right.

I tried a DIP24 ATF22V10C, and it passed pin detect *once*, but immediately reported an overcurrent, and stopped.

I inspected all the pins of the PLCC, no shorts.

I tested continuity from the top of the PLCC adaptor, to the bottom pins. All good there.

All chips were brand new from Mouser.

In Xgpro, the correct IC selector is ATFV2210C(UES) for no power down on pin 4, (pin 5 on the PLCC) but ATF22V10C is the one if you want the power down pin. I tried related 22V10  IC selectors, but same outcome.

I suspect maybe the ZIF is acting up?

I'm stuck.

!! I just realized that the W27C10 doesn't use that pin, which would be number 30 on a DIP32. Hmm....

Well darn it....

I repeated all the things again tonight. I took the ZIF socket apart and inspected it - all normal. Bear to put it back together though.

Still the TL866II-Plus complained about overcurrent/short circuit if I did erase, read, or program.

I checked for shorts between all permutations of pins, and continuity between the inserted chip and the ZIF blade below...

I ran the self-test a few times. All good. But no dice.

I wondered about firmware?  Mine says TL866II-Plus Version 04.02.126.  I have XGPro 11.30 software (I think it auto-updated from 11.20 which I installed not long ago.)  But the Tools:Reflash Firmware is greyed out. I guess it doesn't have an update? Weird that it is grayed out?

So I went off to the internets to look for a newer installer or something. The https://www.autoelectric.cn site is down again.

After searching futilely, then virus-scanning somebody's installer which was older anyhow, I stuck a chip back in.

It detected. It erased. It programmed. It verified.

I did another chip. Verified it twice.

Maybe I blew some dust out of the programmer. Maybe it has some bit of solder or wire knocking about... Scary.

Onward!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just before this all started, I used the Program screen with options Flash AND Lock Bit. 

I turned off Lock Bit for subsequent attempts. 

Thursday night, I had Lock Bit on for the first go and these troubles started up all over again. 

it’s normal again after reboot. with the TL866 plugged in during Windows boot. 
What the heck is Lock Bit? It's not the security fuse?

I’m using the logic tester!   Found one bug that way. Verified all behavior of the 22V10.  

Edited by FarmerPotato

20 minutes ago, globeron said:

@9640News can I use the TL866 to program the MDOS 2.0 EPROM.

And Tipi EPROMs?  

But which type EPROM exactly is needed to order?

https://www.9640news.com/bios/geneve-v0-99-beta-bios-update/

https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2012-10-21-eproms.htm

Yes you can for both eproms.  The chip type is on the Eprom, and is different for both eproms.  One is a 27C256 and I think the other is a 27C128.  You should pull your cards and confirm.  Bob Carmany through arcadeshopper.com offers preprogrammed eproms, so if you do not already have them, it is probably cheaper to order the two if you don't have an eprom eraser to erase the existing eproms.  If you do have an eraser, make sure you read the eprom first so you have that version first.

Beery

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think my TL866-Plus has broke down.

First there was all the short-circuit warnings with ATF22V10 PLD and 27C010 Flash.  Tonight I can't get it past the errors, no matter what I try. Granted, I did spent some time trying to read a static RAM chip, because I'm sleep deprived. So if I damaged it, oh well.

I noticed that the T56 supports ATF750 and ATF2500 devices. I want to use the 750 instead of the 22V10, because it adds a lot (but adds cost $2 < $4.)

It's unfortunate that the cheap TL866-Plus doesn't support the 750. Rather than replace it for $60-$70, I've decided to splurge on the pricier T56. (XGecu store on Amazon. The $160 basic is expected Dec 31. $200 for a couple in-stock full kits.)

Chip shortage must be biting them. T56 uses a Spartan 6, and they also use a MCU (Common ST parts are backordered, Spartan 6 is backordered.)

• Like 1

No public humiliation please! ?

Something I love about the TL866 is not only being able to program eproms, but also test chips.

I should probably try burning a pal, because I know how to test those by feeding 5V in and an led+resistor on the outputs.

Does the TL866 have the ability to test programmable logic like custom PALS/GALS?