IGNORED

TI and the MiniPro TL866 EPROM Programmer

atrax27407

On 11/7/2021 at 5:06 AM, dhe said:

Does the TL866 have the ability to test programmable logic like custom PALS/GALS?

The Logic Test tab can help you do it. It is tedious but you can put in test inputs (including a clock) and assertions about the outputs. 

I wrote 24 test vectors for my last 22V10C with 10 bits of storage. it exercises setting/clearing each of the 7 bits I need. So you just have to work on the test input sequence for your PAL/GAL. 

I’m still not sure if the clock is a down pulse or up pulse (guess I need the scope).

my test vectors worked on the 866II but the clock again is all wrong on the T56.  

It’s also unfortunate that the test vectors have to be put in through the horrid GUI. the save format is some binary, where a simple text file would be so much faster to edit. 

Edited by FarmerPotato
  • Thanks 1

From time to time, someone posts a message lamenting the fact that there are few eprommers that support the old 25V chips that some of our TI gear uses. Most of the ancient chips were replaced by 21V versions in the early 1980's. Those, in turn have been replaced by the more recent 12.5V (or "A") versions. There are even 21V versions of the 2716. In a pinch, you can use a 2732 (same pin config) to replace them and simply program the first 2K. It seems that there are almost always "work-arounds" for most problems. The TL866CS/A will do 21V chips - the TL866II will not since it is limited to 18V max. The new T56 will do 25V chips.

The only nominal 25V chip in the mix is the TMS2532 (the "A" version is nominally a 21V chip) and even it can be programmed easily. TI - either by choice or chance - apparently used a single die to manufacture the TMS2532 and the TMS2532A. By extension, the Motorola MCM2532C, and the Hitachi (and other clones) which were licensed by TI and also used the same die are programmable at 21V. Some years ago, Tony Knerr discovered that both could be successfully programmed on the TL866CS at 21V using a simple adapter. The fact is, I have been able to program literally hundreds of them without fail using Tony's adapter and programming them as a TMS2732A.

I have found that, much to my delight, my TL866CS will do just about everything that I need it to do. 

Edited by atrax27407
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a question about the T56...

I'm guessing a typical USB can't supply the power to burn 25V EPROM's, but the T56 can, because it has provisions for adding a transformer?

I asked one of the vendors on ebay, if they could point me to a transformer that would work, and I got back specs.

image.png.b190e46827f4a24f11ac98f4e37d0342.png

Is anyone using a T56? Do you need the transformer to burn 25V devices? If you do, what's a good part number for the transformer?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this thread. I bought a while back the TL866II-Plus programmer thanks to this thread. It has been waiting in its box, but today I used it to program a new ROM for the Stephen Cousins' SC130 single board computer. Worked great on my Windows box. I used to hassle with a Windows 7 VM running under parallels on macOS as my previous programmer did not support Win 10, I haven't bothered trying to get virtualisation running on my MacBook Pro running Apple Silicon.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The T48 has been released and is available in the XGecu store at: https://www.ebay.com/str/xgecuofficialstore. The prices start at $57 (US).

Description:

With 40-pin TOP quality ZIF socket, newest model T48 (TL866-3G) programmer is the improvement of TL866II Plus programmer. Based on 32-bit MCU with 120MHZ and 4-layer PCB design, this professional T48 programmer support high-capacity NAND EMMC up to 256GB and programming speed is much higher. Support high-voltage chips, VPP Maximum up to 25V, that is what TL866II cannot achieve. Production of high-density SMD technology, a unified user interface, easy to use, fully functional, reliable program running of application software, ultra-small (size is almost the same as TL866II), code-runs much faster, support multi-language menu (English, Chinese, Russian, Polish, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Czech, Italian), it can automatically identify the operating system to install and run under Windows XP,2003,2008,Vista  Win7 WIN8 WIN10 WIN11. Overall, T48 offers significantly improved performance and excellent value for money.

XGecu T48 (TL866-3G)  hardware Parameters:
* 32-bit MCU with 120MHZ, 4-layer PCB Design, USB2.0 HS 480MHZ
* Volume: 10X6.5X2.8 cm (almost the same as TL866II)
* 16 independent ISP dedicated I/O, Total 56 dedicated I/O
   Dedicated 56 high-speed high-voltage isolation circuits
* VCC voltage 1.8-6.5V 64 levels adjustable, VPP voltage 9V-25V 64 levels adjustable. 
* Power consumption: 5V <500MA. Static power consumption: 60mA. Without external power supply interface.
* Self-test function, self-test each pin of VPP/VCC/GND/IO
* Suitable for developers and maintenance personnel, can do small batch production for high capacity chips, support simultaneously working with 4 Programmers on each computer.
*Support operating Systems: Windows XP,2003,2008,Vista  Win7 WIN8 WIN10 WIN11

S33bdb78a62aa46b7b9de92d14d8f757fF.jpg?width=1358&height=1649&hash=3007

Edited by atrax27407
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...