atrax27407

TI and the MiniPro TL866 EPROM Programmer

On 11/7/2021 at 5:06 AM, dhe said:

Does the TL866 have the ability to test programmable logic like custom PALS/GALS?

The Logic Test tab can help you do it. It is tedious but you can put in test inputs (including a clock) and assertions about the outputs. 

I wrote 24 test vectors for my last 22V10C with 10 bits of storage. it exercises setting/clearing each of the 7 bits I need. So you just have to work on the test input sequence for your PAL/GAL. 

I’m still not sure if the clock is a down pulse or up pulse (guess I need the scope).

my test vectors worked on the 866II but the clock again is all wrong on the T56.  

It’s also unfortunate that the test vectors have to be put in through the horrid GUI. the save format is some binary, where a simple text file would be so much faster to edit. 

Edited by FarmerPotato
  • Thanks 1

From time to time, someone posts a message lamenting the fact that there are few eprommers that support the old 25V chips that some of our TI gear uses. Most of the ancient chips were replaced by 21V versions in the early 1980's. Those, in turn have been replaced by the more recent 12.5V (or "A") versions. There are even 21V versions of the 2716. In a pinch, you can use a 2732 (same pin config) to replace them and simply program the first 2K. It seems that there are almost always "work-arounds" for most problems. The TL866CS/A will do 21V chips - the TL866II will not since it is limited to 18V max. The new T56 will do 25V chips.

The only nominal 25V chip in the mix is the TMS2532 (the "A" version is nominally a 21V chip) and even it can be programmed easily. TI - either by choice or chance - apparently used a single die to manufacture the TMS2532 and the TMS2532A. By extension, the Motorola MCM2532C, and the Hitachi (and other clones) which were licensed by TI and also used the same die are programmable at 21V. Some years ago, Tony Knerr discovered that both could be successfully programmed on the TL866CS at 21V using a simple adapter. The fact is, I have been able to program literally hundreds of them without fail using Tony's adapter and programming them as a TMS2732A.

I have found that, much to my delight, my TL866CS will do just about everything that I need it to do. 

Edited by atrax27407
  • Like 3

Got an interesting chip in the mail this morning - a MOTOROLA MCM67864C. A cross-reference shows it to be the equivalent of the virtually extinct 24 pin package of the TMS2564. Now, to sit down with the data sheets and come up with an adapter for it. 

• Like 2