IGNORED

Geneve users on AtariAge

9640News

Are you a Geneve User  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Geneve User, either with real hardware or with an emulator?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I have a PFM+ mini tower Geneve with "Windows" installed, a "work" Geneve I use for repairs upgrades and a few Geneves in various stages of broken that I plan to bring back from the dead if I ever get TI/Geneve time on the weekends again. Looking forward to taking your version of "My Term" for a spin when you get around releasing it. :)

There was a version released this past weekend and moved to the development area. You can also login to my BBS (9640news.ddns.net:9640) to grab it from there as well.

I noticed at one spot on my BBS where a character was being dropped and I think I finally "fixed" that issue. It was not showing up on other TI/Geneve BBS's as the overall character throughput was more limited than my BBS running under Windows 10 with basically no delays through the router and higher throughput speeds.

I did notice on my BBS when I uploaded the client using the client, my "block" counter was not matching up with the correct number of blocks. No problem with the transfer, just I had to make some tweaks to some code in the download part of Xmodem that I did not duplicate in the upload section. Cosmetic issue........

Right now, working on some overlay code. I've got my first overlay working, which was a bit of a challenge as it relied more on some XOP's requiring workspaces in the top page of memory. Now, I've got to tweak the code to tag files I mark when doing a directory listing and be able to go up/down levels in the directory.

The way MyTerm was originally written, code space was from >0400 to >6000. Anything above that was either for a scrolling buffer, xmodem transfer buffer, or log buffers. The log buffers and xmodem buffers could be configured up to 32K in size. I see no need for something of that size, so I have dropped it to 16K, and will probably drop to 8K once I am sure there are no issues. This will then give me more room to insert code for handling ANSI should I decide to tackle that beast. My goal now is to be able to tag files, pass that list to the transfer routine, and up/download. If I do that, then I can start to use my BBS as a file repository with the ability for others to "backup" their systems if they desire.

Beery

• Like 1

Once the raw image is prepared, I have to go through whatever the conversion process is. I think I use TI Image Tool(?) for that step? I don't think you can use a raw image directly. For the older MESS images there was a utility to convert from raw to compressed and back again.

TIMT offers a CHD-Raw exchange as well as a format change. You can even downgrade a CHD to v4 (which will bring you bad karma, of course).

I bought the MFM emulator that was a little cheaper than that $1,500 one but the problem is is that I can't low-level format it so I'm waiting for an opportunity to go over to Cory's house and he has an XT that I can format with Since I no longer have one and we'll see if it works I'm trying it with the personality card on the 4A but I'm sure if it works on that it'll work on the MFM controller on the geneve

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I never had one. I remember Stephen Shaw writing about them in the TI club newsletters I used to get but never had the chance to get one when they were on sale. They are high on the list of boards I would like to see re-made. Doubt there is enough interest to justify a run though.

• 2 weeks later...

The BIOS component is 8k. The remaining space is for MDOS (120K) and the flashdisk (128K). This PFM configuration is comprised of two 29c010 (128k) chips, though I do not recall that exact chip from my days @ cecure. The BIOS and OS chip is normally not 'visible' but it can be dumped by setting the proper 9901 CRU bits and mapping the correct page into memory. For what reason are you trying to create a backup?

• Like 1

I have a Geneve 9640 too. I made some modifications on it by adding 384Kb to the fast CPU RAM (SRAM upgrade) and by adding 64Kb to the VDP RAM.

The innards contains also a Rev2 ASCSI II card, two I/O cards and a CorComp 9900 FDC card (with M.G ROM upgrade), 5.25 and 3.5 floppy disk drives, two hard drives. The monitor I use is a Sony Multisync (the first one).

I often play with my Genny :-)

• Like 4

The BIOS component is 8k. The remaining space is for MDOS (120K) and the flashdisk (128K). This PFM configuration is comprised of two 29c010 (128k) chips, though I do not recall that exact chip from my days @ cecure. The BIOS and OS chip is normally not 'visible' but it can be dumped by setting the proper 9901 CRU bits and mapping the correct page into memory. For what reason are you trying to create a backup?

I was thinking about just in case that bad things can happen.... :)

I have a Geneve setup, it is a GENMOD version... with a fully populated 2M Memex card.

I've built a USB to XT keyboard adapter for it. Connect it to my large LCD tv with a XRGB-MINI

I've got just stock TI parts for it: RS232, TIFDC, rave99 speech in PEB...

I would love to see more reasons to turn it on... Someday I hope to create reasons myself... but I have a long road ahead of me for that.

-M@

• Like 3

Just a little teaser.

Both drives reside on the same physical Horizon Ramdisk at CRU 1400. The small 'floppy' ramdisk is bootable and I limited its size to 1600 sectors to eliminate the sector editing nonsense.

I still have research to complete before expanding the device list from SCS1-3 to SCS1-9. For now, I am using the SCSMAP command to remap SCSI ID#8 (which doesn't exist for SCSI) to SCS3. Adding a device name like HRD1 doesn't really provide any benefits and takes up space I will need for a few other ideas.

I fully assembled MDOS on the RAMHD drive. All 12,000+ sectors and 17 folders in about 7 minutes. ;)

post-25764-0-43332400-1521415904_thumb.jpg

Edited by InsaneMultitasker
  • Like 7

I have my original Geneve, purchased in 1988 and used regularly until 1992.

I have a GenMod Geneve, purchased from an elderly Milwaukee UG member, in storage, going on display for Midwest Gaming Classic Apr 13-15 in Milwaukee. I have a Myarc HFDC (Geneve only), with MFM drive.

I should start getting ready... I must find a RGB monitor (or run with TI's 13").
  • Like 4

As far as I know, I'm one of two Geneve owners in Sweden... I remember that the other one was owned by a man named Sören.

I have an original Geneve with one DSSD diskdrive and one Gotek USB drive.

Bought it used in the early 1990's, wanted a harddrive and still miss not having one... I guess it would make it a bit more easy and fun.

I was drooling at the ads about the SCSI card, but at that time I was studying and could not afford it.

In some ways I feel like a beginner again after start using it after nearly 20 years, but will catch up by using it more, I guess.

• Like 4

As far as I know, I'm one of two Geneve owners in Sweden... I remember that the other one was owned by a man named Sören.

I have an original Geneve with one DSSD diskdrive and one Gotek USB drive.

Bought it used in the early 1990's, wanted a harddrive and still miss not having one... I guess it would make it a bit more easy and fun.

I was drooling at the ads about the SCSI card, but at that time I was studying and could not afford it.

In some ways I feel like a beginner again after start using it after nearly 20 years, but will catch up by using it more, I guess.

Did you buy yours from RDB Enterprises, here in the US? I sold one to someone overseas, about that time frame.

Are the folks that have a Geneve but are not using it, or the folks that are wanting one, using MAME/MESS for emulation?

The reason I put the poll up was just trying to get an idea if any software I write on the Geneve/MDOS side will see much use beyond myself.

I may have marked the wrong answer. Back in high school, I was a Myarc dealer. I believe our last Geneve went to the Portland TI User's Group about 3 years ago. I am interested enough to say that I'd load up an emulator if something interesting came out.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking about just in case that bad things can happen.... :)

I tried dumping the core routines this evening. I need to dig up the schematics and my programming notes for the device. I think this one uses a different CRU to map the chip into visible memory. When I wrote the original core updates and dump programs (20+ years ago) the idea was to get everyone updated to the 512K chip. Such lofty ideas I had back then. ;) Remind me in a few weeks if I haven't gotten to it by then.

• Like 1