IGNORED

TI-99/4A Stuff - The "what I'm looking to buy" topic.

Omega-TI

My Dad actually sold a few TI's to some of his friends and family. I don't know the history, but I think one distribution method was multilevel marketing. I remember us having the Demonstration cartridge for this reason. I have the image of Demonstration on my FG99, but it would be nice to have a real one too...

• Like 1

My Dad actually sold a few TI's to some of his friends and family. I don't know the history, but I think one distribution method was multilevel marketing. I remember us having the Demonstration cartridge for this reason. I have the image of Demonstration on my FG99, but it would be nice to have a real one too...

Tronics was just such a company... it was headquartered in Fort Worth TX and relied on a multi-level marketing program to distribute hardware and software. I still have the original Tronics sales program on audio cassette. My mom and dad both worked in the warehouse and when Tronics folded up, they filled up the back seat of their car with expansion boxes, cartridges, tapes, and consoles.

I wish they had a tractor trailer... but the back seat of a 75 VW Beetle was enough to keep our whole family in TI gear for a decade.

Its why Im on this forum today. :)

• Like 4

Tronics was just such a company... it was headquartered in Fort Worth TX and relied on a multi-level marketing program to distribute hardware and software. I still have the original Tronics sales program on audio cassette. My mom and dad both worked in the warehouse and when Tronics folded up, they filled up the back seat of their car with expansion boxes, cartridges, tapes, and consoles.

I wish they had a tractor trailer... but the back seat of a 75 VW Beetle was enough to keep our whole family in TI gear for a decade.

Its why Im on this forum today. :)

Ha! I asked my mom if she remembered the name of the company that my Dad was involved with, and it was Tronics. I think my dad only sold about 3-4 computers. Do you what benefit my dad received? Was he paid a cash commission? Was he given a discount on product? This is so interesting. My dad was always involved with some multilevel marking company. It was kind of his hobby. :)

Edited by sixsevenco
  • Like 1

If I remember correctly (and Ill have to go back and study my Sales tapes) it centered around volume. All sales that took place came with a commission, but the big money wasnt in the direct sales (unless you were a selling machine)... you developed residual income by helping your Down-Line achieve sales success. This meant recruiting others to sell products as well. A direct sale would net the salesman a 20% profit, and 10% would be kicked up the line and split between the recruiter and the recruiters recruiter, etc., with the percentage getting smaller as it went up the line. This meant that it paid to have a good recruiter under you, but it paid MORE if you kept recruiting.

The idea being, you build a network of salesmen and whatever they sell, you get a taste.

This marketing method worked because Tronics received large discounts from TI because they did so much volume. A good salesman could make 20% off each computer he sold, but a good recruiter could make 5% of every computer his recruits sold beneath him.

The residual income also came in the form of software and add-on hardware. The same percentages applied to software as well. You sell a guy a computer, then go back next month and sell him Extended BASIC... next month, maybe he needs some blank disks or a copy of Tunnels of Doom.

Fun stuff...

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 3