IGNORED

Homebrew War! Name your top 2 must own Homebrew games

redsteakraw

Of the ones that are actually obtainable, I'd say Juno First and...gosh, I dunno...Stay Frosty? Scramble? Stella's Stocking? Anguna? Starfire? So many great ones. Maybe I'll say Swoops because it was my first-ever homebrew way back when and, you know, nostalgia :-D (plus, it's still a great collection of addicting minigames).

The "why?" should be pretty self-explanatory on those, IMO.

Of ones that are not readily obtainable without some kind of underground mafia connection and a suitcase full of bearer bonds, I'd say Princess Rescue.

Ladybug is a must! https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=829

Exceptionally port of the arcade game, I'd say it is even slightly better than the version for the Inty or the Coleco.

Lots of gameplay here.

Chunkout 2600: https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=961

For such a simple game, there is a surprising amount of strategy and depth to this game, and I have spent many hours playing it.

Edited by ls650
  • Like 1

Two is tough...

Star Castle Arcade (have it) There is nothing like it and was my favorite back in the arcade, especially when the machine was turned up to full volume, I had a comfy stool, and a fresh big gulp.

Space Rocks (don't have it) It is exceptional.

Until DKVCS is released, then I'd replace space rocks on that list with that since I have Asteroids and it is sufficiently enjoyable. DK VCS and some of the other DK homebrews simply blow away the unplayable original coleco release.

As good as some of the space invaders homebrews and hacks are, I think the original 2600 version simply rocks. Don't get me wrong, the original arcade Taito/Midway version is great too, but something about 2600 invaders just cannot be topped. Maybe playing the hell out if it as a kid has everything to do with it.

I never was a Pac Man fan, but PacMan 4K is excellent. Imagine if that was released back in the day.

Edited by Zonie
  • Like 1

I haven't bought a homebrew in quite sometime, but I really enjoyed Champ's Ladybug and Conquest of Mars. I played both to death when they were released.

Actually, I liked Hunchy 2 as well.

Now that I think about it, my top two are probably Ladybug and Oystron.

Edited by Recycled
  • Like 1

If I could have only two?

This may come as a bit of a surprise...

Fall Down and Seawolf.

This is simply because I keep going back to them in Stella - over and over again - and never tire of them. They're both perfect games for a quick pick-up-and-play session. Fall Down is especially outstanding with two players.

This isn't to knock any other homebrews, but if it was just two, those are the ones.

• Like 1

It's hard to narrow it down to two. Right now my top 2 would be Draconian and Space Cactus Canyon, but those are also two of my most recent pickups, so "newness" is a factor. They're both amazing games and will probably stay in my top 5, but once that newness wears off, old favorites like Oystron, Fall Down and Ladybug might creep back ahead of them.