IGNORED

Homebrew War! Name your top 2 must own Homebrew games

redsteakraw

Medieval Mayhem. Challenges Bomberman as best 4 player same screen game ever.

Thrust+ A superb entry in the gravity shooter genre - one of my favourite types of game.

Both games are technically stunning but have the gameplay to back it up.

Edited by davyK
  • Like 1

I didn't find Medieval Mayhem to be much of an improvement over warlords, other than the graphics. The gameplay is nearly the same.

Really? Warlords:

• 1 fireball
  • fireball has 2 speeds
  • fireball travels in 4 directions, NW, NE, SE, and SW
  • Each player can release the fireball in 1 of 3 directions (a released fireball can travel N, E, S or W, but reverts to one of the above once they bounce off something)
  • a player could hold a captured fireball forever, effectively ending the game.

Medieval Mayhem:

• 3 fireballs
  • fireballs have 7 speeds
  • fireballs travel in 32 directions
  • each player can release the fireball in 1 of 9 directions.
  • while a player could hold a captured fireball forever, it will flare up and take out bricks from their own castle which exposes them to attack by the other players with the other fireballs.
  • Like 4

Medieval Mayhem

• 3 fireballs
  • fireballs have 7 speeds
  • fireballs travel in 32 directions
  • each player can release the fireball in 1 of 9 directions.
  • while a player could hold a captured fireball forever, it will flare up and take out bricks from their own castle which exposes them to attack by the other players with the other fireballs.

This is the first home brew I ever bought. Back when my son was a single digit midget and playing 8-bit consoles we played the crap out of this one. He would always ask to play it. Now he's a teenager and all he cares about is Xbox One. icon_sad.gif

• Like 1

Here are a few videos showing the gameplay the new homebrew GATES, and a high score contest that is currenlty underway:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/276511-gates-gate-crasher-atari-contest/

20 more interesting homebrews from limited runs are available here that push the 2600 with a blitter and display lists like the A8:

http://relationalframework.com/Atari2600gamesonline.htm

Encourage programmers to try the game maker BASIC - some of these games (including GATES) are written in only 10 lines of code!

It strangely feels like something of a cop-out for me to say it, but Halo 2600 really is just a fascinating little project that I have a ton of respect and interest in. A channel I'm quite fond of (Stop Skeletons From Fighting) just recently put out a video delving into the history and development of it, and it's just been on mind again ever since.

I didn't find Medieval Mayhem to be much of an improvement over warlords, other than the graphics. The gameplay is nearly the same.

It's a far better 1 player game. And it also supports multiple fireballs and there are more angles of attack. The official cartridge is still a great game and worthy of attention - the home-brew takes it to the next level.

Edited by davyK
  • Like 1

I disagree. The enemies are too easy to kill. This is a game best suited for up to four players.

What I meant there was that it is a better 1 player game than the original Warlords is. You can select the difficulty level by choosing which castle to defend.

As you say though - it's best as a 4 player game.

Edited by davyK

I disagree. The enemies are too easy to kill. This is a game best suited for up to four players.

Agreed, they're difficult until you figure out how to defeat them, at which point solo games lose their appeal. I doubt I'll ever revisit it, but if I did I'd definitely revamp the AI.

Dungeon

A true turn based RPG for the Atari 2600 that can be played through in roughly half an hour. A very well designed game that plays great and offers a lot of variety and replay value since the item locations, enemies, and the player's starting stats are randomized every time you play. There's really nothing else like it on the system and it's become my go-to game whenever I have a little time to spare and need an RPG fix.

Lead

My favorite shoot 'em up on the system. Lead features fast paced and frenetic vertical scrolling shmup action with a kick ass soundtrack and plenty of challenge. The only complaint I could possibly make about it is that you only get one life and that's it. You can continue from the stage you left off on when you die, but your score is erased so there's not much point in continuing if you're playing for a high score. I'd much rather you were given 3 lives and no continues, but in spite of the odd design choice in that regard it's still an outstanding game and easily takes the #2 slot for my favorite Atari 2600 homebrew games.