IGNORED

Lunar Mission

Retrospect

Lunar Mission

Works in Extended Basic with 32K and joystick 1

Rescue six astronauts trapped on various planets.

Use joystick to control scout-ship in main game, all directions, thrust, slowdown, left and right.

For bonus screen, use left and right and push forwards to fire at UFO's

post-34058-0-08239400-1520887507.png

------------------------------------------------------------------

Game finished!

* Player now has better control of the rescue ship, use back to thrust, forward to descend, left and right.

* Fuel has been added, be conservative with the thrust and you shouldn't have any issues.

(when fuel runs out, gravity is a real bitch)

* Bonus stage now fully works and has UFO's slide in and out of the screen for you to shoot at for extra fuel and bonus points

* 6 levels of play, each one a little harder than the last.

LUNAR-M.zip < FIAD file type

mission.zip < EA5 files type in V9t9 format

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 13

Thanks Fabrice & Retroclouds. Yes the game is a challenge.

You'll notice if you get to the bonus screen, sometimes an enemy can be killed even if you missed them. This is due me using a transparent sprite that runs across the top of the bonus screen, used as a timer (gets to pixel 255 and bonus screen is over)

This needs moving to the bottom beneath the player by at least 16 pixels :)

There's a few issues to resolve with it such as giving it an ending after the six levels! But it's quite playable as-is so for the moment enjoy the game whilst I work on updating it. All updates will be put to the top of the thread.

• Like 2

I've done an update. Game is now 90 percent done. Sounds now play randomly, and there's four different little tunes.

When you die and it's game over you start back at level 1 now (it used to start you back one level further!)

Thinking of adding more enemies to fire at in bonus stage. Note in bonus stage the actual mothership you're controlling looks awfully like an Urbite from Parsec. Updated file on first post of this thread.

If anyone else was starting a "Lunar Rescue" type project, don't be put off, go ahead and do it anyhow. There are virtually NO lunar rescue type games for the TI99/4a and it's time there was some!

Edit: Correction , Marc Hull made a great Lunar Rescue game back in 2010. :)

Edited by Retrospect

Cool! I'll have to check this out. The graphic reminds me of an old TRS-80 game I used to play... but while it was blocky black & white graphics, it was still fun to play. I imagine this version will be even better.

EDIT

BLOODY AWESOME! I played it in Classic 99, it's going to be ported over to R.I. tomorrow. Right now I gotta hit the rack. Any plans for an FR99 version?

Edited by --- Ω ---
  • Like 1

I don't get it. I pass the asteroids. Then I try and pick up an astronaut. Fail. I try and land on an astronaut. Fail. I try and land at or pass through the help banner. Fail. And I seem only to crash when I finally reach the absolute bottom of the screen.

If I search the Gamebase for "rescue", a few similar games turn up, - like the original Lunar Rescue.

Edited by sometimes99er

There's a good reason that you fall to a certain pixel and then blow-up. It's so that I don't have to waste processing time by checking dozens of other places . It literally just has , if player position>176 or something, then blow up.

I didn't know they made so many lunar rescue games for the ti :)

It's still work in progress for now. There's another update due.

Edited by Retrospect

Thanks Omega

What would be required for an FG99 version? is that a Cartridge .Bin file?

From my understanding, many people use Classic99 to make their BIN files. From what I was told, you would load up Extended BASIC, then your program. When you get to the specific point you want, say the opening screen, you would save the entire memory contents as they appear in that instant. I dunno if some sort of additional code is required or not as I've never done it personally.

The first time I saw this was when I was beta testing for Gazoo on the Extended BASIC 2.7s cartridge. He was particularly proud of the hidden Bert & Ernie program. If you insert your XB2.7s cartridge and hit F5 to load it, but do an immediate F4 before it can load the ON BREAK NEXT instruction, you can then list out the XB program. Since the FG99 can also run Extended BASIC, I think you could have an instant loading game in cartridge form without having to mess with compiling it.

Okay. I've never had much success in that department but what I can do is, for the next update which is coming shortly, I could produce EA5 files as well as a Fiad. From those EA5 files I understand a cartridge file can be made, if that would suit FR99?

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 1

Okay. I've never had much success in that department but what I can do is, for the next update which is coming shortly, I could produce EA5 files as well as a Fiad. From those EA5 files I understand a cartridge file can be made, if that would suit FR99?

That would be great. I'm sure some kind soul will step up and make the BIN conversion from your E/A5 file(s). This would also give a larger audience a chance to to play your game. Believe it or not, there are some people out there with only a FG99 and 32K sidecar.

great game! Ciro we need a label!

Greg

Fantastic!

Greg, before we proceed with that let me check the "untested" game ending sequence and also I need to remedy a slight issue with the bonus screen. I noticed when an enemy is shot the screen stops for the duration of the explosion. I can remedy that by tomorrow ;)

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 1