IGNORED

Jaguar T-shirts on redbubble

LS650

That’s complete garbage. No way will give that group money at this point. You have done nothing put help promote the legacy of a system they don’t even ever acknowledge ever existed. There is such a small group of us that appreciate the Jag and it’s small library it’s truly amazing they did that.

Keep up the good work! The Atari we all knew is and loved is not this group.

• Like 1

Looks good but I am finding that 'internet' shirts really don't hold up like old fashioned shirts do nowadays. For instance, other than the black fabric having faded somewhat, my 20 year old Alice In Chains T-shirt looks newer than most of my shirts that are less than a year old!

That's the pro and con of the modern guys. It's not traditional silk screen, but but because of that you can get any design printed with just a vector image or what have you...

Oops, I forgot to include this one, which was also among the forced take-downs:

post-1220-0-09619500-1528858338.png

I didn't think something like this could possibly infringe on any copyrights or trademarks, but I'm no lawyer, and likely quite ignorant on such matters.

I didn't think something like this could possibly infringe on any copyrights or trademarks

I bet that for most/all of the stuff you got trouble for, the rights either:

- have expired

- no longer belong to Atari

- didn't belong to Atari in the first place

- don't actually exist (i.e. they didn't apply for protection back in the day)

Intellectual property lawyers are known to aggressively issue cease-and-desist, even when they don't have an actual legal case: it's a way to justify their salary, and it often works because the other party doesn't want to be involved in a legal battle.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 5

Some of that is very questionable - I really don't get it.

Is there any sort of process to appeal the decision?

Sure there is. For about a grand, you can get some lawyer to send them few letters, back and forth.

But usually, around third round, there's a court date set, and that's something lawyers tend to charge quite a bit more. Plus, court fees, transportation wherever the hell their domicile is, accommodation for you and lawyer.

It's fun - who'd rather pay for a summer vacation when they have a court-staycation :)

This one is for "Atari."

https://www.redbubble.com/people/reiddesignhauss/works/31337061-video-games-happy-make-me-you-gifts-for-video-gamer-console?p=sticker

Way to go, "Atari," for small-ball jerk antics and shooting yourself in the foot. Is "Atari" selling stickers by the piece? They're missing an opportunity to get their name out there, for free, with people who care.

I like RedBubble and am the kind of person who puts stickers on things. I used to like Atari but their behavior of late means I won't participate in their brand advocacy. By going after Redbubble like this, Atari made themselves significantly easier to ignore.

Nintendo, Sega, Coleco, Intellivision, and others are represented on there. I'm fine with letting other game type things fill up my mindshare. Atari is DEAD.

• Like 2

Well, "Atari Interactive" just laid the DMCA smack-down on all of my artwork on RedBubble, claiming trademark infringement. Even though no game names or logos were used, everything I had up there is now gone.

For posterity, here are all the designs they forced RedBubble to remove:

attachicon.gifBubsy_Exclaim.png

Bubsy's yellow exclamation point. Really.

First thought was that Atari had no right to remove this as Bubsy is now a property of Accolade under Billion Soft.

What I find interesting about this is, while they don't have the rights to Bubsy, do they consider the Atari variant, the yellow exclamation point, to be something they own?

So when someone does Bubsy fan art, are they going to say "Well we don't own Bubsy but you can't do a yellow exclamation point"

And who copyrights an exclamation point? You could re-release that as "yellow exclamation point" and well that would not be copyrighted.

Simply put, I remember this coming up in a search for Bubsy stuff once, that yellow exclamation point shirt, and thought it was cool that someone made that happen. But I did find it in the context of "Bubsy" and "Jaguar". Was probably the search monikers that got this tagged.

• Like 1

Ouch. Seriously, ouch: $2 million dollars for each trademark infringement, and $150 thousand dollars for each copyright infringement? I know, looking at RedBubble in the past, that there were a huge number of Atari logos in various forms offered for sale, so that's the kind of money that can put a company out of business, though they'll likely settle out of court.

Following the DMCA Banhammer, I've seen a few Atari-related designs creeping back in when I search for "Atari"... images of the CX40 joystick, a Pong screenshot, and I imagine those will be coming back down again shortly. Who knows, maybe with the lawsuit hanging overhead, RedBubble will automatically flag and ban the mention of "Atari" in any form, as if it were some horrible expletive.

I did have one design survive Atari SA's onslaught, and though it contains the text "Atari" and "Jaguar" in the image, the text description did not, so it wouldn't show up in a search for "Atari." I have three new designs in the works, even further removed from Atari IP than what I had before (I don't want to get RedBubble into any more trouble), and I think I'll omit the word "Atari" in those descriptions as well.

Edited by Shinto

Cool that survived.

I was on the fence about shelling out $200 to $300 for a Virtual VCS. Seeing this thread convinced me to save my money for the new Intellivision system.

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 2

Oops, I forgot to include this one, which was also among the forced take-downs:

attachicon.gifJaguar_TealLines.png

I didn't think something like this could possibly infringe on any copyrights or trademarks, but I'm no lawyer, and likely quite ignorant on such matters.

this is the image my shirt has on it...

you're probably right though, it's probably not infringing on their copyright, but considering they've currently got the begging bowl out and been promised a few million then its safe to say that they have a bit more money than you for lawyers...