IGNORED

What 2600 game would you like see ported to the 7800

maxdrive

With all these 'What X games would you like to see ported to the 7800' threads popping up I'd like to strongly encourage some of you to try your hand at programming and have a go at making some of these yourselves. It's easy to imagine how a port would look but surely the real fun comes from playing it.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Adventure (if the 5200 can get an Adventure, why not a 7800?), Haunted House, Star Wars Arcade, Keystone Capers (could add something like a slide/ crawl function)

On the Homebrew side, Anguna & Ature

Well, I quickly looked into it and there is 7800basic. Ature was written in batari basic. Probably I could do a straightforward port from batari basic to 7800basic without too much problems, and then start adding some more features, etc. I don't have too much time to do this though. If at least 10 people send me a private message with a request to do the port then I will give it serious consideration. :)

Ive brought this up before in other threads but I think Tapper on the 7800 could be pretty dynamite. It didnt look awful on the 2600 but the graphics could definitely be improved upon on the 7800 and a soundtrack/sound effects similar to the arcade version could be possible with POKEY support!

Gonna be honest: other than maybe graphical improvements, I don't see the point of porting a 2600 game to the 7800. I have a 7800, which plays 2600 games. If I want to play a 2600 game on my 7800, I'll just play the 2600 game. :)

After playing Asteroids, Pole Position II, Ms Pac-Man, Joust, Dig Dug, Centipede on the 7800, nobody in their right mind would want to play the 2600 versions!

Edited by SoundGammon

Gonna be honest: other than maybe graphical improvements, I don't see the point of porting a 2600 game to the 7800. I have a 7800, which plays 2600 games. If I want to play a 2600 game on my 7800, I'll just play the 2600 game. :)

Looking at 7800basic and comparing it with batari basic, I think this is not correct. Sure there are better graphical capabilities, but there is also a more memory that the programmer can use, which can make for better game play possibilities. Not to mention text output for dialogs, etc. If I were to port Ature to 7800, then I would certainly also enhance the game play.

After playing Asteroids, Pole Position II, Ms Pac-Man, Joust, Dig Dug, Centipede on the 7800, nobody in their right mind would want to play the 2600 versions!

Every single one of those, though, is an arcade conversion. I'm not exactly dying for a ProSystem conversion of, say, Demons to Diamonds or Journey Escape. :)

• Like 1

Every single one of those, though, is an arcade conversion. I'm not exactly dying for a ProSystem conversion of, say, Demons to Diamonds or Journey Escape. :)

You're right about games like that but how about that cool version of Dark Cavern? There's a lot of games that aren't worth playing on the 2600 and not worth the time to make them better! Still the 7800 needs a lot of love in the Baseball / Football department!

I think that it would have been great if Atari had done more of this "back in the day" - I would have to imagine that had Atari ownership not changed, more games might have made the jump than we saw.

I've personally wondered how the 7800 would be able to handle these games with certain improvements; seems like most 2600 exclusives that were released '86 and afterwards would have made sense.

Star Raiders (from what I know, it seems like the 320 modes would work pretty well for games like this)

Yars' Revenge (I've been kicking around an idea for a "what if YR was on the NES" style design for it)

Secret Quest (Inspired by Zelda, I'm surprised there wasn't an SQ effort made for the 7800)

Save Mary

Solaris

River Raid

Mines Of Minos

Pitfall II

Dragonstomper

Tunnel Runner

Turmoil