IGNORED

My mediocre collection

I own literally dozens of systems--it's not feasible to collect for all of them, for several reasons (well, really just three, I guess...space, money, and time are finite :-D).

Indeed. And the MORE systems you collect, the less you can enjoy one single system. Just ask Bill he'll say the same thing I bet.

I wish I could pin-down the exact time and day of when I decided to collect videogames. Or what the critical mass was. When it changed from eagerly awaited trips to Sears, TurnStyle, Venture, Toys'R'Us, and Minnesota Fats - to "hey I got a library of vidyahgamez!"

And even more so when I decided to hang on to all my Apple II material come hell or high water.

---

It seems to be turning out (informal survey and hearsay) that 4 gaming consoles and 2, maybe 3, classic computer ecologies is the ideal sweet spot for universal enjoyment. From hoarding to collecting, from programing to playing, from displaying to ... whatever. Apparently those numbers allow you explore all those aspects and more without overload or deprivation. Enough to eliminate boredom and yet not consume your hobby time to point of dissatisfaction and annoyance. So you see there is nothing wrong with a "mediocre" collection!

And if you limit yourself like that you'll go through cycles and easily explore different aspects of the collection. I'm on a documentation kick now and have been for some time. Not that I'm hoarding papers and books. I purchased only 5 manuals this whole year so far. Must have been a year since I played a game on real hardware other than a PC. Even Apple II. Who knows what will come next?!?

• Like 1

Indeed. And the MORE systems you collect, the less you can enjoy one single system. Just ask Bill he'll say the same thing I bet.

Quite so. And I've even been downsizing!

My Achilles Heel is I love hardware. Even if I'm not necessarily super into a system, I still like to have it to futz around with now and then...even if it ends up being years before I actually get around to it. For most of those, I'm content with the collections I already have for them (typically consisting of "the greatest hits") or SD cartridges/drives. Thankfully, showing systems at Midwest Gaming Classic forces me to revisit some things I don't ordinarily make much time for.

But for the systems I AM super into...I also collect console variations. :| Fortunately, that's a pretty small, elite group, and even then I've backed off...partly because I already have most of them...but at least I've decided I don't need a Sears Light Sixer to go with my dozen-odd other 2600-compatible systems, or a Super Video Arcade to cap off my Intellivision console collection! See, progress! :P :-D

(I know it sounds like I'm verging on "hoarder," but my collection is actually very well stored and organized, or even displayed, as the case may be. And I have been cutting down, swearsies! :))

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Very nice, love the arcade machines, btw. When you buy a "collection", you'll never be happy. If you only buy what you'll honestly play within a couple years time, you'll be the happiest gamer on earth.

Until you find out about emulation, realize how much space you can gain back into your life, and you look up to see how much all that plastic could net you. But for now, you're the happiest gamer on earth :).

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 1

A Technics Quartz Direct Drive Turntable, Mad Planets cab, and a Vectrex? Mediocre? Don't say such harsh things about a collection as nice as yours! :grin:

It's pretty good.

I saw the thread title and thought: "Wow! Finally a place for me to show off my stuff" (~20 PS2 JRPGs, a sort-of-rare (but not really) Wind Waker, couple of not working Game & Watches and an original PSX"...then saw OP's pics. Mediocre, it ain't :)

• Like 1

Yes. I (personally) find a couple 2 or 3 arcade cabs useful in order to create ambiance. It's when a basement becomes jam-packed with so many cabs you can't spread out and socialize that I start disliking stuff. When it becomes a maze.. it's not for me.

Any collection looks good as long as it's arrange and presented tastefully like so. It's when consoles need to be unshelved, unpacked, power-adapter located and snaked to the back, and a lengthy "set-up" process followed; that's what I dislike.

Consoles should slide out of their shelf and be ready to go, the only setup that should take place is maybe changing a controller and flipping an A-B switch to get to connected.

---

And less is more.

I couldn't agree with you more, even if I wanted to.

Totally agree. I have three cabinets in an otherwise huge living room, and I'm starting to think 3 is just too much, or perhaps the maximum one should have. They look good, add some real interest to the room... a playfulness I suppose.

All my game systems are in the cabinet under the TV, and ready to play. I don't have tons of stuff, but then put the other consoles (Saturn, Nintendo, Jaguar) in the guest bedroom.

• 1 year later...
On 12/03/2018 at 15:45, 4300 said:

Algumas fotos que eu tinha no meu celular do covil do cara. Nada de especial em comparação com muitas coleções aqui, mas, novamente, eu não pretendi ter uma coleção enorme, apenas as coisas que eu gosto. Infelizmente, eu não tinha uma imagem melhor da parede de fliperama / fliperama. Há também um mundo perdido perdido que é cortado.

post-63971-0-33884700-1520879992.jpg

post-63971-0-80898700-1520880008_thumb.jpg

Adorei sua coleção..I loved your collection

• 1 month later...

So,  the wife and I moved into a bigger house late last year.  The whole quarantine thing has given me some time to work on finishing the basement. The gaming/home theater section is done,  minus the flooring,  which we'll do at the end.  The pins and arcade section is getting drywall this week. 

20200503_154922.jpg

20200401_205100.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Guess since this was bumped, I should post some new pictures...

20210920_140603.jpg

20210501_210658.jpg

16321613164595765786584984281310.jpg

Unfortunately,  I never did get the basement finished.  With the recent hike in lumber and supplies, it wasn't doable.  Hopefully I'll get on it over the winter now that prices are dropping. 

Edited by 4300
  • Like 2