IGNORED

Important news and I need some help.

Sinphaltimus

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to configure HxC without an LCD screen mod done. I can't seem to find any software that will open and allow editing of the cfg file directly. I know that the CFg needs to be changed and told that the host is a TI99/4a.

I defer to Jeff for that answer.

This is probably not an HxC gotek...

anyway all can be configured with the internal menu with or without lcd/oled screen.

Edited by Jeff_HxC2001

aaah OK, so Jeff´s new test-firmware is for the Lotharek USB (and not for the SD/HxC) ?

For the Gotek HxC... :

http://hxc2001.com/store

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_drive_emulator/HXCFEUSB_HFE_beta_firmware.zip

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_drive_emulator/USB_HFE_hxc_floppy_emulator_firmware_release_notes.txt

3 April 2018: Firmware STM32 USB HxCFloppyEmulator v3.1.22.2a

- TI99/4A : V9T9/DSK Loader -> Better disk layout detection.

Edited by Jeff_HxC2001

I have downloaded the Hxc update and trying it out on a Gotek with an unmodified TI controller (DSSD). I set it up in Menu 0 as a TI (14). It seems to be working OK with dsk and hfe images on the respective thumb drives I've tried.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for this feedback ! :-)

Sorry, I am a little bit confused now :)

I have 3 Lothareks HxC with SD-cards (plain floppy interface), but this link says something with "USB"....

Is there a beta firmware for the HxC/SD device to read .DSKs directly ?

thanks

Sorry, I am a little bit confused now :)

I have 3 Lothareks HxC with SD-cards (plain floppy interface), but this link says something with "USB"....

Is there a beta firmware for the HxC/SD device to read .DSKs directly ?

thanks

Three varieties:

HxC version one was read only, and used USB to the Windows Program to mount the HFE

HxC version two used a SD card for the HFE files

And HxC GoTek firmware uses USB flash drives to hold the HFE files.

• Like 1

Three varieties:

HxC version one was read only, and used USB to the Windows Program to mount the HFE

HxC version two used a SD card for the HFE files

And HxC GoTek firmware uses USB flash drives to hold the HFE files.

And in the SD version family there is 3 variants : Rev C (the first one), the Rev F (3"1/2 form factor) and the Slim.

Edited by Jeff_HxC2001
  • Like 2

I don't see any issues being reported so I'm going to assume HxC is working great for those who choose to use DSk files on it (along with HFE). I'm about to jump ship and do the flash floppy for testing. With no way of going back to HxC without a re-purchase I guess I'll be stuck in FF land from now on so fingers crossed.

Scratch that idea. In reading the docs I see I would need to change some jumper setting to do the USB to USB upgrade. Since that means I need access to the GoTek jumpers, I opened up my peb and had a look see. I was immediately struck with all the horrors involved in dismantling the P-Box just to gain access to a floppy drive and promptly closed it it. I'm not prepared to take my PEB apart which given the modifications i did would be nothing short of a tedious 30 minute endeavor, then another 30 to put it back together very very carefully and hope I don't break anything along the way. I guess I'm stuck on HxC on my TI and Flashfloppy on my Amiga. At least until I can justify another gotek purchase - then I can connect it externall to the TI for testing but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

To get the drives out, you only have to open the top cover and 4 screws.

(2 from the drives, on the top, and 2 on the bottom)

A good deal is to change the floppy cable against a longer one, once you are there.

I also swapped all my controllers from the last slot #8 to slot #7 (if one is spare)

This is for easiest access to the controller´s connector

To get the drives out, you only have to open the top cover and 4 screws.

(2 from the drives, on the top, and 2 on the bottom)

A good deal is to change the floppy cable against a longer one, once you are there.

I also swapped all my controllers from the last slot #8 to slot #7 (if one is spare)

This is for easiest access to the controller´s connector

Yeah, That is precisely my issue. My floppy cables are not that long and I don't have longer ones. So just doing that means the drive will get unplugged and I will have to rip everything apart just to get it plugged back in. Not just the floppy cable but the power cable as well. I never intended to have to open the PEB ever again except maybe to add another card or two or three. But never expected to have to access the internal floppy drives.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

I don't see any issues being reported so I'm going to assume HxC is working great for those who choose to use DSk files on it (along with HFE).

No. For me : No feedback just mean that no nobody have tested it.

After 2/3 weeks i got here only one feedback with very few dsk tested... It seems that very few users are interested by this feature.

Why you don't test the new HxC firmware since you have asked me this support since some months ?

Edited by Jeff_HxC2001
  • Like 1

Not sure, but maybe because most users here have the SD-card version (and not an USB-version) ? (-> I am not sure about)

I did understand it that way that the firmware given here is NOT for the drives that I have

(Lotharek HxC EmuDrive Rev.F with SD-card and Shugart floppy interface)

(Sorry if I maybe confuse everything here again, HxC, Gotek, USB, not USB)

At all, DirectDSK-Support for the drives I have really would be great :lust:

thanks

That was the problem for me--I have the SD version, so I couldn't perform any testing until I have one of the USB boards in hand. I am ordering one, just to be able to use the capability, but that will be another month or two between funds, order, receipt, installation, and then flash/test. It will happen, just not as quickly as I'd like right now.

No. For me : No feedback just mean that no nobody have tested it.

After 2/3 weeks i got here only one feedback with very few dsk tested... It seems that very few users are interested by this feature.

Why you don't test the new HxC firmware since you have asked me this support since some months ?

I'm not done testing. I'll submit results to you later today. Been a busy weekend and I really only get to test on weekends. I also misplaced my notes so I have to start again.

Reading dsk us one thing. Writing dsk is another. HFE is great for archiving but has additional steps. Dsk is widely supported with existing archives and emulation.

For people to use dsk, they can very quickly and without fuss, choose from many dsk files to try out in real iron. Or, make a back up dsk of a real floppy and go direct to emulation or just use dsk on real iron instead of physical media.

All of this can be done with hfe but it takes more steps between wanting too use the extensive archives already in existence that are dsk and also emulation that does not support hfe.

And with all the divergent variety of floppy disk controllers, I am limited to only those formats my controller supports. So details testing steps and reporting should be thorough.

I did not realize firmware versus differ between devices (sd version, usb version etc..) not how many sd versions are in use over usb. I can only test gotek.

So I'll have something to report later today on what I can do.

Hey Jeff,

I read all the missing posts for me :P

i have not possibility to use my TI PEB with HxC still, but i hope in next days to be able.

the 28th of April i will have a public event here in Italy (Rome) with a TI99 exposition so i will have to prepare some stuff to bring with me and will update the new firmware too.

in the meantime hope that someone other have possibility to try them early.

really thanks for your efforts into this update anyway, also if for me was not a problem to convert .dsk to .hfe file i think that avoid this step is anyway useful.

Ciro

Edited by ti99iuc

Hey Jeff,

I read all the missing posts for me :P

i have not possibility to use my TI PEB with HxC still, but i hope in next days to be able.

the 28th of April i will have a public event here in Italy (Rome) with a TI99 exposition so i will have to prepare some stuff to bring with me and will update the new firmware too.

in the meantime hope that someone other have possibility to try them early.

really thanks for your efforts into this update anyway, also if for me was not a problem to convert .dsk to .hfe file i think that avoid this step is anyway useful.

Ciro

To avoid any confusion :

SD HxC != Gotek HxC.

The firmware i have released here is for the Gotek HxC !

• Like 2

To avoid any confusion :

SD HxC != Gotek HxC.

The firmware i have released here is for the Gotek HxC !

Oh, ok... i understand better, sorry, the sentence:

I can only test gotek.

made me confusing. now i understand better:

(Gotek ≠ Gotek HxC) ≠ HxC SD

thanks.

Tested HXCFEUSB_V3_1_22_2a on USB GoTek:

The follow pre-existing DSK images were checked using the following method without issues:

GameOfUr.dsk reported as 40-track

Karateka.dsk reported as 40-track

FrostiSnow.dsk reported as 40-track

bouncey.dsk as reported as 40-track

TI extended BASIC cartridge inserted.

.DSK file selected via GoTek DSK1 device - HxC reports this as a 40 track image.
I load a disk catalog program called indexer from physical floppy drive DSK2

Indexer program:

100 CALL CLEAR
105 COUNT=0
110 DIM TYPE$(5)
120 TYPE$(1)="DIS/FIX"
130 TYPE$(2)="DIS/VAR"
140 TYPE$(3)="INT/FIX"
150 TYPE$(4)="INT/VAR"
160 TYPE$(5)="PROGRAM"
161 INPUT "DEVICE:":DEV$
162 IF SEG$(DEV$,LEN(DEV$),1)="." THEN 165
163 DEV$=DEV$&"."
165 REM   THIS OPENS AS IF/0 - WHICH BECOMES IF/38
170 OPEN #1:DEV$,INPUT ,RELATIVE,INTERNAL
175 REM   'ZERO' IS ALWAYS 0
180 INPUT #1:DISKNAME$,ZERO,DISKSECTORS,FREESECTORS
190 DISPLAY "DSK0 -  DISKNAME= ";DISKNAME$:"AVAILABLE= ";FREESECTORS;" USED= ";DISKSECTORS-FREESECTORS
200 DISPLAY :"FILENAME   SIZE    TYPE    P":"---------- ---- ---------- -";
205 REM   A FILETYPE OF 0 ALSO MEANS END OF DIRECTORY
207 REM   FILETYPE IS NEGATIVE FOR A PROTECTED FILE
210 INPUT #1:FILENAME$,FILETYPE,FILESECTORS,RECORDLENGTH
220 IF LEN(FILENAME$)=0 THEN 300
225 COUNT=COUNT+1
230 DISPLAY :COUNT;FILENAME$;TAB(12);FILESECTORS;TAB(17);TYPE$(ABS(FILETYPE));
235 REM   PROGRAM FILES DON'T HAVE A RECORD LENGTH
240 IF ABS(FILETYPE)=5 THEN 270
250 B$=" "&STR$(RECORDLENGTH)
260 DISPLAY SEG$(B$,LEN(B$)-2,3);
270 IF FILETYPE>0 THEN 210
280 DISPLAY TAB(28);"Y";
290 GOTO 210
300 CLOSE #1

I could index DSK1 without issue and run the games.

The following images autoload and execute on their own without issue:
TIScramble.dsk
Bouncey.dsk
The following dsk images would not index. The indexer complained about I/O error 26 in 180
2-Bad open Attribute(one or more OPEN option are illegal or do not match file caracteristics)
6-Device error(device not connected,or is damaged. this error can occur during file processing if an accessory device is accidentally disconnected while the program is running)

Zombiev45.dsk
Freddy.dsk
WizardsDoom.dsk
The following dsk images I created using TIImageTool without format.
Using Disk Manager 2 cartridge:
I was able to format (initialize) these disks, copy a file to them and run the file (Indexer).
SSSD40.dsk (Single Sided Single Density 40-track dsk image) initialized as such
DSSD40.dsk (Single Sided Single Density 40-track dsk image) initialized as such
SSSD80.dsk (Single Sided Single Density 80-track dsk image) initialized as such
I was not able to initialize
DSSD80.dsk (Double Sided Single Density 80-track dsk image) initialization attempted as such
Also - HxC reports this image as 40-track.

My Floppy disk controller does not support DD format so I cannot test any of those.

I'm including all DSK images in the zip file in case anyone else wants to verify my findings.

dsk files used.zip

• Like 1

The following dsk images I created using TIImageTool without format.
Using Disk Manager 2 cartridge:

I was able to format (initialize) these disks, copy a file to them and run the file (Indexer).

SSSD40.dsk (Single Sided Single Density 40-track dsk image) initialized as such

DSSD40.dsk (Single Sided Single Density 40-track dsk image) initialized as such
SSSD80.dsk (Single Sided Single Density 80-track dsk image) initialized as such
I was not able to initialize

DSSD80.dsk (Double Sided Single Density 80-track dsk image) initialization attempted as such

Also - HxC reports this image as 40-track.

First point : The boot sectors of these images are totally blank ! So the disk type is only based on the file size... The right disk format can't be detected in the DSSD80 case...

Please consider these images as broken...

You need to "format" them in TiimageTool to get the proper boot block.

Edited by Jeff_HxC2001

The following images autoload and execute on their own without issue:

TIScramble.dsk

Bouncey.dsk
The following dsk images would not index. The indexer complained about I/O error 26 in 180
2-Bad open Attribute(one or more OPEN option are illegal or do not match file caracteristics)
6-Device error(device not connected,or is damaged. this error can occur during file processing if an accessory device is accidentally disconnected while the program is running)

Zombiev45.dsk

Freddy.dsk
WizardsDoom.dsk

>> My Floppy disk controller does not support DD format so I cannot test any of those.

WIZARDSDOOM.DSK and ZOMBIv45.dsk are DD images, so since your controller doesn't support DD format, the error message is normal.

About Freddy.dsk : Have you tried to convert it in HFE to see if you have the same error ?

Edited by Jeff_HxC2001