IGNORED

Important news and I need some help.

Sinphaltimus

Wilco! Photos will land here with description. Thanks!

It will have to be next week though. The entire family is going on a road trip!

Something's wrong here. If it is a TI trip, it is only you. Otherwise, the rest of the family is going on the trip and you should be at home playing with the TI into the wee hours of the morning :) .

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
15 hours ago, GDMike said:

I just picked this up. I have no idea of where to start. But I have a regular TI PEB with 2 half ht floppy drives. The drives are strung together on one cable. Somehow I've got to add this new drive and make it work.

s-l400.jpg

The Gotek has to have the firmware on the chip changed. There are three ways to do this, one way is to purchase a firmware update from the creator of the Hxc Floppy Emulator, or to use a firmware called flash floppy https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki, and one other the CortexAmiga method https://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.com/   search for these terms on this forum and you should find some good help. Some of us have done it all three ways and it has been documented. Hope this helps.

You can use these instructions  http://99er.net/blog/blog/2016/05/06/using-a-gotek-floppy-emulator-with-hxc-on-my-ti-994a/

https://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.com/

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Host-Platforms

pretty much what you stated. After getting the firmware, whatever one you use, burned on the chip, afterward the process is similar and you will use the HxC file on the thumb drive. Been a year since I did this on any of my three goteks. Here is one I may have missed with some info.

I made a UsbA to UsbA cable and flashed the last gotek purchased with the FlashFloppy firmware. I was having problems getting my serial device to work properly. Using the Hxc firmware on one gotek and FlashFloppy another. No problem with either one after install.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got my new programmer. I connected to Windows 10. Dl the program from st.com and get no response on com 3. (Only port that shows up).. but when I plug up the programmer to the pc I can hear the USB added connected sound.

Anyway..I'm throwing out win 10, and will try Win7. Should I get an led light on the Gotek? I'm only getting it on the programmer.

IMG_20190725_211511060.jpg

Edited by GDMike

58 minutes ago, GDMike said:

I got my new programmer. I connected to Windows 10. Dl the program from st.com and get no response on com 3. (Only port that shows up).. but when I plug up the programmer to the pc I can hear the USB added connected sound.

Anyway..I'm throwing out win 10, and will try Win7. Should I get an led light on the Gotek? I'm only getting it on the programmer.

IMG_20190725_211511060.jpg

It looks like you've got the FTDI set to 5V mode. You might try the other setting 3.3V.

I can't see if you have a jumper on the Gotek on BOOT0?

Did you put the baud rate 115200 / 8 bits /even parity into the ST program?

• Like 1

Yes to all those questions. I'll try 3v. I'm also gonna try under win 7. 

And the programming mode enable jumpers are set.

Is it a real FTDI chip? Or is it an off brand like CHM340?  There's some risk that you have a counterfeit FTDI.

On the Properties page for the com port, you can see the manufacturer.

I use real FTDI cables where I can (one of my programmers has a CHM430 and its ok if you find the right driver on the internet.)

Here's one of mine.

Yeah I'm on Windows 7 at the moment.

FTDI.thumb.PNG.b65b44dbf5fa7b714f8720d94bac9876.PNG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GDMike said:

OK done with that part. Now what to do? It was win 10  not being able to get the com port figured out. So win 7 liked everything and I guess it's flashed. But I'm not sure of what to do next. Sorry to be a pain.

I believe that you have to go to the next step from the flash floppy wiki. https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Initial-Setup

Under Image navigation modes, I believe that we can only use these two:

• Indexed mode: Switches between image names of the form DSKA0000 and so on.
  • HxC Compatibility mode: A legacy mode requiring an image-selector program to run on the host system to pre-assign disk images to numbered slots.

And under host platforms, this:

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Host-Platforms#ti-994a

Edited by RickyDean
  • Like 1

So next do I just format a USB stick to fat32, copy the two cfg files to it and add the host=ti99 line and then v9t9 type files? I haven't seen anything regarding jumper settings yet. Thank you all 

SFR1M44-U100K-SFR1M44-U100K-R-SFR1M44-TU100K-UM.pdf

Here is a Gotek user manual, that shows the jumper info. You just want to set it as a dsk1 or 2. Make sure you undo any programming jumpers you may have set. Add the image and see if it comes up using one of the TI disk managers and if you see it try formatting and adding data. Sorry for the brevity. I am usually at work, so have to try to answer relatively quickly.

• Like 1

My RD no your fine! I've been doing this in my off hours as well, 1am last night with Eric. I just appreciate your feedback sir, we all understand these folks on these forums have other lives! Haha, well at least me, and ok just forgive Greg! But maybe I'm close to getting this up and running. But I will try to read up. Thank you!

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

Does anyone know which files I'm supposed to stick onto the usb thumb drive? I thought there was supposed to be a host.cfg? Is it under another name? So far I've copied two files, a HXCSDFE and an IMG.cfg but the docs I'm reading have yet to mention the word TI..haha of course there giving out the Shuggart drive types here, but I have no clue.

If you installed the flash floppy firmware you will need the FF.cfg file on the USB Drive as described in the setup instructions and the disk image files. To set for TI a line "host=ti99" is included in the file. I suggest using indexed mode if you just have the 7-segment display, that means your files will need to be named "DSKA0000.dsk", " DSKA0001.dsk", and so on. You can use the TI 90k SSSD or TI 180k DSSD image files with the standard unmodified TI controller. Sector images not Track images.

If you installed the Hxc firmware, it's more complicated. It involves accessing the setup menu by pressing the buttons on the gotek. Can't recall all the steps without looking it up on the website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I installed something called FFGotek-v13.hex I have no clue what that means?, but it sounds cool, I added the file FF.cfg, I made sure it said Host = TI-99, but I bet it's case sensitive, ,(why not)..I dunno, I added another file called IMG.cfg and another called HXCSDFE.cfg as well because everything I read said use these, but they also mentioned to add a upd file too, but from my understanding there are only two or three files?? And I believe something saying HX?? Should be there, along with the CFG TI host. I also see three files called FF.gotek.dfu, FF.gotek.hex and FF gotek...upd.. so I'm confused...

I powered up the drive with jumper s0 then tried jumper s1 as just the Gotek installed by itself  same results show a display of F02 flash to F00..