IGNORED

Important news and I need some help.

Sinphaltimus

All you need on the USB drive is the FF.cfg file edited to set host=ti99. With only the 7 segment display, it will be much easier to use the indexed mode and the DSKA0000.dsk, etc named images so you know what file is loading vs having the firmware assigning the files to slots. You will also need a TI dsk image on the USB or will get error

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's a video of what I'm seeing so far, and the FF.cfg has the entry host = ti-99

The drive light on the Gotek lights green when I try accessing the drive as drive 2. But the disk manager reports error. 

I labeled a program as you suggested, DSKA0000.dsk

Edited by GDMike

Uh oh... something started happening when I choose initialize. I also found some kinda program from the floppy site that let me load the cfg file and convert a to dsk file. I tried converting ea disk and it put it on the flash drive but the disk manager didn't see the file..then I chose init dsk2 and here's the video of that..I. Excited!! I have one disk created but it won't create let me select with the button on the front panel as it stays at 000

Suggest erasing the USB and copying the attached FF.CFG to the drive.  The firmware will create any other needed files except the floppy images themselves. This cfg file is setup to TI and INDEXED mode.  You can also copy an image to the USB, using INDEXED naming convention. I have also include a DSSD disk image that contains Basic catalog program, DiskManager 2k (DM2k) ea option 5.

I noticed the your FF.cfg has host=ti-99 not host=ti99

FF.CFGDSKA0000.dsk

I sure will!! I was able to get 2 disks to read but that was all. I've come a long way!!

Ok, i did that and I was able to read my drive as DRIVE 2, I dont know how to get it to be drive 1, there are no other drives..

anyway, I was able to do a directory and I was able to load DM2K from that image you sent.

Now one more thing, What is the order in which to move a DSK file to the Flashdrive? I was able to do the editor assembler A and B disks BUT nothing else would go??

So thats when you said remove the files and DL these and start over...So now Im just not sure what the order is to convert the DSK files

thank you!! im making great progress!!

Edited by GDMike

I sure will!! I was able to get 2 disks to read but that was all. I've come a long way!!

Ahhh now it's looking like the dsk files have to be v9t9 or something? I dunno, but my e/a files were v9t9  and they came across just beautiful! But 109 other files NOT vt9 did not work out .even if I said convert to dsk. So now I gotta nother step to figure out...

But thank you for everything!! 

11 hours ago, GDMike said:

Ahhh now it's looking like the dsk files have to be v9t9 or something? I dunno, but my e/a files were v9t9  and they came across just beautiful! But 109 other files NOT vt9 did not work out .even if I said convert to dsk. So now I gotta nother step to figure out...

But thank you for everything!! 

remember the disks have to be compatible physically with your controller.. if you have a dssd controller (TI) then that's the most it will do, DSDD disks won't work.. etc.. ymmv

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GDMike said:

Yeah, that's what I did..ty lol

You can make disk images with Mizapf's TIImage Tool or with Fred Kahl's TI99Dir: http://www.ti99-geek.nl/Projects/ti99dir/Files/ti99dir64a.zip

I believe they will both let you make images in the formats you need. Not knowing what your disk controller can handle, just be aware that the TI Disk Controller will only do 40 track DSSD images, unless you have the 80 track mod, then only 80 track DSSD images. These should be in V9T9 format, as PC99 is a different type of image. Plenty of info on these here on Atariage.

Edited by RickyDean
  • Thanks 1

Cant get the drive to work now...I was trying to make it a single Drive A...Set jumper JA and S0.. then tried the double ended cable OTHER end, no go...the 3 LEDs say FF-00

So i tried the jumper in all positions, S1, With and without JA..S0...etc..no go lol It was working as long as the other drive was connected but it wont fit in the case with the existing cable..

back to square one..not working at all

With keeping an original FF and HXCFDE files, I looked at confguring the HXCFDE file with the Setup Floppy tool emulator and settings there to un-use 2 drives. nothing seems to work..yes saving the file back to the flashdrive.

Do you have the configs and a file to test with for 1 drive?

Edited by GDMike

4 hours ago, GDMike said:

Cant get the drive to work now...I was trying to make it a single Drive A...Set jumper JA and S0.. then tried the double ended cable OTHER end, no go...the 3 LEDs say FF-00

So i tried the jumper in all positions, S1, With and without JA..S0...etc..no go lol It was working as long as the other drive was connected but it wont fit in the case with the existing cable..

back to square one..not working at all

With keeping an original FF and HXCFDE files, I looked at confguring the HXCFDE file with the Setup Floppy tool emulator and settings there to un-use 2 drives. nothing seems to work..yes saving the file back to the flashdrive.

Do you have the configs and a file to test with for 1 drive?

I'm confused.  The FlashFloppy firmware has no Setup Floppy tool emulator that I know of.  I have one Gotek with HxC2001 firmware and another with the FlashFloppy firmware and they are don't use the same setup files.  You can setup the FF Gotek to read the HFE images created with HxC.  My understanding is that HxC2001 drives (purchased from there) can emulate more than one floppy with the one piece of hardware.  This is not so at the present time with either firmware on a Gotek.  You should be able to use a Gotek with FF firmware as DSK1 by using a strait-through cable with the SO pin jumper and the FF.CFG file that I provided.  With S1 jumpered the drive responds as DSK2.  

If my understanding is incorrect someone please enlighten me.   

• Like 1

I got a upd msg on the Gotek, so I read some more trouble shooting tips, it led me down the path of a upd error. Correction was to make sure the hex file, updfile and FF files were installed on the flash drive AND any DSK files...so that aleviated my error at that time so I've been using those files all along..

There are so many flavors for troubleshooting these and it's easy to make a mistake.

I got a upd msg on the Gotek, so I read some more trouble shooting tips, it led me down the path of a upd error. Correction was to make sure the hex file, updfile and FF files were installed on the flash drive AND any DSK files...so that aleviated my error at that time so I've been using those files all along..
There are so many flavors for troubleshooting these and it's easy to make a mistake.
Only update when there's an update

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, GDMike said:

I'm going to jump in here, but I don't have time to get involved in this topic.  What I will tell you will make your task easier; provided you can afford a $19.00 item that connects between your GOTEK and TI disk drive cable chain.  SHIFT838 (AKA: Chris Schneider) calls it a DriveSelect board, so you can set it to "3" for your GOTEK, as I've done.  I can tell you that my Black GOTEK circuit board is different from yours, but I still think most of the strapping options should be the same.  Mine are as follows: J1 is strapped to left adjacent pin, JA is strapped to J5, Red wire connected to JB, and the Black wire is connected to pin left of JB.

Also, as Greg told you, "don't update when the update is the same version as installed or earlier".  If you use Fred Kaal's TI99Dir, you will have other problems later on related to Double Sided.  I don't have time to explain, just use Michael Zapf's TIImageTool to create all your .dsk (v9t9) images.

Good luck!

Bill

• Thanks 1

I was going to attach a file showing it working, but I don't have attachments anymore as an option on my phone?? 

But for some reason I have a image of a paperclip with the words "Loading..." To the right of it. 

Been like that since yesterday.. prob my phone..I'll reimage my phone...

On 7/27/2019 at 8:13 PM, klrw111-78 said:

All you need on the USB drive is the FF.cfg file edited to set host=ti99. With only the 7 segment display, it will be much easier to use the indexed mode and the DSKA0000.dsk, etc named images so you know what file is loading vs having the firmware assigning the files to slots. You will also need a TI dsk image on the USB or will get error

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But for some reason it works great with hex file,updfile and FF.cfg it doesn't work any other way for me. But it works now.8/2/19 added in.

• Like 1