IGNORED

Important news and I need some help.

Sinphaltimus

So, speaking of disk controllers to use with this thing, obtaining one seems like it's going to be somewhat of a challenge. I did find some schematics online, which would allow me to build my own. Before I take on that task, would it actually be worth it? Reason I ask is that the TI99 was really more of a cart based machine and it seems to me that obtaining that solution first would be a better starting point. I want to support the Gotek initiative but maybe I'm not in a good position to help with that at this time. Thoughts?

So, speaking of disk controllers to use with this thing, obtaining one seems like it's going to be somewhat of a challenge. I did find some schematics online, which would allow me to build my own. Before I take on that task, would it actually be worth it? Reason I ask is that the TI99 was really more of a cart based machine and it seems to me that obtaining that solution first would be a better starting point.

The cartridges of the TI are typically software-only. It is possible to put hardware beyond simple EPROMs inside, but typically you have to connect controllers as expansion cards in the P-Box. One simple reason: The cartridge port does not offer the address range that is used for the device drivers.

• 3 weeks later...

post-39776-0-91672000-1525949582_thumb.jpg

post-39776-0-24117600-1525949614_thumb.jpg

This is the device I have. Can it be used with this software? Is so, is there a quick run down on what to do?

Can these be setup as drive 1?

I'm thinking one of these would be pretty cool hanging on a Corcomp MES.

Sorry if I seem confused or stupid... because the fact is I am.

attachicon.gifDSC00028.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00029.JPG

This is the device I have. Can it be used with this software? Is so, is there a quick run down on what to do?

Sparkdrummer there are some threads with info about the Gotek. Start here http://atariage.com/forums/topic/277446-do-you-have-a-gotek-or-lotharek-floppy-emulator/?hl=%2Bgotek&do=findComment&comment=4002470

at post #9

Also running a search will help. There may be more than one option, but the one I used was to buy a Gotek from eBay, then purchase the bootloader from Jeff who sells the HxC and a I2C usb cable and burn in the bootloader into the Gotek and then use .hfe files produced on your computer

attachicon.gifDSC00028.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00029.JPG

This appears to be the same model of Gotek that I have, but so far I have not been able to make any of my ,dsk files work with it. It may be that all my .dsk files are 80 track DSDD created with TI99Dir or from MESS/MAME Geneve emulator years ago. Because the only DSK controllers I've used since the late 1980's are Myarc 80 track DSDD FDC/HFDC. The HFDCC mostly used with my two Geneves, so DSHD physical files are also numerous (only a few DSHD .dsk files). What I need to know, is what is the latest FF version?

i have a GOTEK rigged up. I can catalog disks but I cannot format one. If I try to delete files, they will not delete. I cannot reset a disk using Disk Utilities. I tried loading a basic file (XB) and I get an I/O ERROR 02. Have I configured something wrong?

Jeff_HxC2001 -

Thank you. I did not know that. I really have no need for an Hxc but thought it would be novel to use a Gotek on one of my Corcomp MES systems. I can probably get by with disks that I can only read from. Thank you for this software - it appears to work pretty darn good. The funny thing thus far is some disks will load software into the TI and some give me the error code listed above. I'm assuming its the way the disks were formatted? I'm having some pretty good fun playing with this.

Not having ever done this, how does one perform the update? My Gotek came with flashfloppy_v0.9.18a.upd installed, and I just down-loaded flashfloppy_v0.9.19a.upd

Everything is explained in a lot of detail from the Flashfloppy website (upgrading etc...).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can someone please provide a primer on this subject?

I may not be the only rusty or newbie person lurking here.

I'm just getting back into the 99/4A and have the giant PEB with 2 disk drives.

I have not set it up yet, so I can't remember if they are single or double sided or what density.

I might like to upgrade the PEB with one of these, replacing one of the drives when I dust it off, clean all of the connectors, check the cables and test it.

I have purchased a FinalGROM99 cartridge and it would seem to do some of what is talked about here.

Set me straight...

1. The firmware upgrade on the GOTEK flashfloppy drive allows the use of the SD card and USB version as a replacement for a floppy drive with a layout of SSSD, DSSD, SSDD, DSDD?

2. Would one need this setup still if they have the FinalGROM99?

3. Can you use funnelweb with it?

4. Is it working with all/most software now?

etc...

Thanks for listening.

SD HxC Floppy Emulator RevF 001 crop

GOTEK - 2 segment LED Screen floppy emulator

GOTEK - 3 segment LED floppy emulator

GOTEK - LED Screen floppy emulator

• Like 1

The Gotek will only work as DS/DD if your controller supports DS/DD. What disk controller do you have in your PEBox?

Memories are bubbling up... Double Sided, Double Density was my deepest desire back in the day. So my controller must be just shy of that. I can remember notching the disks by hand (so... SS). I remember the disk controller was a stock TI controller, but it might have had a very simple mod made to it... if that helps. Maybe SS/DD?

I know the stock TI controller, without a mod, was SS/SD.

I won't know for sure until I get it up and running. THAT will take some time, thus the question now, before starting the work.

Will the Gotek work with the stock TI controller? It must then be limited to SS/SD.

Do not confuse a 360K DS/DD disk (40 tracks) with a 360K DS/DD (80 track) image. They are different. A TI Controller will not recognize a DS/DD disk.

As far as your disk drives, if you had two in your system, they were likely two drives, DS/DD. If you had a Myarc FDC with the appropriate 80 track eprom or a Myarc HFDC, then you could get a 720K disk. Only if you had a Geneve could the Myarc FDC, Myarc HFDC, or CorComp FDC get 80 tracks without a modified eprom on the card.

If you get the time and can identify the card, and post a photograh of any mod(s) to the card, someone should be able to tell you what your limits are.

Beery

• Like 2

If you get the time and can identify the card, and post a photograh of any mod(s) to the card, someone should be able to tell you what your limits are.

Beery

Wilco! Photos will land here with description. Thanks!

It will have to be next week though. The entire family is going on a road trip!

If it works like the Lotharek, the only limitation is the controller. So a stock controller should give your gadget 180K DSSD or 360K DSSD with the 80 track mod.

Thank you both. I'm very interested in this. To be continued...