IGNORED

Colem SGM

chart45

now colem support sgm the new version for windows and linux can be downloaded from here

https://fms.komkon.org/ColEm/#Downloads

and the best news android version will be aviable really soon it's what Marat Fayzullin told me in his last email so i hope its by the end of the week... i also hope the wii and psp version will get the update too...

Edited by chart45
  • Like 4

The ColEm 4.3 for Android is now out as well:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.colem -- free version
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.colem.deluxe -- full version
http://garageresearch.aptoide.com/ -- on Aptoide
http://android.oms.apps.opera.com/en_us/catalog.php?vendor_id=199556 -- in Opera Store

The new version adds Super Game Module (SGM) support, including extended memory and the additional AY8910 sound chip. You will need to enable SGM using "Settings | Emulation | Super Game Module" option. The SGM state is now saved with the rest of ColecoVision state. Finally, restoring background screen color from saved states has been fixed. See below for all the changes.

ALL CHANGES:
* Released free ColEm 4.3 for Windows and Linux.
* Added Super Game Module (SGM) emulation.
* Added "Settings | Emulation | Super Game Module" option.
* As part of SGM emulation, added AY8910 PSG chip support.
* Fixed background color restored from saved state.

PS: Android version incorporates a few fixes not found in ColEm 4.3 for Windows/Linux. The SGM state is now saved in the .STA files. I have also fixed the background color not being restored correctly from .STA

• Like 2

Answering questions:

1) How to enable SGM?

On Linux, use -sgm. On Windows, use "Hardware | Super Game Module" menu. On Android, use "Settings | Emulation | Super Game Module" setting.

2) Does Adam emulation work?

Not yet. The firmware generally works, but I am struggling getting AdamNet to work properly.

3) Joystick on Linux?

Current version does not support joystick directly, but something like joy2key should work.

If you have any questions about ColEm, please, do not hesitate to ask. I will try to answer them in this thread.

Marat Fayzullin

• Like 4

Answering questions:

1) How to enable SGM?

On Linux, use -sgm. On Windows, use "Hardware | Super Game Module" menu. On Android, use "Settings | Emulation | Super Game Module" setting.

Not yet. The firmware generally works, but I am struggling getting AdamNet to work properly.

3) Joystick on Linux?

Current version does not support joystick directly, but something like joy2key should work.

If you have any questions about ColEm, please, do not hesitate to ask. I will try to answer them in this thread.

Marat Fayzullin

Great to see you working on this. Some feedback.

I can get most sgm games put out by Team Pixelboy to work except these:

Buck Rogers

Zaxxon

Dragon's Lair

Subroc

I'll keep checking and good luck with the Adam support.

Marat Fayzullin

No questions, just some comments, sir.

When I first really became engrossed in emulation in the mid 90's, ColemDOS was one of the first emulators I tried, and was simply blown away. The quality and accuracy, even way back then, was super impressive. I want to thank you for well over 20 years of support of the ColecoVision platform in digitally preserving it.

Equally impressive, if not more so (for those that do not know), this same developer is really the foundation of NES emulation. The NES ROM format is his creation - his baby. In conjunction with his iNES emulator, that file format and mapper system was started then. Back in '96 there was only one other NES emulator, a Japanese one called, Pasofami, and was pretty difficult to use; iNES changed that - forever. It is still so very cool and mind blowing all that has been accomplish since then, but hard to express how it pales in comparison to the time when all this was just new and ground-breaking developments.

Marat, to me, you are to console emulation in the same vein that individuals like Dave Spicer and Nicola Salmoria are to Arcade emulation. You're a legend to the community, and your work and efforts are truly appreciated. This includes the work you have done, are doing, and continue to do. Thanks again and hats off to you.

• Like 1

No questions, just some comments, sir.

When I first really became engrossed in emulation in the mid 90's, ColemDOS was one of the first emulators I tried, and was simply blown away. The quality and accuracy, even way back then, was super impressive. I want to thank you for well over 20 years of support of the ColecoVision platform in digitally preserving it.

Equally impressive, if not more so (for those that do not know), this same developer is really the foundation of NES emulation. The NES ROM format is his creation - his baby. In conjunction with his iNES emulator, that file format and mapper system was started then. Back in '96 there was only one other NES emulator, a Japanese one called, Pasofami, and was pretty difficult to use; iNES changed that - forever. It is still so very cool and mind blowing all that has been accomplish since then, but hard to express how it pales in comparison to the time when all this was just new and ground-breaking developments.

Marat, to me, you are to console emulation in the same vein that individuals like Dave Spicer and Nicola Salmoria are to Arcade emulation. You're a legend to the community, and your work and efforts are truly appreciated. This includes the work you have done, are doing, and continue to do. Thanks again and hats off to you.

Hear, hear! Marat is definitely a legend in his field. Thank you for everything you've done for this hobby, Marat!!

Answering questions:

1) How to enable SGM?

3) Joystick on Linux?

Marat Fayzullin

Most megacart games seem to work, such as Pacman Collection, Mario Bros, Meca 8, Princess Quest, etc.

Boxle does not work. It boots up but there is some issue with eprom apparently and it stalls..

http://cvaddict.com/roms/boxxle-2015.rom

Most megacart games seem to work, such as Pacman Collection, Mario Bros, Meca 8, Princess Quest, etc.

Boxle does not work. It boots up but there is some issue with eprom apparently and it stalls..

http://cvaddict.com/roms/boxxle-2015.rom

Well, since EEPROM clearly isn't part of the standard ColecoVision hardware, or cartridges, it is no wonder. I will try adding it. If you want to help, finding how that EEPROM is connected would be a great step forward. Got any documentation on it?

Well, since EEPROM clearly isn't part of the standard ColecoVision hardware, or cartridges, it is no wonder. I will try adding it. If you want to help, finding how that EEPROM is connected would be a great step forward. Got any documentation on it?

All I know is that when you try to start the game there is a brief flash the says eeprom failure. I know nothing about programing. Just trying to give feedback.

All right, let me rephrase the question: Who made this game and does that guy have an email address?

Try to contact Team Pixelboy.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/273502-team-pixelboy-news-bulletin-december-25th-2017/

http://www.teampixelboy.com/

Good to see I am not alone with the problem.

https://twitter.com/AnnaWu_/status/974512701165658113

Edited by AnnaWu

Some more feedback concerning Sewer Sam and Squish 'Em Sam. As in AdamEm, ColEm has sound effects but no voice sounds. Mess and CoolCV both have the sound effects and voice. I didn't try any other audio settings.

Edited by ChuckH

Some more feedback concerning Sewer Sam and Squish 'Em Sam. As in AdamEm, ColEm has sound effects but no voice sounds. Mess and CoolCV both have the sound effects and voice. I didn't try any other audio settings.

ColEm does not emulate hacks that make SN76489 act as a makeshift waveform generator. I have this feature in plans, but at low priority.

Per this post from Pixelboy, it appears to utilize an Activision (32K) layout + 32K EEPROM.

There's a thread about the new ColecoVision PCB layouts, including a post with many technical details, from the cartridge PCB designer of Boxxle, Fred (batari) Quimby. It mentions earlier in the thread and then again later on, $6000-$6FFF as hotspots.

Per this post from Pixelboy, it appears to utilize an Activision (32K) layout + 32K EEPROM.

There's a thread about the new ColecoVision PCB layouts, including a post with many technical details, from the cartridge PCB designer of Boxxle, Fred (batari) Quimby. It mentions earlier in the thread and then again later on, $6000-$6FFF as hotspots.

Aha, looks good, thanks. My own research shows that the actual Boxxle and Black Onyx carts appear to use 0xFF80 / 0xFF90 / 0xFFA0 / 0xFFB0 hotspots for EEPROM access though. Will check for ones at 0x6xxx as well.