IGNORED

Sega Genesis Classics Announced (PS4/XB1/PC; May 29th)

Atariboy

A new compilation is on the way. :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-03-14-sega-mega-drive-collection-headed-to-pc-ps4-xbox-one

Developer is as of yet unknown (The developer of the earlier Steam version that this appears based off of was a company called D3T Limited). And there is also no mention of a Nintendo Switch version (Perhaps a hint of what's to come for a future Switch Virtual Console?).

Nor is there any confirmation on if it will see a physical release. But Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for the PS3/360 was restocked locally for years and only recently disappeared, so my impression is that it was a decent seller through the years. So hopefully Sega sees fit to put this on disc.

Here's the game list. I've denoted which were available in Sega Genesis Collection (PS2/PSP) and Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (360/PS3).

• Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (SGC; SUGC)
  • Alien Soldier
  • Alien Storm (SUGC)
  • Altered Beast (SGC; SUGC)
  • Beyond Oasis (SUGC)
  • Bio-Hazard Battle
  • Bonanza Bros. (SGC; SUGC)
  • Columns (SGC; SUGC)
  • Columns III: Revenge of Columns
  • Comix Zone (SGC; SUGC)
  • Crack Down
  • Decap Attack (SGC; SUGC)
  • Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine (SUGC)
  • Dynamite Headdy (SUGC)
  • ESWAT: City Under Siege (SUGC)
  • Fatal Labyrinth (SUGC)
  • Flicky (SGC; SUGC)
  • Gain Ground (SGC; SUGC)
  • Galaxy Force II
  • Golden Axe (SGC; SUGC)
  • Golden Axe II (SGC; SUGC)
  • Golden Axe III (SGC; SUGC)
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Kid Chameleon (SGC; SUGC)
  • Landstalker
  • Light Crusader
  • Phantasy Star II (SGC; SUGC)
  • Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom (SGC; SUGC)
  • Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium (SGC; SUGC)
  • Ristar (SGC; SUGC)
  • Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi (SGC)
  • Shining Force (SUGC)
  • Shining Force II (SUGC)
  • Shining in the Darkness (SUGC)
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master (SGC; SUGC)
  • Sonic 3D Blast (SUGC)
  • Sonic Spinball (SUGC)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog (SGC; SUGC)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (SGC; SUGC)
  • Space Harrier II
  • Streets of Rage (SUGC)
  • Streets of Rage 2 (SUGC)
  • Streets of Rage 3 (SUGC)
  • Super Thunder Blade (SGC; SUGC)
  • Sword of Vermilion (SGC)
  • The Revenge of Shinobi
  • ToeJam & Earl
  • ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
  • Vectorman (SGC; SUGC)
  • VectorMan 2 (SGC; SUGC)
  • Virtua Fighter 2 (SGC)
  • Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
  • Wonder Boy in Monster World

The absences from those earlier collections include the Ecco the Dolphin franchise and both Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles (Also missing is Monster World IV, which saw an English translation and a digital PS3/360 release as part of the Sega Vintage Collection line).

And still none of the racers like Super Hang-On and Outrun.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 4

This does include some new Genesis games compared to earlier compilations, at least.

Alien Soldier, Bio-Hazard Battle, Columns III, Galaxy Force II, Gunstar Heroes, Landstalker, Light Crusader, Space Harrier II, The Revenge of Shinobi, both Toe Jam & Earl games, and the two Wonder Boy games are new additions. Many saw digital releases on the Wii/360/PS3 though, so aren't exactly new.

I wish it had some racing games since it feels incomplete without this important Sega genre represented a bit. While not necessarily all great games (Especially Turbo Outrun and Outrunners), I'd of liked to have seen Sega do what it takes to clear their 1st party racing lineup and also emulate Virtua Racing. They've even shown a willingness to edit Genesis games in the past, which is why Revenge of Shinobi resurfaced digitally on last-gen consoles after being passed over for their earlier compilations.

The Capcom arcade games that Sega licensed, ported, and published on the Genesis would also have been nice to see included on a compilation (All saw Wii Virtual Console releases). Some of my favorite Sega published games on the Genesis were these. Mercs and Ghouls 'n Ghosts in fact were the only two Genesis games I bothered to download on the Wii Virtual Console, since I liked them so much.

Edited by Atariboy

I hope I'm not alone in feeling a bit shocked this isn't listed for Switch too. Seems like it would be the most natural fit given the lack of the virtual console services and the style of system it is so they have more chances to be loved. The games are so teeny they would fit into the super cheap 1GB cards for the system so I doubt the expense there would be the reason. I hope it's just an oversight, I'd buy it, as I don't get these dumb bundles usually because it's console stuck and in that case I'd rather use other hardware, but a handheld? Sign me up.

With Sega buying the Technosoft IP a while back, it also seems a shame that Thunder Force is absent. Thunder Force II-IV would've filled a major hole in this collection, since otherwise I don't think there's a single 2d scrolling shooter present. That genre was one of the 16 bit generation's biggest. Especially so on the Genesis.

I wonder if After Burner II is absent due to the F-14 likeness that the player controls? And while I doubt that they'll be missed, I wonder where Wrestle War and The Ooze are. They made it out on Sega Smash Pack and Sonic Mega Collection Plus.

When seemingly 95% of what Sega holds clear title to with no need for licensing or edits is included (I bet the Marlboro billboard lookalike with "Morobare" on it is what's keeping Super Hang-On in the vaults for example), it's too bad they just didn't go all the way.

Too bad about rights issues with Sonic 3 and Ecco. You can bet the mainstream reviewers will knock a letter grade off just because there's no Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Edited by Atariboy

Already got the collection for Xbox 360 & Steam, but would consider picking this up for the X1 if they have actual CRT overlays instead of just scanlines (or none at all). Especially if it can save me the cash from buying up the SVC titles for the "missing titles".

I'll still keep the 360 version if i ever need to rack up some quick 'cheevos...

I bet the Marlboro billboard lookalike with "Morobare" on it is what's keeping Super Hang-On in the vaults for example.

Already was modified back in the day, apparently.

Revision 00

SuperHangOn-Morobare-REV00.png

Revision 01

SuperHangOn-Soroban%21%21-REV01.png

I wonder what's keeping Super Hang-On away, if it's even a question of rights, licenses, etc.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

If I had my way, this collection would be all arcade games and it would be developed by M2.

I'd love to see the 12 arcade games that they ported and enhanced for the 3DS be collected and brought to home consoles with the roster rounded out with another 8 or so games. I'm sure M2 has enough half finished games like Virtua Racing and a few on their wish list that they'd of have loved to port but just couldn't within the constraints of the 3DS like Outrunners, to make for an even 20 games without breaking the budget (Especially now that they wouldn't have to worry about 3D support).

But I'm liking what I've been seeing over the past year or so. After years of hibernating with very few exceptions, it seems like the classic compilation is finally once again a viable concept to some of these big publishers.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I imagine that applies to most of us.

The appeal for something like this to the more dedicated classic gaming fan usually is just in seeing some favorites receiving fresh attention, seeing how well the package was put together, checking out the extras like fooling around with the online multiplayer feature, etc. It's not really because we need a 30th way to play the Genesis version of Sonic the Hedgehog.

That's another thing arcade compilations have in their favor. Unless one has MAME all setup and ready to go, it can often be the first time someone has been able to play a particular classic game at home.

Edited by Atariboy

The appeal for something like this to the more dedicated classic gaming fan usually is just in seeing some favorites receiving fresh attention, seeing how well the package was put together, checking out the extras like fooling around with the online multiplayer feature, etc. It's not really because we need a 30th way to play the Genesis version of Sonic the Hedgehog.

That's another thing arcade compilations have in their favor. Unless one has MAME all setup and ready to go, it can often be the first time someone has been able to play a particular classic game at home.

You're speaking to the choir man. I can't think of very many major console and arcade compilations on consoles and handhelds since the PSX that I have not gone out of my way to get, despite obviously already having many of the games prior. Just saying the desire isn't as strong as it always was, at least for me personally :)

Edited by NE146

Up for preorder on Amazon at $29.99.

I may still buy it to show my support. I have not been a fan of how compilations have been handled this gen and last gen (Rare Replay, Ultimate Genesis Collection and Namco Museum Virtual Arcade aside). Despite many of the rehashes in this upcoming Sega collection, the lineup is at least massive, and this is how it should be as time goes on, not the other way around. Here's to hoping more companies follow suit.

Too bad about rights issues with Sonic 3 and Ecco. You can bet the mainstream reviewers will knock a letter grade off just because there's no Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

I'd much rather have and play ToeJam and Earl than Ecco. Honestly neither is that much fun compared to games of today, but you're right, some people will have some early dolphin experience stuck in their heads and hold it against the publishers that Ecco and Ecco Jr. are missing.

If I had my way, this collection would be all arcade games and it would be developed by M2.

I second this emotion.

Used to be I'd buy every collection like this by default, and I probably still will eventually, but ever since I plugged in the Genesis on the office desk with a X7 Everdrive, I dunno.. I kind of don't really feel the pressing need. :lol:

Same here ... I'm pretty well covered. I'll spring for an improved AtGames handheld but I think I've already got my Genesis console needs covered elsewhere. Of course when it comes up for $5 in a digital flash sale, I'll buy it, possibly on both consoles. The living room screens look just like the Steam/PC version, which I already have.

I may still buy it to show my support. I have not been a fan of how compilations have been handled this gen and last gen (Rare Replay, Ultimate Genesis Collection and Namco Museum Virtual Arcade aside). Despite many of the rehashes in this upcoming Sega collection, the lineup is at least massive, and this is how it should be as time goes on, not the other way around. Here's to hoping more companies follow suit.

Agreed. I think it's important to show support for products you care about. I'm old and lame, but a large proportion of the "modern" console releases I get are throwbacks like this. I'm mostly playing new games on mobile and PC.

I'm like that. Despite the fact I'm picking up kits for my systems I still have these moments where I'd dish out some support. Typically though it would be for something that's rapid fire easy pick up and play elsewhere like the Nintendo mini consoles, but more so for what you get in those handheld device clones/emulator copyboxes. I have the everdrive n8 and super ed+dsp yet they still get use and are desirable. The ATGames Genesis handheld still sucks but maybe this years revision will go with last years HD console. I'd buy that. Nearly perfect playback, none of the decade long crippling problems, and SD card support so I could use it wherever without being anchored. Years ago they did a SMS/GG 30 game handheld that can tv tether, it's my go to fix for the SMS/GG at this point.

This is why I complained they're fools for not listing a Switch release. Hardware is more than capable by any margin of doubt, and being portable, I'd relish having all those goodies on the go. But if Sega wishes to be typical fools, hopefully the ATgames handheld this year is upgraded like Bill was hoping and I'll do that instead.

Right now I'm debating the merits mentally for months now of the $100 ED for the PC Engine or the $300-400+ value of the NeoSD/SD Pro. Why? That added money I could score a GT and use that for portability(though I'd get a modern LCD installed to it, recapped, probably the lith-ion battery mod too) which would equal out the values.

Maybe someday they will make the 360 genesis compilation backward compatible. It's a much better version than this one is, and which

is why i won't be getting it, unless it goes for a greatly reduced price at some point.

I don't really care for the extra games they've added, i'd rather have the arcade ports from the last one.

later

What makes you say Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection is a much better version? We don't know yet how this one even performs, and I'd say it's close to being even for many people where the game list is concerned.

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection has 40 Genesis games. 36 of those are being carried forward, paired with 14 new games and a return of three games from the earlier Sega Genesis Collection. You're losing 4 big name Genesis games, with Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles leading the pack (Which annoyingly couldn't be played together). But you're gaining big names, too. Shadow Dancer, Revenge of Shinobi, Gunstar Heroes, the Toe Jam & Earl games, etc.

Lineup-wise, being an arcade fan gives it a narrow lead for me with its 7 arcade games and two Master System games, but only slightly. I for one didn't really care about arcade Altered Beast or Shinobi, so scratch two immediately. And Space Harrier's audio emulation was the worst I've heard for a commercial compilation since Sega's own Sega Smash Pack on the Dreamcast, which killed a 3rd game. I basically only like Alien Syndrome, Congo Bongo, Fantasy Zone, Zaxxon, and Golden Axe Warrior.

I don't think you'll ever see it BC. Sega likely delisted it for a reason a while back, which perhaps is the same reason why this latest one lost 4 of the big games from it. Even if rights isn't a roadblock, Sega's got a product they can't sell and one that they can, which likely seals the deal.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Kind of in a way related, check out that fanatical bundle group for PC games on Steam. They have a package for just south of $11 for like $70 worth of Sega Genesis/MD games for sale as a big bundle right now on Steam, every title up there probably as there's dozens in the package.

Also less related but interesting, Sonic Mania is getting a physical release on all 3 systems in summer for $30.

Looking at what Sega published, I believe these are the games that got passed over without obvious roadblocks of significance like a movie license, sports related licensing, 3rd party properties licensed to Sega, etc.

• After Burner II (Grumman F-14 Tomcat license needed these days?)
  • Arrow Flash (Not Sega published in North America, but seems to be Sega owned)
  • Art Alive (Art creation program)
  • Elemental Master (Sega owned)
  • Eternal Champions (Saw a Wii Virtual Console release)
  • G-LOC Air Battle
  • Herzog Zwei (Sega published and now fully Sega owned)
  • Jewel Master
  • Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar (Thunder Force IV; Sega owned)
  • Monster World IV (English translation digitally released last-gen)
  • OutRun (Minor Ferrari editing needed)
  • OutRunners (Data East published in North America)
  • Ranger X
  • Super Hang-On
  • Super Monaco GP ("Formula 1" needs to be excised in a few spots)
  • The Ooze (Released in earlier Sega compilations)
  • Thunder Force II (Sega owned)
  • Thunder Force III (Sega owned)
  • Turbo Outrun (Not originally released in North America)
  • Virtua Racing (SVP chip)
  • Wacky Worlds Creativity Studio (Art creation program)
  • Wrestle War (Not released in North America until Sega Smash Pack)
  • X-Perts
The Ecco the Dolphin franchise seems to have rights issues with Novotrade today. And Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, and Blue Sphere seem to have music issues these days.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1