IGNORED

Markus of Marinus

Opry99er

Thanks for posting it!  

Disclaimer: I cannot guarantee this game will work.  In testing, when the game was loaded from disk, it had a 70% failure rate when you pass level 11 or 12.  

Seems there is a runaway condition that occurs sometimes which chews up VDP RAM and crashes the game.  I've tried to figure it out, but have been unsuccessful.

Edited by Opry99er

Thanks Vorticon!  I put quite a bit of work into that packaging.  :D  

The crash condition typically happens somewhere between levels 10 and 13.  And it doesn't happen every time.  I have attempted to debug it using Classic99, and I have watched the HeatMap during a crash.  It lights up like a Christmas tree.  :) 

8 hours ago, Opry99er said:

Thanks Vorticon!  I put quite a bit of work into that packaging.  :D  

The crash condition typically happens somewhere between levels 10 and 13.  And it doesn't happen every time.  I have attempted to debug it using Classic99, and I have watched the HeatMap during a crash.  It lights up like a Christmas tree.  :) 

That sounds like a stack problem, probably a subroutine not exiting properly with a RETURN statement.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought initially, too!  And it may well be the case. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen every time, and I'm not sure what conditions within my game cause the overrun...  

If I get the inclination, I'll sit down and start making up route charts.... find exactly where the train goes off the tracks.  But so far, I think I've been the only one who has experienced this thing.  And I experienced it multiple times during testing and duplicating.  Thing is, it never happened when the game was loaded from tape... so I really don't know.  :) 

On 12/9/2019 at 7:00 PM, Opry99er said:

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought initially, too!  And it may well be the case. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen every time, and I'm not sure what conditions within my game cause the overrun...  

If I get the inclination, I'll sit down and start making up route charts.... find exactly where the train goes off the tracks.  But so far, I think I've been the only one who has experienced this thing.  And I experienced it multiple times during testing and duplicating.  Thing is, it never happened when the game was loaded from tape... so I really don't know.  :) 

In 1981 I programmed a Pac Man clone in TI Basic (TI PUCK - on the tigameshelf.net site) and I had a similar issue. Never figured it out at the time. In 2007 I took another look at my handwritten code and finally realized that one of the subroutines was not returning properly under specific conditions. Wait a couple of decades then take another stab at Marcus. All will be clear! ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

I downloaded and ran the Markus game - It's a hoot! (Yes, and one does tend to:  "Die in this Tower.") It was a pleasure to recall how some of the more cleverly conceived TI Basic games had merit and considerable entertainment value. M of M certainly belongs on that list. Unfortunately, additions there are scarce.

The only actual annoyance I had with the game is when the wife got to level 7 on her first attempt... what's with that?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...