IGNORED

Sega ultimate portable

Tonkinese

They all mostly work, it's quite compatible. Whether or not the sound bugs bother you is a larger concern.

There's a compatibility list here http://undeadbobop.blogspot.com/2016/11/sega-genesis-ultimate-portable-game.htmlwhich I found after 2 seconds of web searching. I don't think it's the last word ...I know for a fact that SportsTalk Baseball doesn't run, for example, and I'm pretty certain I've played Road Rash on my portable. There's no risk to trying everything yourself, you're not going to break it by attempting to run an incompatible game.

You can also do a web search for Sega Genesis ROMs.

Note that you can't save your game progress on anything from the SD card in the AtGames handhelds released to date (through 2017).

If you want a generalize list without reading think about it like this.

If you consider the lack of a battery backed save as game breaking, any title that uses a battery doesn't work. Also from personal experience, Contra stage 1 is broken as it won't scroll so you can't see walls or holes to fall into. The one chipped game Virtua Racing won't run either. If you exclude the chipped game and the battery based titles it has a high compatibility ignoring the potentially ear drum scorching audio problems.

Which version is the most desired I have the capcom one is it worth getting the newest one

They're all pretty much the same until the new platform comes out, presumably this fall (2018). The latest one has some role-playing games that you can save onto the device. The Capcom one is nice if you like Mega Man and Street Fighter.

No, it doesn't play SMS games.

I'm talking out of my hat here, but I think it's a situation similar to the GBA/GBC/GB compatibility situation -- you can play an SMS cartridge on a Genesis with the right adapter, but that's because it's using different parts of the hardware. An SMS ROM couldn't just be modified to run in that Genesis emulator to my knowledge.

I'd love to be wrong about that if someone has other facts to share.

thanks everyone for the reply ! another question though Does it play Master system games?

No, but ATGames did rebrand a blaze device and it does: https://segaretro.org/Arcade_Gamer_Portable

There are 30 SMS/GG games on there, closed device, runs on 3 AAA batteries which last quite a long time too. I own it, otherwise I would probably have not known as they never bothered to advertise it for some dumb reason. Perhaps shame over the fact unlike the Genesis handheld it looks, sounds, and plays right.

And flojo is right, you can play a SMS game on Genesis, Sega made the Power Base Adapter years ago and it allowed just for that to happen. It supposedly will work on a Retron 5 but never tried it and don't remember if it needs help with it either but it works. On an emulator though SMS and Genesis are not compatible, you need to make something, much like Super Gameboy on SNES ran GB games but GB games don't just magically work on SNES without it.

• 1 year later...

Here is Neto Boot Loader all set up for the AtGames Sega Genesis Ultimate Portable Game Player if you want to test it out. The "TOOLS" folder just has software for adding artwork to any added roms if wanted. Also, it has software for patching games to create hacks. It also has Genesis screenshot thumbnail art. This folder DOES NOT have to go on your SD card.

BOTH  the "GAME" and "TECTOY" folders and their contents MUST be placed on the root of a compatible 2-4GB SD Card. 

Sound and compatibility is much improved. Limited save functions. Game genie code support. Also it has folder support for games. 16 folders on each page. 99 folders, max. 99 games, max in each folder. Only downside to Neto is adding artwork is a bit more difficult and when you back out of game it takes you all the way out to the main firecore menu and you have to load Neto again. You can still run games with art thru the SD Card game list/game folder just like before, You retain everything. Neto Loader is an entry/slot in that game list and you load it from there. it has debug mode, Pal and NTSC support, etc. a lot of features, but it has kind of bare bones menu/UI.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bPmva3s9h6YFbFoBQSFuB8M7q9qWwk6v

yes, and I think the SD Card limit is 4GB.

All the folder structure has to be set up to implement the artwork and corresponding XXX.bin database files. If you add more roms to say folder "ROMS D-E", you wont be able to just add artwork, you'll have to delete the ROMS D-E.bin database file and start over. Which is why all the artwork and assembly editor programs were included if someone wanted to do that. 

Edited by Draxxon