IGNORED

DREM FDD/HDD Emulator

9640News

Has anyone tested or looked over the information on the DREM FDD/HDD? Link at https://www.drem.info/

Sounds like it has a reasonable chance of working with a TI/Geneve, but not certain.

The manuals and specs can be found on the home page.

Myself, I am more interested in its use as a hard drive replacement for use with a Myarc HFDC.

Beery

Edited by BeeryMiller
  • Like 1

Just have a look at the user manual. The DSK format is defined as a sector dump, but the sector sequence is different:

All sectors of track 0, head 0

All sectors of track 0, head 1

All sectors of track 1, head 0

All sectors of track 1, head 1

All sectors of track 39, head 0

All sectors of track 39, head 1

This does not match the sector sequence on the TI file system:

All sectors of track 0, head 0

All sectors of track 1, head 0

All sectors of track 39, head 0

All sectors of track 39, head 1

All sectors of track 38, head 1

All sectors of track 37, head 1

All sectors of track 2, head 1

All sectors of track 1, head 1

All sectors of track 0, head 1

[Edit: Rearranging the sectors is not really a difficult programming job; I'd estimate less than an hour with Java (including coffee breaks).]

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 1

The device has options for either a floppy drive interface, or a hard drive interface. At about $260, it would make sense it would likely be used for hard drives, rather than the cheaper options we have for floppy drives.

One could very easily have a self contained PEBox with hard drive capability.

I'm up for purchasing one if someone thinks we can convert a MAME HD image into a useable format for the device.

Beery

I'm up for purchasing one if someone thinks we can convert a MAME HD image into a useable format for the device.

You can use TIImageTool's feature "Extract RAW from CHD" to get a sector dump. The sector sequence is (unlike with floppy disks) produced this way:

int linsect=0;
for (int cyl=0; cyl<maxcyl; cyl++) {
   for (int head=0; head<maxhead; head++) {
      for (int sect=0; sect<maxsectintrack; sect++) {
         sector[linsec++] = getSector(cyl,head,sect);
      }
   }
}
  • Like 1

[Edit: Rearranging the sectors is not really a difficult programming job; I'd estimate less than an hour with Java (including coffee breaks).]

Sucky thing is that would create a .DSK file incompatible with our standard TI stuff, so one more thing to have to keep track of.

It may turn out to be a mute issue with this device. The website directs to Ebay where a purchase can be made that looks to be sold out. I could also find no other information from any users using the device. I've got an email out to the company, but so far, no response. If I get a response, I will post.

Beery

Try http://www.drem.info . The website redirects to a secure https connection and apparently in the website's configuration, you can not go directly the secure connection.

Beery

Actually, you can go directly to the secure connection. :) Your link did not work because it was malformed. It had a space at the end. Also, your http link opens this topic, not the DREM site.

...lee

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, the author of the DREM MFM hard drive emulator did respond to questions I had as he had been on vacation. He presently has no inventory, but was waiting on the next production batch.

Looks like cost will be somewhere, unless it changes, to be in the $260 to $275 range. Besides myself, is there anyone else interested in one?

This device can emulate a floppy or hard drive, but not both simultaneously. If someone is going to spend this kind of money, it would be to have as a drive/replacement for a hard drive connected to the Myarc HFDC as there are cheaper options for floppy emulation.

Author indicates our chipset on the HFDC is compatible, so there should be no issue. I realize I will likely be the guinnea pig to test this out.

Anyways, curious if others would consider this to replace their hard drive.

Beery

• 1 month later...

I've been continuing to follow the progress of this device that replaced a MFM hard drive. There will be a new revision of the board, and from looking at the photos, it looks like it will have both floppy connectors and hard drive connectors all on the board. Whether they both can be used simultaneously, I am not sure. His last production run, the company screwed up and put the chips in the wrong place. This newer run will be out somewhere in a month or so.

I do have a question for those familiar with the intricacies of hard drive formats, etc. The website for Revision 1 list the following details on supported formats listed below. The Myarc HFDC format for hard drives is covered, right? I just want to make sure nobody sees something obviously an issue or lacking before I become the guinnea pig.

Thanks.

Low level formats supported:

• DEC Pro-350 RD, Elektronika MC-0585 (aka Elektronika 85) RD, DVK DW

• DEC RQDX3

• Adaptec ACB-4000 (E-Mu Emulator II+HD)

• Seagate ST11 / ST11R

• Western Digital WD1010 based controllers (any sector size, CRC16)

• Western Digital WD2010 based controllers (any sector size, CRC16 and ECC32)

• Western Digital WD5010 based controllers (any sector size, CRC16 and ECC32)

• Western Digital WD5011 based controllers (any sector size, CRC16 and ECC32, ECC56 RLL)

• Western Digital WD50C12 based controllers (any sector size, CRC16 and ECC32, ECC56 RLL)

• Intel P8206 based controllers (WD2010 compatible)

• DTC WD1010 compatible controllers

• DTC WD2010 compatible controllers (i.e. DTC-7180)

• IBM 1501492 (XEBEC)

• Like 1

Difficult to say, if you ask explicitly. The HFDC has the HDC9234 controller, and it supports custom formats (like the TI) as well as PC-AT formats. They should rather specify that the emulator is able to emulate a special drive (like the Seagate ST drives), not the controllers it accepts.

• Like 1

I got this feedback regarding the DREM-2.

> Will the unit support both floppies and hard drives simultaneously

> with DREM-2? With DREM-1, it was either floppies or hard drives, but

> not both from the specifications I read. I did not know if you were

> making the unit more compact with a single board, or if there would be

> more features in the redesign.

Correct. Initial release of the software will be the same feature-wise.

Butt with future software update DREM-2 will do FDD & HDD simultaneously.

Board itself now fit standard 3in drive bay and most FDD chaises.

DREM has 1Mb of RAM and 9K FPGA, DREM-2 has 128Mb jf RAM and 25k FPGA

which will give us a room for improvements.

DREM-2 has RTC (on DREM КЕС is not available for FPGA) now all files on SD card have proper data & time stamps.

There is 90 degree 2 color SMD LED's on DREM-2 front edge, displaying HDD/FDD/SD status access/write

> On another question, I currently have a Lotharek floppy emulator (see

> http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/index.html#FILESSUPPORTED

> ) for one of my computers. I use the HFE image format with my

> existing controller. Will your floppy emulation be compatible with

> that format? If so, that would be great.

DREM is using plain DSK images. You may convert your hfe's to dsk in batch mode.

• Like 1

Correct. Initial release of the software will be the same feature-wise.

Butt with future software update DREM-2 will do FDD & HDD simultaneously.

Board itself now fit standard 3in drive bay and most FDD chaises.

Did they give any indication as to the expected time of availability.

• 1 month later...

I've got an update from Oleksandr regarding the DREM device:

Manufacturers delivery date is August 22nd. We will start shipping on September 1st.

On weekend we will be updating the web site with new brochure, user guide, pictures etc.