IGNORED

DREM FDD/HDD Emulator

9640News

Tim,

Yes, I will glady share my DREM hard drive image and config files to get anyone setup that gets one.

Beery

Sounds great. From the web site looks like it is relatively simple but as I found with my SCSI stuff, sometimes the small boards leave you wanting for enclosures and protection. Curious to see what you did with yours.

Users should plan to secure the DREM in a 3.5" to 5.25" plastic drive bay kit. Needs to be plastic and you will need to use plastic/nylon screws with a screw going through the mounting hole, two nuts, drem, final nut on each of the 4 corners. Do not plan on using anything metal for the mounting. Afterwards, you can use the side of the case to secure in a 5.25" bay. I think these screws are like 1.5 mm nylon screws I used. They were the same ones I used to secure the PI to the PEBox TIPI inside the PEBox.

The plastic 3.5" PC Drive bay form factor listed in the DREM manual on Page 6 is the same one I used. The face of the DREM is a bit more open than I would have liked, but there is nothing else I am aware to cover the open space up.

You need a 34 pin cable and two 20 pin cables. if you want to connect to floppy images as well, add another 34 pin cable. You just need to match the male and female connectors correctly.

Beery

• 10 months later...

I am cross posting this message as much of its contents is specific to the DREM, however the 3D printing was generic for anyone needing something 3D printed.

Someone has created a 5.25" bracket for mounting a DREM. The link to the 3D file is at:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3555045

Is it possible for someone to print a couple up for me? Cost?

Thanks.

Beery

Just a FYI for those needing the DREM bracket or any other 3D object printed.  I saw a post someplace Greg had referenced some time ago that one could submit your STL files to MakeXYZ.com .  I submitted the set of STL files for the DREM and had two faceplates made with shipping for under $20.  I could have also had the body to support the DREM 3D printed as well, however, I found it looked almost identical to the black plastic bodies for holding 3.5" drives.  So I did not print the drive body, just turned it 180 degrees and used the other end.  I had to trim the corners to square things up, but I was able to superglue the faceplate to the body (Note:  One had to do that with the original design as well).

I also did not have the buttons printed either.  It was a very good print job.

The original designer of the bracket did not place a hole for the mini-USB port as I guess he never imagined the firmware needing to be updated, however the designer of the DREM hardware has updated the firmware at least twice.  So, I took a drill and made a couple of holes, and then trimmed things out so I could reprogram the DREM should the need ever arise again.

I'm pleased.

Beery

• Like 1