IGNORED

Are the dual shocks the greatest gamepads ever?

Swami

That was actually the OG controller launched in Japan.

We got this turd below instead because I guess Sega figured all westerners had Wreck It Ralph like meat paws.

91ccJN4MwGL._SX522_.jpg

Eh.. Yeah, it looks dumb compared to the Japanese original (or our Model 2), but the d-pad and face buttons are on point. It's a solid controller in that regard.

Don't ruin the magic, Tanooki. Let him believe they're just four buttons sitting there.

Unless you have a really fat thumb, you are effectively dealing with four buttons even though the plastic is one connected piece underneath the shell. For example, there's no comparison in response time when playing a game of Pac-Man using an XBOX controller as compared to a Sony PSP's D-Pad.

Unless you have a really fat thumb, you are effectively dealing with four buttons even though the plastic is one connected piece underneath the shell. For example, there's no comparison in response time when playing a game of Pac-Man using an XBOX controller as compared to a Sony PSP's D-Pad.

I have small hands, never had a problem rocking the dpad on a PS controller back and forth. I'll give you that it doesn't feel particularly good (it's very sharp), but it's not a wide dpad at all.

I have small hands, never had a problem rocking the dpad on a PS controller back and forth. I'll give you that it doesn't feel particularly good (it's very sharp), but it's not a wide dpad at all.

Well, okay. I'm going to try the PS controller again.

Maybe it's just the PSP controller that I have trouble with...

• Like 1

I wouldn't describe it as "very sharp." That description should be reserved for the Dreamcast d-pad. That one will slice you open. Even the VMU has a better d-pad than the Dreamcast.

• Like 1

I wouldn't describe it as "very sharp." That description should be reserved for the Dreamcast d-pad. That one will slice you open. Even the VMU has a better d-pad than the Dreamcast.

I know I'm the severe minority in all gaming, but for me... for me... the DC's dpad is lovely for fighting games. I genuinely never have posted this in a thread before out of fear of ridicule, but I feel it's very comfy, pulls off street fighter move sets with ease, and is only outshined by the Saturn model 2's dpad. Maybe not great for every type of game, but to be fair, I only use the dpad for fighters on the DC, so... it works very well for me.

Ok... tar and feather me, everyone.

• Like 1

Eh.. Yeah, it looks dumb compared to the Japanese original (or our Model 2), but the d-pad and face buttons are on point. It's a solid controller in that regard.

What? That D-Pad is terrible compared to the ones found on the "batwing" and 3D Pad. It's like running your thumb around the sharp edge of a bowl. The shoulder buttons are also really flimsy on that controller.

I detest the Playstation controllers very much.. I see them a sentence for the crime of trying to use a controller.

My preferred controller is the Sega Saturn Analog controller..

Of course this is just my opinion and I totally respect if you feel completely different.

Don't worry, I agree with you, the sticks are far too loose and have no pushback, so you can easily overshoot how far you want to move them. And I prefer concave tops to convex.

Best three controllers for me have been GameCube, Xbox360 and maybe Dreamcast.

Don't worry, I agree with you, the sticks are far too loose and have no pushback, so you can easily overshoot how far you want to move them. And I prefer concave tops to convex.

Best three controllers for me have been GameCube, Xbox360 and maybe Dreamcast.

I tend to agree that the DualShock's analog sticks are too loose for some general usage, but they really do shine on many games.

I too loved the GameCube controller. Great feel, comfort, etc., although the non-standard configuration made its usage in ported games somewhat tricky.

The Wii U pro controller is for me, the most perfect controller devised. Perfect D pad, none of this offset stick nonsense, ultra comfy and the battery in it lasts FOREVER. Shame no one's ever used one.

41dwqbWAydL._SX466_.jpg

Yes, that is a great controller and the battery is fantastic. I have something like 190 hours into Breath of the Wild and it seems like I only had to charge the controller a hand full of times. I would say that 99% of my Wii U gaming has been with this controller. If I ever get around to buying a Switch, the Pro controller will be a day 1 purchase requirement for me.

Yes, that is a great controller and the battery is fantastic. I have something like 190 hours into Breath of the Wild and it seems like I only had to charge the controller a hand full of times. I would say that 99% of my Wii U gaming has been with this controller. If I ever get around to buying a Switch, the Pro controller will be a day 1 purchase requirement for me.

Interesting. I thought the Wii U Pro Controller was pretty good, but had its issues. For whatever reason, I REALLY don't like the Switch version.

Interesting. I thought the Wii U Pro Controller was pretty good, but had its issues. For whatever reason, I REALLY don't like the Switch version.

I have't held or used a Switch Pro controller yet, but you would be the first person I have heard say anything negative about it. In fact, I would say that the vast majority of people I've talked to have considered the Switch Pro controller to be one of the best controllers of all time.

I have't held or used a Switch Pro controller yet, but you would be the first person I have heard say anything negative about it. In fact, I would say that the vast majority of people I've talked to have considered the Switch Pro controller to be one of the best controllers of all time.

I'm aware I'm in the minority with not really liking it. It just doesn't feel great to me in a few key areas. It is what it is. I have it, so I'll continue to use it when necessary.

I'm aware I'm in the minority with not really liking it. It just doesn't feel great to me in a few key areas. It is what it is. I have it, so I'll continue to use it when necessary.

It's interesting to hear differing opinions on the subject of controllers. The Switch Pro Controller really impressed me personally. What is it that feels off to you?

It's interesting to hear differing opinions on the subject of controllers. The Switch Pro Controller really impressed me personally. What is it that feels off to you?

It's slippery and I find the analog sticks, d-pad, and action buttons a bit "sluggish" for my tastes. Part of that is probably because I'm far more used to the other controllers, which change relatively little between generations.

I hated, still hate that MS decided to take what Nintendo did and reversed the lettering as it plays havoc with me using their PC version of the 360 controller.

MS didn't invent that. They continued it directly from Sega.

I agree with you aboit the arrangement of the PS shapes. I also wish they hadn't swapped X and O as enter and cancel buttons in Western markets.

• Like 1

I like most the current crop of pads, admittedly the dualstick has seen little change in its four iterations. The newest has a weird touch pad thing, and I dislike the flush mounting on the start/option buttons, but other than that I love it.

Xbox finally got a d pad instead of that horrid lumpy round thing, the one is a great controller now, that pad was my only real complaint of the 360 controller.

I like most the current crop of pads, admittedly the dualstick has seen little change in its four iterations. The newest has a weird touch pad thing, and I dislike the flush mounting on the start/option buttons, but other than that I love it.

Xbox finally got a d pad instead of that horrid lumpy round thing, the one is a great controller now, that pad was my only real complaint of the 360 controller.

I have not tried the PS4 controller but I can see that touch pad thing being handy if using it with a media pc or similar

I have not tried the PS4 controller but I can see that touch pad thing being handy if using it with a media pc or similar

I'm not a big fan of it myself. It's like a small laptop touchpad, which I'm not the biggest fan of when they're oversized and premium. I don't mind it on the controller when it's used as a button, but using it for touch I've yet to see a good use for, although some people like it as a spinner/trackball substitute in Atari Flashback Classics. It's a lot like the Vita's rear touchpad, which saw little real use.

Yeah, the tracpad. It's mostly just for menus and text. I'm sure there's some games that use it in other ways, but I don't currently possess one. It's got a place im sure, it's faster though less accurate than the sticks for inputting text, mostly because of its small size, though you can use the inertial controller more easily for the same thing, and I DO have a few games that use that for gameplay elements, though small (little bit planet uses it to have your character look around)