IGNORED

Jagaur 'Kitty Box' video output

LS650

Has anyone here used one of these? Do you recommend?

Apparently it connects to the back of a JAG and converts the output to 1080p on HDMI.

At 99 Euro plus shipping, I'm not sure I want to pay the money, but it would be interesting to know how well it works.

http://0711spiele.de/zubehoer/atari-jaguar-kitty-box-hdmi-adapter/

(There's a button halfway down the page to translate to English)

post-8320-0-98270300-1521303660.jpg

• Like 1

K3V is using it in his videos. You can get an idea of how it looks there.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/270287-every-atari-jaguar-game-ever-new-youtube-video-series/

Seems like a good option if you only play the Jaguar. If you do multiple systems though, you might want to consider looking into a high quality upscaler (or line doubler) and using the RGB out from your consoles. The OSSC is amazing and it's not even double the price of this Jag box.

If you do multiple systems though, you might want to consider looking into a high quality upscaler (or line doubler) and using the RGB out from your consoles. The OSSC is amazing and it's not even double the price of this Jag box.

For ref:

https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/

I want to look into this a bit later :cool:

Now, if only a troll would quote the above and say something repetitive and boring, I could be entertained along with quick-linking to this resource... :thumbsup:

A Jaguar is a Jaguar, do we not like the jaggy looking graphics? Honestly for me I like the old school graphics and style. If I wanted nicer graphics I'd just get another system which likely costs less and has more games for it anyways :) But that Kittybox does look pretty snazzy tho!

A Jaguar is a Jaguar, do we not like the jaggy looking graphics? Honestly for me I like the old school graphics and style. If I wanted nicer graphics I'd just get another system which likely costs less and has more games for it anyways :)

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. :)

For ref:

https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/

I want to look into this a bit later :cool:

Yes, thanks for linking. That's where I got mine. It's well worth the money.

Yes, thanks for linking. That's where I got mine. It's well worth the money.

I've added the link to a resources list on my profile. Been tossing around the idea of putting together Jaguar 'packs' for a couple years now as Christmas gifts. They'd consist of a base unit, Team Tap, 4 controllers (and now hopefully Pro Controllers with the new ones on the horizon), SainT's SD Cart (loaded with commercial releases plus my Doom hacks) and some type of upscaler since CRT is out. A lot of variables left to play with but going cheap isn't working so it's down to the Kitty Box-to keep it ALL Jaguar related or the OSSC for possible expansion later on. Not sure how necessary expansion would be but considering it.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. :)

No way, I like the Jaggy looking graphics!

I mean that if I wanted better graphics I'd buy another system (which would likely be cheaper anyways) and that system would likely also have a better library as well (Saturn or PS1)

I don't think we are discussing better graphics but just getting cleaner video output to the display.

Yes, to anyone confused, this is what we are referring to.

See the left image, something comparable if you hooked the Jag straight into a HD TV via composite. Then on the right, RGB via an upscaler (basically what the Kitty Box will be doing).

post-24675-0-00743900-1521612346_thumb.png

• Like 5

See the left image, something comparable if you hooked the Jag straight into a HD TV via composite. Then on the right, RGB via an upscaler (basically what the Kitty Box will be doing).

I use a composite AV cable, and it looks much sharper and better than that left side picture. If that's the best picture you get out of an AV, I would say that the problem is your display, not the Jag or the cable.

I use a composite AV cable, and it looks much sharper and better than that left side picture. If that's the best picture you get out of an AV, I would say that the problem is your display, not the Jag or the cable.

Those are direct feeds, not screen caps from a TV. It was meant to be a generalized comparison. The image on the left is worse than it should be (YouTube compression and an old video), but on the other hand the image on the right isn't as good as it could be. Point is, there is a huge difference and that's not taking into consideration that composite or RF straight into a HD TV will be stretched to 16x9 on many models, making the image look worse.

• Like 3

Well we can preface this with "I'm a chump", but I got a kitty box last October-ish and it works better than I expected. It may be I had low expectations, but I was happy with the end results. That being said if you have multiple systems I'd recommend getting an OSSC.

I live in an apartment and a CRT isn't really feasible for me. You still get the same lovely Jag graphics, but everything looks cleaner/clearer on my LED. If I had a way to I'd share screen caps I would, tv screenshots off my phone don't quite do it justice. I will say Zoop never looked so good.

Edited by ace2184
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Mine arrived with a screw dislodged from the front. The threads are stripped too :?

Also, the power plug is finicky and the Jag powers off if it's moved slightly (and sometimes just randomly.)

Waiting on the OSSC to arrive now :cool: