IGNORED

Jagaur 'Kitty Box' video output

LS650

• 3 months later...
On 9/25/2019 at 6:14 PM, Judas-Prime said:

If anyone is interested in a Kitty Box, one of my Gen2Jag customers on Twitter is selling his. I'm not sure of the price but I wanted to give everyone a heads up in case yall wanted to try to grab one.

Twitter User

Douglas Guelich @retroperfection

Cheers

I'd be interested in this if it's still for sale?

2 hours ago, Judas-Prime said:

You would have to reach out to the Twitter User to see if he still has it.

I've got my "2JAG" devices working with Retro Game Cables RAD2X HDMI devices so I'll be using that for my Jag connection moving forward.

Hi, what is a 2JAG device?

RAD2X sounds interesting.  If there's another way to get HDMI OR DVI output from my Jaguar then I'm very interested.  So please tell me more about your RAD2X and Jaguar connection.  I just looked up RAD2X and they seem to have cables available for most retro consoles but not the Jaguar. So how have you managed it?  

The Twitter user does not accept direct messaging unfortunately.

1 hour ago, GoldenGraham said:

Hi, what is a 2JAG device?

RAD2X sounds interesting.  If there's another way to get HDMI OR DVI output from my Jaguar then I'm very interested.  So please tell me more about your RAD2X and Jaguar connection.  I just looked up RAD2X and they seem to have cables available for most retro consoles but not the Jaguar. So how have you managed it?  

The Twitter user does not accept direct messaging unfortunately.

I make an adapter that allows you to use a wide variety of SNES Cables with the Jaguar from Composite , S-video, RGB, HD-Retrovisions, HDMI Pound cables, and Now the RAD2X.

Forum Link 

I'll be FINISHING 39 more SNES2JAG very soon.

Cheers

D9bhQl3UcAEdv9q.jpg

• Like 2

Hi, thanks, just read that thread you linked me to.  Sounds amazing and I'm very interested in one of your next 39 snes2jag adapters (with the new power regulator switch) to use with RAD2X.

Before I join your pre order list however, I wondered whether or not you know of a RAD2X cable that can be used with a Jag with a CatBox fitted? Or if you know of any other way to connect the CatBox RGB connector to a HDMI, DVI or VGA screen?  The reason I ask is that I have a CatBox but so far have been unable to find anything (other than a HDMI upscaler which is awful) that will connect it to my NEC Multisync 1700NXP screen.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

21 hours ago, GoldenGraham said:

Hi, thanks, just read that thread you linked me to.  Sounds amazing and I'm very interested in one of your next 39 snes2jag adapters (with the new power regulator switch) to use with RAD2X.

Before I join your pre order list however, I wondered whether or not you know of a RAD2X cable that can be used with a Jag with a CatBox fitted? Or if you know of any other way to connect the CatBox RGB connector to a HDMI, DVI or VGA screen?  The reason I ask is that I have a CatBox but so far have been unable to find anything (other than a HDMI upscaler which is awful) that will connect it to my NEC Multisync 1700NXP screen.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

I don't know, I know the catbox has an RGB output that "might" be able to be converted with a different adapter. I don't have a Catbox so I'm not sure. I do have a Scatbox with an RGB output that I don't use So I suppose I could look into it once I'm done with this round of Snes2Jags.....it will be a hot minute before i can get to it though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Judas-Prime said:

I do have a Scatbox with an RGB output that I don't use So I suppose I could look into it once I'm done with this round of Snes2Jags.....it will be a hot minute before i can get to it though.

This would be great :)

12 hours ago, Judas-Prime said:

I don't know, I know the catbox has an RGB output that "might" be able to be converted with a different adapter. I don't have a Catbox so I'm not sure. I do have a Scatbox with an RGB output that I don't use So I suppose I could look into it once I'm done with this round of Snes2Jags.....it will be a hot minute before i can get to it though.

Yes that would be great when you find time.  I seem to remember the Scatbox and CatBox are very similar in terms of pinouts... however I'm happy to 'test' a prototype of your SNES2ScatBox interface (once developed) on my CatBox if you like? 

To achieve HDMI output for Catbox/ScatBox owners like me who don't actually use their Catbox/ScatBox for anything these days...  it would be far simpler to just use...

Jag + SNES2Jag + RAD2X

instead of...

Jag + Catbox + SNES2ScatBox + RAD2X

I'm just amazed that the KittyBox and this RAD2X (with SNES2Jag) currently seem to be the ONLY options for getting a modern high quality display out of my Jag.  If anyone knows of an effective way of connecting Jag+Catbox directly to a NEC Multisync 1970NXP monitor... then please tell :)   Otherwise, as the KittyBox is not currently available, it seems that 'SNES2Jag + RAD2X' is the only option, right?

Thoughts?

I'm just amazed that the KittyBox and this RAD2X (with SNES2Jag) currently seem to be the ONLY options for getting a modern high quality display out of my Jag.

Hum, no. You can also use a SCART cable and an RGB-to-HDMI converter, such as the OSSC or the XRGB mini.

If anyone knows of an effective way of connecting Jag+Catbox directly to a NEC Multisync 1970NXP monitor... then please tell :)

Direct connection is not possible. The Jaguar outputs 15 kHz video, your monitor (like most modern ones) only accepts 31 kHz and above.

Edited by Zerosquare

10 minutes ago, Judas-Prime said:

Here are some more videos of RAYMAN VIA Snes2Jag to Rad2x HDMI out. Low pass Smoothing filter off(first vid) and then on (second vid)

Wow I didn't realise I'd like the smoothed version as much as I do.

Do you know approximately when you'll be able to start shipping your next batch of 39...?

Also can you confirm whether the Snes2jag interface or RAD2X interfaces require power at all?  You mentioned in one of your articles about power but I can't see any power leads or power connectors on the RAD2X website pages.

10 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

Hum, no. You can also use a SCART cable and an RGB-to-HDMI converter, such as the OSSC or the XRGB mini.

Direct connection is not possible. The Jaguar outputs 15 kHz video, your monitor (like most modern ones) only accepts 31 kHz and above.

Hi, I tried one of those converter boxes from eBay, it's terrible as it displays significantly off centre with about 10 percent of the top and left edges of the picture missing off the screen, and the display position cannot be moved.

The NEC Multisync 1970NXP is documented as 31kHz minimum frequency but like many flat screen monitors can actually cater for the lower 15kHz frequencies of the Atari ST, Falcon and Jaguar.  That's why I bought this NEC monitor.  It works fine with my ST and Falcon but I can't get a decent display on it from my Jaguar.  This SNES2Jag + RAD2X option seems like the best and most affordable option available.

See: http://www.atari-wiki.com/index.php/Flat_Panel_Displays

46 minutes ago, GoldenGraham said:

Wow I didn't realise I'd like the smoothed version as much as I do.

Do you know approximately when you'll be able to start shipping your next batch of 39...?

Also can you confirm whether the Snes2jag interface or RAD2X interfaces require power at all?  You mentioned in one of your articles about power but I can't see any power leads or power connectors on the RAD2X website pages.

Rad2x will require external power via Micro USB when using it with a Jaguar. The SNES version of the Rad2x device has a Micro USB plug installed but its covered up by a plastic tab (the SNES delivers enough power so this isn't needed when using the Rad2x with a Snes.) Thats why its covered up with a plastic tab, just cut that tab off and you can power it with an external source. 

Snes2Jag all have a power regulator so they will work with HD Retrovision cables. I will modify the device with a small switch so you can turn it off when using it with a Rad2x as the Jag does not provide enough power from the AV port to power the Rad2x and if the power regulator is still active it causes some signal noise in the image. (At least in my experience) just a heads up, Im not an Engineer...just a hobbiest.

The smoothing filter works great on some games...not so much with others. As usual YMMV.

No time frame as i need to figure out how and where Im going to install a small switch to the SNES2JAG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Don't bother with the kitty box. I have one and decided I wanted to 3d Print a better case for it being that it doesn't fit in the opening on the Jaguar. Come to find out, it's literally a $33 scart to hdmi converter that has been cut up and put back together with literally card stock, black electrical tape and white double sided adhesive to work directly on the Jaguar AV connectors instead of using a scart cable. See Pics:

20201101_181323.jpg

20201101_181323_Rev.jpg

YEP! That's a breadboard being used for the connector.

20201101_181410.jpg

20201101_181514.jpg

20201101_190732.jpg

That sweet design on the enclosure...

20201101_192651.jpg

Literally a hair comb.

20201101_192950.jpg

Edited by falconsfan79
Including More Photos
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Yikes... at 99 Euros too that's insult to injury.

I helped develop an inexpensive adapter that lets you use any SNES style cable (Composite, S-Video, Scart, HD Retrovision) to get signal out of the Jag. I had the idea a long time ago but didn't have the AutoCAD skill or connections to make it happen as I do today. I use it with my HD Retrovision cables and OSSC to scale it to my 4k monitor. Looks amazing and sync is properly attenuated as well as the 9v+ rail is brought down to the proper 5v required for cables so you won't fry anything.

image.thumb.png.05ac1f0ef827e24e5817528ab26cb00e.png

For those who are interest, here's a link: 

https://www.heldergametech.com/shop/jaguar/jag2snes/

It sold out in 3 days so Helder has already ordered a good amount more PCBs and should be back in stock around Nov 8th. 

• Like 2

On 3/18/2018 at 12:29 PM, Saturn said:

For ref:

https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/

I want to look into this a bit later :cool:

Now, if only a troll would quote the above and say something repetitive and boring, I could be entertained along with quick-linking to this resource... :thumbsup:

Do the math!