IGNORED

HDRetrovision Component Cables (Back in Stock)

I shared a status update, but I want everybody to have a chance to get these!

https://shop.hdretrovision.com/collections/component-cables

They are excellent component cables and while seemingly expensive, I can confirm they work great!

Be sure to do their 240p test on your TV before ordering, or you'll be disappointed...

http://www.hdretrovision.com/240p

• Like 3

I snagged two more as well plus a PS1 adapter. Once these arrive, I will have my SNES, Master System, Genesis, Saturn, PS1 and Jaguar all hooked up using their component cables. I'm looking into the mod needed to make the N64 work to see if it's a mod I could do myself or not. I'm getting close to having all of my non HDMI consoles running through component, which is my preferred method under my current setup. It sounds like Dreamcast will be their next system. I'm hoping that one will be done soon. I'm still hoping that they can recreate the chip needed to make new component cables for the GameCube. I know about the GC HDMI adapters, but I would prefer to run my GameCube through component on my CRT TV. I'm a little worried that due to the HDMI adapters for the GC, new component cables might not ever become a reality.

I snagged two more as well plus a PS1 adapter. Once these arrive, I will have my SNES, Master System, Genesis, Saturn, PS1 and Jaguar all hooked up using their component cables. I'm looking into the mod needed to make the N64 work to see if it's a mod I could do myself or not. I'm getting close to having all of my non HDMI consoles running through component, which is my preferred method under my current setup. It sounds like Dreamcast will be their next system. I'm hoping that one will be done soon. I'm still hoping that they can recreate the chip needed to make new component cables for the GameCube. I know about the GC HDMI adapters, but I would prefer to run my GameCube through component on my CRT TV. I'm a little worried that due to the HDMI adapters for the GC, new component cables might not ever become a reality.

I really doubt anyone is going to recreate the component cables with the built in components but there are 2 solid options coming for dual HDMI and analog output.

Internal:

http://www.dansprojects.com/

External (the X2)

http://www.badassconsoles.com/gcvideox/

I really doubt anyone is going to recreate the component cables with the built in components but there are 2 solid options coming for dual HDMI and analog output.

Internal:

http://www.dansprojects.com/

External (the X2)

http://www.badassconsoles.com/gcvideox/

Yes, that's why I said I was worried that the HDMI adapter might eliminate the desire for someone to make a 3rd party component cable. But just because the HDMI converter exists, doesn't mean it's the preferred method for everyone.

Just a heads up that these are still very much in stock! I'll try to update if I see any of them go out of stock.

Unfortunately for me... I have a Vizio and those seem to be the LEAST friendly with their cables. I was considering one for my PS1, but it's not gonna work. :(

Thankfully both the PS2 and PS3 can play PS1 discs! (Feel bad for my poor PS1 though...)

EDIT - So this is basically just another heads up to be sure you do the 240p test they suggest! They won't refund you if the flaw is incompatibility.

http://www.hdretrovision.com/240p

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

I'm a little surprised that they are still in stock, but it makes sense that at some point, the supply would catch up to the demand. I think they might be at that point now. It might mean slower sales for HDRetrovision, but as a buyer it might mean that you can get whatever cables you need whenever you want them.

• Like 1

I'm a little surprised that they are still in stock, but it makes sense that at some point, the supply would catch up to the demand. I think they might be at that point now. It might mean slower sales for HDRetrovision, but as a buyer it might mean that you can get whatever cables you need whenever you want them.

It's probably a combination of multiple factors.

I have a feeling the recent Super NT is playing a big factor in the SNES cables remaining in stock. With such a nice HDMI option, fewer people are needing component cables for their SNES. I ended up selling my cable and my SNES because I preordered the Super NT. Also didn't help that my TV (screw you Vizio V_V) didn't work with it...

I'd also like to assume that they have a much larger number of Sega Genesis cables considering it's the base need for all of the adapters they have available.

Only other thing I could figure here other than "they actually planned this out" is that we're all lucky that some people are holding off for now. :lol:

My Genesis is already modded with component video out, but the DIN jack is still intact so the cables I bought will still work with it. The really cool thing is that I will be able to use these with my Nomad and I'm really curious to see how component compares to S-video on my Saturn. If they came out with an MSX adapter they'd be my heroes.

I'm really excited to try these out. I ordered the snes & genesis component cables, and the saturn adapter, can't wait to sell how everything looks. If I'm happy with the picture quality, and the cables are still available, I'm going to buy a couple extra.

With the right screen you will be blown away if you are used to composite. I sure was. The colors are really bright and the picture is very clear. I have the SNES cable already. When these went live I got the Genesis one with Saturn and Neo Geo adapters.

I'm sad my SNES doesn't pass the 240p test on the composite input. And I'm not sure that the cables would look that much better over the already really good looking s-video I get from my Saturn now to warrant a second cable purchase and adapter just for my Saturn. But I do have one of the Jag2SNES cable adapters so that might be a reason to pick up an SNES cable so that the jag runs off component at that point. Ehh...just can't be sure.

Do most people here buy these for use with an HDTV or to use with a CRT? I remember the Samsung plasma that came with my last college dorm took 240p over component like a champ and my modded Genesis looked incredible. But it seems like that's not usually the case with most model TVs out there.

I primarily use my cables to run to my CRT. However, since I use a matrix switcher for my systems, I also have the ability to run them to my HD TV at the same time. The nice thing about that is you can compare the CRT and HD images at the exact same time. Ultimately, I still prefer to play those games on the CRT, but in the event that I'm playing a multiplayer game such as Mario Kart with group of friends, the larger HD TV is a nice option to have.

I'm using these strictly for my larger HDtv in the game room. My game room is small enough as is especially with all my collection stuff that I haven't room for both the 48" flat panel and a CRT somewhere. So that is what started my quest to mod all my consoles in the first place. And the HD Retrovision cables on my Genesis look awesome on my Sony LED, but again I can only confirm that my Saturn and Genesis will work over 240p to my larger screen. My older Samsung could handle it, but it died an untimely death after a firmware upgrade about a month past its warranty.

Anyone know if the TCLs that were being touted around as awesome for gaming a month or so back can handle the 240p without issue? I do believe I read up that the TCLs cannot or rather do NOT allow you to force 4:3 ration on their digital inputs. That was a problem my even older Insgnia HDtv had and why I ultimately got rid of it.

They do have a chart of TVs showing what all they have tested. It's mostly Sega Genesis, but there's a few SNES spots in there.

Worth checking out if interested! http://www.hdretrovision.com/s/240p-TVs_20171211.pdf

Anyone know if the TCLs that were being touted around as awesome for gaming a month or so back can handle the 240p without issue? I do believe I read up that the TCLs cannot or rather do NOT allow you to force 4:3 ration on their digital inputs. That was a problem my even older Insgnia HDtv had and why I ultimately got rid of it.

Based on the PDF they have above, the TCL works for the cable, but it won't let you force 4:3 aspect ratio on it. :(

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

Those cables are amazing! I ordered the Genesis cable and the Saturn adapter.
I'm using my Genesis Model 2 with a LG Ultra HD TV and the results are much better than using SCART cables and a HDMI upscaler.
My TV detects the component input as 240p (480i in Sonic 2 versus mode) so the picture is perfect and I don't see any jailbar while I had jailbars and noise when using the SCART cable + upscaler.
While the cables are expensive, they really worth the money if you have a compatible TV.

I got my cables last week. It's not night and day vs my Saturn s-video cable, but it looks overall brighter. I also used them with my Nomad and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. It looked amazing. I don't need to use them with my Genesis, as it already has component installed in the back

• Like 1