IGNORED

Parsec 2600 goes Beta

hloberg

here is a video of the 1st wave (and little of 2nd) of my Parsec 2600.

https://youtu.be/Bje12dRGAeU

I started out trying to make an exact copy of the TI99 Parsec and found it was a bit too much for the 2600. scrolling ground turned out to be the killer.

So, I created a game inspired by with a lot of the game play of TI99 Parsec.

will be looking for beta volunteers soon after I clean up some of the graphics and counters.

Note: in the demo some collisions have been disabled.

• Like 8

It's looking good so far! I'm guessing that you are using the multisprite kernel for this project?

thank you and yes. Early on I tried the DPC+ kernel. It looked good but I was constantly running into gotchas. I would make something work which would in turn break something else. So i scraped it and asked myself, what would it look like if TI had, unlikely, given Atari a license for Parsec and Atari did their standard of dropping it on a programmers desk and saying, 'make this a game and you got 3 months to get it out the door.' The tools at the time where a multi-sprite in house and 8k max.

1st, if anyone has any thoughts, comments or ideas, please post.

Game play summary.

when game starts the novice switch gets you 8 ships and expert get 4 ships to start. also added a secret cheat that gets you 255 ships (currently hold the joystick back @ start).

the 1st wave is the swoopers. by level 3 you are having to hit each swooper 3 times. they also speed up the longer you take to clear the wave. this is like the TI99 version.

what I added is a timer at bottom right that shortens the time to clear the wave. this is to replace the 'over heating' gun from the TI99 version which I always hated. (I mean, the idea of a shooter game is to shoot, lots and often :)

next level is blaster with 2 beam shot. there are 3 blasters to get through. and by level 3 you will be having to hit each 3 times to clear. also added a timer.

the refueling tunnel is next. navigate through a tunnel to get to the end and get your points. by level 3 you are navigating 3 tunnels. past level 5 your ship starts speeding up.

next wave is backwards swoopers. much like 1st swoopers except they come in behind you.

the next blaster is like the other blaster except it fires a plasma ball and starting level 3 the last color change of the enemy ship makes it invisible.

finally is the asteroid field. CURRENTLY you can not fire on the asteroids only avoid them. the time in the asteroid field gets longer and longer.

after a game level is complete you get an extra ship.

will be looking for beta testers soon. volunteers are welcome.

• Like 1

Does the original kind of freeze up for a second when an enemy is destroyed? If that's not a requirement for copying the original, you might want to get rid of that feature.

Ya, I'm trying to think a way of doing that. It would Intel jumping out of the explosion loop back to the main loop during the sound routine. Doable but trying to think how with duplicating too many lines.

V 1.2 stuff. ;)

Edited by hloberg

Does the original kind of freeze up for a second when an enemy is destroyed? If that's not a requirement for copying the original, you might want to get rid of that feature.

Fixed. you can now move and the swooper ships continue moving while one of them swoopers explode.

thanks for the input. a good idea.

• Like 2

here is a video of the 1st wave (and little of 2nd) of my Parsec 2600.

https://youtu.be/Bje12dRGAeU

I started out trying to make an exact copy of the TI99 Parsec and found it was a bit too much for the 2600. scrolling ground turned out to be the killer.

So, I created a game inspired by with a lot of the game play of TI99 Parsec.

will be looking for beta volunteers soon after I clean up some of the graphics and counters.

Note: in the demo some collisions have been disabled.

Nice!!!!!!

Sent from my LG-V530 using Tapatalk

Cool! If you want to try to continue working on the DPC+ version and have a starfield and stuff you can allways PM me about any problem you run into and I'm shure we can solve it quick

actually, I'm already planning something even more advanced in the future. think SNES R-type or Lynx Gates of Zendocon. be a couple months but will definitely seek your assistance with DPC+ then.

thanks.

• Like 1

https://youtu.be/tDzGTof7qqE

version # XX

added sound effects. tweaked it some more. just found a bug where you can explode twice after being hit my a meteor. easy fix. now ready to see about creating the manual and putting to cartridge.

If you put it on cartridge, put me on the wait list! I'd love to have a copy of Parsec 2600.

alpha 1.2 just created. tested in Harmony cart on 7800. found 1 more bug.

side note: I sucked at playing Parsec on the TI99 and I don't seem to be much better at this. :)

update: bugs fixed. v1.3 tested. so far, haven't found anymore bugs.

Edited by hloberg

• 9 months later...