IGNORED

Who is the Commavid artist ?

strudders

Like most of us, I've always loved the Atari 2600 artwork used on the boxes/labels. Tim Lapetino's book was a major event when it came out - shedding light on so many artists and their work.

One publisher's artist seems to be a mystery though - that being Commavid.

The early artwork (Video Life, Cosmic Swarm) is nothing to write home about but I love the style of later games like Mines of Minos (a real hidden gem game in my opinion) and Cakewalk etc.

Searching around the internet I can't find any mention of the artist though. Looking at the signature on some of the boxes gives some pointers, but I'm not particularly good a deciphering these.

Probably the clearest example is on Minos below:

29357153_1869948746389712_95212897895796

Does anyone have any info on the artist or want to take a stab at guessing the name ?

I'm pretty certain the first name is 'Jack' but the second is not clear enough - maybe 'Bray' or 'Berry' ?

• Like 1

The DP website only states that they originally hired a local artist and that She also did work on arcades for a local arcade manufacturer but that they then later found another and more professional artist later. It is the later artist that you are looking for.

http://www.digitpress.com/archives/cc_commavid.htm

The DP website only states that they originally hired a local artist and that She also did work on arcades for a local arcade manufacturer but that they then later found another and more professional artist later. It is the later artist that you are looking for.

http://www.digitpress.com/archives/cc_commavid.htm

Hi, yes, that's the one. I think the local artist was used for the early version of Cosmic Swarm (there was an excellent version done by the later artist for Europe but I think it was only used in adverts) and Video Life. It's the "more professional artist" I was interetsted in. I did see that Digital Press article. It appears to have the most info about CommaVid in general.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the boxes in my collection, I think the artist's name is Noel Berry.

I think you got it Zwackery! What looked like the "h" part of "Nash" is actually just part of the capital "B". It probably is actually a lowercase l.

Could you post a high-res photo?

Looking at the boxes in my collection, I think the artist's name is Noel Berry.

Yep I can see it as Noel now that you mention it. Funny how a low quality photo of handwriting can be interpreted in so many different ways depending on the person who is looking at it.

I think you got it Zwackery! What looked like the "h" part of "Nash" is actually just part of the capital "B". It probably is actually a lowercase l.

Could you post a high-res photo?

I'll try to get a better image - I think the signature is easier to see on the Room of Doom box than Mines of Minos.

post-5874-0-37998800-1522805559_thumb.jpg