IGNORED

underrated c64 jems that arent in the top 100 list worthy to invest time in

Lemans and Pinball Spectacular won't make any Best Of lists, but they are both really fun games. They were also produced by Commodore, so they are exclusive to boot!

Judging from your avatar you might also like the C64 version of Skate or Die. I definitely had a lot of fun playing that bitd.

Edit - just noticed that Skate or Die is #66 on the Lemon list. Good game though.

• Like 2

Lemans and Pinball Spectacular won't make any Best Of lists, but they are both really fun games. They were also produced by Commodore, so they are exclusive to boot!

Right? Lemans is pretty addicting. The paddle control is a nice touch. There's one thing about it that drives me crazy, though: the word "Bonus" is misspelled as "Bouns." :P

Pinball Spectacular is cool too, although it isn't technically an exclusive since it also came out for the VIC-20. [/thatguy]

I'm not familiar with the C64's "Top 100 List," but speaking of first-party cartridge games, Avenger, Wizard of Wor, and GORF are also excellent.

Castlevania really gets dogged on but I think it's pretty decent for what it is. That one's definitely not on any Top 100 list, but it's not as bad as people say, IMO.

Every other game I can think of probably is on the Top 100, though. :)

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 2

For reference, here is Lemon64's Top 100 list where the number of required votes can be adjusted: http://www.lemon64.com/games/votes_list.php

Obviously there may be games people consider are "Top 100" but not rated high enough to actually get on that list, e.g. the C64 conversion of Gyruss.

I'm not subscribing to Lemans, I am more of a Motor Mania guy. I also like the music game Jammin' and the futuristic sports game Hypa-Ball.

Salamander is a surprisingly good conversion, better than Nemesis/Gradius IMHO but then again perhaps you're not looking for ports from other formats.

There have been lots of excellent homebrews in the last few years, both commercial and freeware. Everyone have their favorites. I've particularly come to like Micro Hexagon, conversion of the cell phone game.

Gamebase64 hasn't yet been updated past 2016, and the GUI only allows listing up to 2013, but by modifying the field adv_year in the URL, you can get to browse every year: 53 = 2013, 54 = 2014, 55 = 2015, 56 = 2016

http://gamebase64.com/search.php?adv_year=56&d=18&h=1&adv_game_name_t=2&adv_game_name=&adv_publisher_t=2&adv_publisher=&adv_graphician_t=2&adv_graphician=&adv_musician_t=2&adv_musician=&adv_programmer_t=2&adv_programmer=&adv_language=0&adv_genre=0&adv_cracker_t=2&adv_cracker=&adv_control=&adv_display=&adv_players=0&adv_max_players=0&adv_trained=0&adv_highscore=0&adv_loading_screen=0&adv_18=0&adv_TDE=0&adv_Doc=0&adv_game_file=0&adv_sid_file=0&adv_working=0&b=Go%21&a=6

• Like 1

My top five in no particular order: Trolls & Tribulations, Gyruss, Arkanoid & Arkanoid II, Silkworm, Shadow of the Beast.

I could go on. I have no idea of this top 100 list, either, and I find these kinds of lists wholly subjective.

• Like 2

Been a while since I looked at that list, but yeah... I'd tweak the hell out of that if I were putting together a top 100. There's a ton of great games missing, but for the sake of brevity, I'd include nearly all of the arcade translations ever put on cartridge. Then stuff like Ghostbusters, Pinball Construction Set (spent untold hours on that one), MicroLeague Baseball, Diamond Mine, BattleChess, Commando, One-On-One, Ghosts n Goblins... could go on and on. Really, most any of the big name titles are going to be good to great on the C64. It's just that kind of platform. ;)

• Like 2

I also want to point out Ballblazer as one of my absolute favorites, however, I have been unable to obtain a copy of the "proper" disk. That is, I have a (hopefully working when I find it) commercial copy of the game, but any copy I have been able to find on-line is apparently the PAL version as the timing is all wrong and the music off. Makes me think no one has yet to image the NTSC version.

For reference, here is Lemon64's Top 100 list where the number of required votes can be adjusted: http://www.lemon64.com/games/votes_list.php

While Racing Destruction Set is in that list, Mail Order Monsters is not for some reason. So that's one. Mancopter is another. Satan's Hollow and Pooyan are two great arcade conversions that are also not on the list.

• Like 2

You can log onto Lemon64 and cast your votes if you haven't already. The top 100 list has a default cut-off at least 50 votes, which can be changed from 20 to 120 votes.

Mail Order Monsters: rating 8.5 with 47 votes

Mancopter: rating 7.8 with 49 votes

Satan's Hollow: rating 7.6 with 31 votes

Pooyan: rating 7.6 with 85 votes

So that list is automatically generated from the entire database and all votes, it is not curated based on a select few people's ideas of a top list.

• Like 1

You can log onto Lemon64 and cast your votes if you haven't already. The top 100 list has a default cut-off at least 50 votes, which can be changed from 20 to 120 votes.

Mail Order Monsters: rating 8.5 with 47 votes

Mancopter: rating 7.8 with 49 votes

Satan's Hollow: rating 7.6 with 31 votes

Pooyan: rating 7.6 with 85 votes

So that list is automatically generated from the entire database and all votes, it is not curated based on a select few people's ideas of a top list.

Good tip. I voted.

Here's another one, although it helps to reference the box contents when playing: Colonial Conquest.

I wonder if there exists any person who has played through even 1/4 of the C64 games library. Lemon64 has a little over 4000 commercial games, Gamebase64 has over 25700 games of which lots are duplicates and hacks but I'm willing to think at least half of those are unique titles. Even if one only considers the smaller library, that would be 1000 games to have tried. I must admit most of the titles you have mentioned in this thread only, I have never tried and I've been a C64 gamer for 30+ years.

• Like 3

I wonder if there exists any person who has played through even 1/4 of the C64 games library. Lemon64 has a little over 4000 commercial games, Gamebase64 has over 25700 games of which lots are duplicates and hacks but I'm willing to think at least half of those are unique titles. Even if one only considers the smaller library, that would be 1000 games to have tried. I must admit most of the titles you have mentioned in this thread only, I have never tried and I've been a C64 gamer for 30+ years.

Good question. Plus, really played versus booted up and played for a minute or two. I'd say really played, probably only several hundred C-64 games since I first got one back in 1984ish. Of course, most of that was for maybe four years in the 80s, but it was a really intense four years. The pace slowed considerably ever since, obviously.

• Like 2

Graphic/Text adventures don't usually get much love these days. I keep meaning to go back to games like The Pawn and The Guild of Thieves as they seem like they would be good but are somewhat overlooked.

I'd recommend Critical Mass and The Dallas Quest if you want to try two text and graphics adventures that are relatively easy to beat without any hints and have some interesting features.

• Like 3

Satan's Hollow. That's one I've got to get ahold of.

What impresses me most about the C-64 version of Satan's Hollow is how closely it hews to the arcade game for an early 1984 release. There weren't any other contemporary ports of the game except for an unreleased Atari 8-bit/5200 version, which is absolutely dreadful in comparison (in my opinion).

• Like 2

Here's a few odds-and-ends from my favorites list in GameBase64:

Arnie - Overhead shooter, kind of like Commando.

Bounce - A side-scrolling shooter where you control a bouncing ball.

Catastrophe - Race to construct a building while dealing with assorted catastrophes.

Caveman - Cool single-screen platformer/shooter.

Crossroads II - The king of C64 shooters, as far as I'm concerned.

Crown Quest - Clone of Adventure for 2600.

Demon Stalkers - Gauntlet clone.

Hot Pop - Clone of Nuts & Milk for Famicom.

Kid Grid - Amidar clone.

Legend of the Knucker Hole - Great side-scrolling game. Very different styles of play across the different levels.

Mymmy's Tomb - Sort of a maze shooter. Reminds me of Tutankham mixed with Space Dungeon.

Pesky Painter - Another Amidar clone.

Pharaoh's Curse - Adventure platformer. A tiny bit similar to Montezuma's Revenge.

Rollin - Yet another Amidar clone.

Royal Rescue - Nice little platformer from Compute! magazine.

Time Tunnel - Weird adventure puzzle game where you play as a time traveling gnome.

Toy Bizarre - Single-screen platformer that's a little like Mario Bros.

• Like 3

Been a while since I looked at that list, but yeah... I'd tweak the hell out of that if I were putting together a top 100. There's a ton of great games missing, but for the sake of brevity, I'd include nearly all of the arcade translations ever put on cartridge. Then stuff like Ghostbusters, Pinball Construction Set (spent untold hours on that one), MicroLeague Baseball, Diamond Mine, BattleChess, Commando, One-On-One, Ghosts n Goblins... could go on and on. Really, most any of the big name titles are going to be good to great on the C64. It's just that kind of platform. ;)

Ah, someone else who likes Diamond Mine! Presume, like me, you mean the Roklan game here?

I'd estimate I've played 3000+ C64 titles in my time in some capacity, but that's still a small part of the library, even discounting all the magazine listings and duplicates in GB64...

• Like 1