IGNORED

iNES Release News and Support

Hello, All!

I've published iNES 5.9.1 for Android, a new version of my NES, Famicom, DiskSystem, and VS-System emulator:

https://fms.komkon.org/EmuAndroid/iNES-Android.apk -- outside Google Play
https://fms.komkon.org/EmuAndroid/ -- homepage

Starting this November, Google no longer allows Android apps to access files on Android10+ devices, outside app's sandbox. All storage access is now supposed to be done via something called "Storage Access Framework".

I had to make major changes to iNES in order to comply with the new regulations. If you have a newer Android10+, you will see the list of storage volumes in the File Selector. Once you click on a volume, the app may ask you for permission to access it. Otherwise, things should work the same as before. If you find any new problems with the app though, please, report them to the support group or email me directly. See below for all the changes.

ALL CHANGES:
* Refactored app to comply with Google's latest ban on file I/O.
* On Android 10+, all file access is now done via content providers.
* Content is copied to a temporary folder for use, changes moved back on exit.
* You may have to give app separate permission to read each storage location.

Have fun!

PS: Speccy Deluxe, the complete version of my Sinclair ZX Spectrum emulator, is currently on $2.99 sale at Google Play:

Hello, All!

I have released VGBAnext 6.4.2, a new version of my universal GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Color, NES, and Famicom emulator for Android:

Since Google no longer allows apps to access file system on Android10+ devices, the new VGBAnext will access files via "Secure Access Framework" on these devices. You may have to give the app permission to access your storage. Please, report any found problems to the support group or email me directly about them:

As you remember, I had to disable cheat features to avoid Google staff banning VGBAnext from the store. You can easily reenable cheats though by downloading this file to your Downloads folder:

ALL CHANGES:
* The app is on $2.99 sale at Google Play this week.
* Refactored app to comply with Google's latest ban on file I/O.
* On Android 10+, all file access is now done via content providers.
* Content is copied to a temporary folder for use, changes moved back on exit.
* You may have to give app separate permission to read each storage location.
* Fixed several crash sources that popped up after refactoring.
* Fixed handling of spaces and parentheses in "content://" URIs.
* Fixed list of volumes in "Change Folder" dialog.
* Fixed "Change Folder" functionality.

Have fun!

Hello, All!

I've published iNES 5.9.2 for Android, a new version of my NES, Famicom, DiskSystem, and VS-System emulator:

This release fixes a bunch of issues that popped up after refactoring the app for "Storage Access Framework" support. The app is once again runs on Android 4.2+ devices and properly handles spaces and parentheses in file names. I have also added support for homebrewn UNROM-512 (mapper #30) and Cheapocabra (mapper #111) boards.

ALL CHANGES:

* Added mapper #30 for homebrewn 512kB/256kB UNROM boards.
* Added mapper #111 for homebrewn Cheapocabra GTROM boards.
* Fixed several crash sources that popped up after refactoring.
* Fixed compatibility with Android 4.2/4.3.
* Fixed handling of spaces and parentheses in "content://" URIs.
* Fixed list of volumes in "Change Folder" dialog.
* Fixed "Change Folder" functionality.
* Fixed leaked dialog window on app exit.

Have fun!

PS: MasterGear, my Sega MasterSystem and GameGear emulator, is currently on $2.99 sale at Google Play:

Hello, All!

I have released VGBAnext 6.4.3, a new version of my universal GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Color, NES, and Famicom emulator for Android:

This release adds support for NES mappers #30 and #111, used by a lot of newer homebrewn cartridges. I have also fixed compatibility with Android 4.2, adding home screen shortcuts, opening files from other apps, and a few possible crash sources. Finally, rounded corners on legacy icons, for a better look.

As you remember, I had to disable cheat features to avoid Google staff banning VGBAnext from the store. You can easily reenable cheats though by downloading this file to your Downloads folder:

ALL CHANGES:
* Added NES mapper #30 for homebrewn 512kB/256kB UNROM boards.
* Added NES mapper #111 for homebrewn Cheapocabra GTROM boards.
* Fixed compatibility with Android 4.2/4.3.
* Fixed opening files from File Managers and other apps.
* Fixed adding home screen shortcuts on newer devices.
* Fixed several more possible crash sources.
* Fixed leaked dialog window on app exit.
* Added rounded corners to legacy icons.

Have fun!

PS: fMSX Deluxe, my MSX home computer emulator for Android, is on $2.99 sale this week:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, All!

I've published iNES 5.9.3 for Android, a new version of my NES, Famicom, DiskSystem, and VS-System emulator:

This release fixes opening NES files from external apps, such as file managers. It also fixes File Selector UI on newer AndroidTV devices and enables adding home screen shortcuts on newer Android devices. See below for all the changes.

ALL CHANGES:

* Fixed file selection UI on newer AndroidTV devices.
* Enabled adding home screen shortcuts on newer devices.

Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, All!

The free iNES 6.0 for Windows and Linux, my NES, Famicom, DiskSystem, and VS-System emulator, is now available for download:

The new release adds support for homebrewn UNROM-512 and Cheapocabra boards, making recent NES games run. See below for details.

ALL CHANGES:
* Added mapper #30 for homebrewn 512kB/256kB UNROM boards.
* Added mapper #111 for homebrewn Cheapocabra GTROM boards.

Have fun!

PS: MasterGear, my Sega MasterSystem, GameGear, and SG-1000 emulator for Android, is on $2.99 sale at Google Play this week:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, All!

I have published VGBAnext 6.4.4, a new version of my universal GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Color, NES, and Famicom emulator for Android:

This release is based on the latest VGBA, iNES, and VGB source code. In order to make File Selector scrolling more responsive, I no longer check for auxiliary files (such as save files, palettes, or cheats) when browsing content URIs. This makes File Selector much faster on Android 10+ devices, where the app cannot access file system directly.

ALL CHANGES:
* Disabled querying content providers for auxiliary files to improve performance.
* Scrolling in File Selector has become much more responsive.
* Using latest VGBA 6.3 source code.
* Using latest iNES 6.0 source code.
* Using latest VGB 5.9 source code.

Have fun!

PS: fMSX Deluxe, my MSX home computer emulator for Android, is on $2.99 sale this week:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, All!

The free iNES 6.1 for Windows and Linux, my NES, Famicom, DiskSystem, and VS-System emulator, is now available for download:

The new release adds optional frame rate display and makes most command line options work on Windows. I have also improved sound on Windows. See below for details.

ALL CHANGES:
* Fixed audio randomly not working on iNES-Windows startup.
* Added "Video | Show Framerate" menu option to iNES-Windows.
* Most command line options should now work in iNES-Windows.
* Increased synchronization timer precision in iNES-Windows.
* Added "-fps" command line option.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, All!

I've published iNES 6.1 for Android, a new version of my NES, Famicom, DiskSystem, and VS-System emulator:

This release is based on the iNES 6.1 for Windows and Linux, published recently. It optimizes File Selector scrolling on newer Android devices, making it much faster with many files present. See below for all the changes.

ALL CHANGES:

* Fixed file selection UI on newer AndroidTV devices.
* Enabled adding home screen shortcuts on newer devices.

Have fun!

Hello, All!

I have published VGBAnext 6.4.5, a new version of my universal GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Color, NES, and Famicom emulator for Android:

This release is based on the latest VGBA and iNES source code. It fixes the problem with in-game save files (.SAV) not being properly preserved on newer Android devices. Additionally, VGBAnext is on $2.99 sale at Google Play this week, 30% off its regular price.

ALL CHANGES:
* Fixed saving in-game states stored in .SAV files.
* Using latest VGBA 6.4 source code.
* Using latest iNES 6.1 source code.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello, All!

I have published VGBAnext 6.5, a new version of my universal GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Classic, NES, and Famicom emulator for Android:

This release adds Chinese translation, made by David Chen, and makes several fixes to saving emulation state. As you remember, I had to disable cheat features to avoid Google staff banning VGBAnext from the store. You can easily reenable cheats though by downloading this file to your Downloads folder:

ALL CHANGES:
* Added Chinese translations made by David Chen.
* Added another fix for timely saving of .SAV files.
* Now only saving screenshot when saving state.
* Fixed saving states with a hardware key.

Enjoy!
Edited by GarageResearch

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, All!

I've published iNES 6.1.2 for Android, a new version of my NES, Famicom, DiskSystem, and VS-System emulator:

This release has been built using Android 11 APIs. It fixes several bugs and adds Chinese language translation. The app should now work on newer AndroidTVs running Android 10+. If you are still experiencing problems on AndroidTV devices, let me know. See below for all the changes.

ALL CHANGES:

* Added support for newer Android TV versions using SAF.
* Fixed lost file handle issue detected by FDSAN.
* Added Chinese translation made by David Chen.
* Switched to Android 11 SDK (Android-30).
* Switched to Android Build Tools 30.0.3.

Have fun!

• 2 months later...

Hello, All!

I have released VGBAnext 6.6, a new version of my universal GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Classic, NES, and Famicom emulator for Android:

This release greatly improves GameBoy Printer emulation, adding support for compression, palettes, and making printer work in Pokemon Card Game. I have also applied a fix to the non-working virtual gamepad on Android12 devices. If you are still having problems using virtual gamepad on Android12, please, let me know.

Finally, the method to get cheats back has changed in this version. As you remember, I had to disable cheat features to avoid Google staff banning VGBAnext from the store. You can easily reenable cheats though by downloading this file and CLICKING ON IT in the File Selector:

ALL CHANGES:
* Hopefully fixed virtual gamepad issues on Android 12.
* Added support for newer Android TV versions using SAF.
* Added GameBoy Printer support for compressed data.
* Added GameBoy Printer support for palettes.
* Fixed GameBoy Printer response, Pokemon Card Game prints now.
* Fixed HTML printout to avoid inserting repeated <PRE> tags.
* Fixed GameBoy Printer grayscale range.
* Fixed lost file handle issue detected by FDSAN.
* Switched to Android 11 SDK (Android-30).
* Switched to Android Build Tools 30.0.3.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, All!

I have published VGBAnext 6.6.1, a new version of my universal GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Classic, NES, and Famicom emulator for Android:

In this release, I am making a second attempt to fix virtual gamepad operation on some Android12 devices (e.g. Pixel). If you are still having problems using virtual gamepad on Android12, please, let me know.

Please, note that the method to get cheats back has changed in this version. As you remember, I had to disable cheat features to avoid Google staff banning VGBAnext from the store. You can easily reenable cheats though by downloading this file and CLICKING ON IT in the File Selector:

ALL CHANGES:
* Second attempt to fix gamepad issues on Android 12.
* Fixed state files not getting deleted when requested.
* Fixed virtual gamepad shape reloading multiple times.
* Fixed gamepad button assignments to keyboard keys.
* Refactored virtual gamepad layout mechanism.

Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, All!

I've published iNES 6.1.3 for Android, a new version of my NES, Famicom, DiskSystem, and VS-System emulator:

This release fixes virtual gamepad layout in Android 12, physical gamepad button assignments, and a few other issues. See below for all the changes.

ALL CHANGES:

* Fixed virtual gamepad issues on Android 12.
* Fixed gamepad button assignments to keyboard keys.
* Fixed vulnerability when unzipping files, as reported by Google.

* Fixed possible crash when unpausing app during exit sequence.
* Fixed possible crash in the State Exchange.
* Fixed state files not getting deleted when requested.

* Fixed virtual gamepad shape reloading multiple times.

* Refactored virtual gamepad layout mechanism.

Have fun!

• 1 month later...

Hello, All!

I have published VGBAnext 6.6.2, a new version of my universal GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Classic, NES, and Famicom emulator for Android:

This release corrects gamepad button assignments to keyboard keys, fixes several possible crashes and a .ZIP file vulnerability reported by Google.

As you remember, I had to disable cheat features to avoid Google staff banning VGBAnext from the store. You can easily reenable cheats though by downloading this file and clicking on it in the File Selector:

ALL CHANGES:
* Final fix to gamepad button assignments to keyboard keys.
* Fixed vulnerability when unzipping files, as reported by Google.
* Fixed possible crash when unpausing app during exit sequence.
* Fixed possible crash in the State Exchange.
* Now showing folder name in the title instead of complete path.
* Now disabling keyboard options if there is no keyboard.
* Lowest supported Android version is Android 4.4 (SDK-19) now.

Have fun!