IGNORED

iNES Release News and Support

Hello, All!

I've released the new iNES 5.7.3 today, my free NES, Famicom, DiskSystem, and VS-System emulator:

The virtual gamepad now looks the same in all screen resolutions. If you changed the size of your virtual gamepad, you may need to adjust it once more in this release. I have also fixed a bunch of real and potential crashes and switched to the modern AndroidX and Firebase APIs. This means that at least Android 4.1+ (Jelly Bean) is required to run the new version. See below for all the changes.

ALL CHANGES:
* Virtual buttons now have same size on all devices.
* App now requires Android 4.1+ (Jelly Bean) to run.
* Improved the new AndroidTV interface.
* Fixed rare division by zero when creating icon tiles.
* Fixed missing method crash in the new AndroidTV UI.
* Fixed null pointer crash when starting new AndroidTV UI.
* Fixed null pointer crash when visiting Google Play.
* Changed Apache HTTP library linkage.
* Switched to "androidx.leanback.*" APIs.
* Switched to Firebase for reporting.
* Switched to Gradle 5.6.

Enjoy!

iNES-102319.apk

• Like 1

Hello, All!

VGBAnext 6.3.4, a new version of my universal GBA, GBC, and NES emulator for Android, is now available from Google Play:

In this release, I have made sure that the virtual gamepad looks the same in all screen resolutions. If you had to tweak virtual controls' size before, you may have to readjust them via "Settings | Input | Edit Joystick Layout". The new release also switches to the latest Google APIs and thus requires at least Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) or newer to run. If you are still stuck on Gingerbread (are you, really?), now would be a really good time to upgrade. As you remember, I had to disable cheat features to avoid Google staff banning VGBAnext from the store. You can easily reenable cheats by downloading this file to your "Downloads" folder:

See below for the complete list of changes in this release.

ALL CHANGES:
* Virtual buttons now have same size on all devices.
* App now requires Android 4.1+ (Jelly Bean) to run.
* Switched to "androidx.leanback.*" APIs.
* Switched to Firebase for reporting.
* Switched to Gradle 5.6.

PS: AlmostTI, my TI graphing calc emulator, is currently on $2.99 sale:

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, All!

I have successfully pushed the free version of iNES, my NES, Famicom, DiskSystem, and VS-System emulator, to Google Play Store:

The freshly published iNES has got a few changes compared to the previous version:

* Android [DPAD_CENTER] key now acts as NES [START] button.
* Enabled navigation with [DPAD_CENTER], [DELETE], and [ESCAPE] keys.
* Now ignoring repeated keypresses.

PS: VGBAnext, my universal GBA, GBC, and NES emulator, is currently on $2.99 sale:

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, All!

VGBAnext 6.3.5, a new version of my universal GBA, GBC, and NES emulator for Android, is now available from Google Play:

In this release, I added standard search functionality on AndroidTV and fixed a bunch of input-related bugs. One of these fixed bugs caused the screen to literally go blue on some devices (like Chromebooks). As you remember, I had to disable cheat features to avoid Google staff banning VGBAnext from the store. You can easily reenable cheats by downloading this file to your "Downloads" folder:

ALL CHANGES:
* Fixed screen going blue on some Androids, such as Chromebooks.
* Fixed settings not being applied after changing them in Preferences.
* Added standard AndroidTV search functionality.
* Modified "Changes" dialog to keep Google approval drones happy.
* Enabled navigation with [DPAD_CENTER], [DELETE], and [ESCAPE] keys.
* Now ignoring repeated keypresses.

Hello, All!

I have just published iNES 5.7.8 for Android, a free version of my NES, Famicom, DiskSystem, and VS-System emulator:

http://fms.komkon.org/iNES/iNES-Android-5708.apk

No Google Play release today, since their wonderful team is once again unhappy with some aspect of the app, undisclosed to me. The latest release fixes a bunch of issues, listed below.

ALL CHANGES:
* Fixed double clicks starting two game instances on some devices.

PS: AlmostTI, my TI graphing calc emulator, is currently on $2.99 sale:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.ati

Hello, All!

I have finally managed to push the free iNES 5.7.10 for Android into Google Play store today:

This time, Google inquisition crack team has forced me to do the following:

* Change the icon so that it does not show NES console, because they think it is a veiled copyright violation.
* Change the app title so that it does not contain the word "NES", for the same reason.
* Remove toolbar at the bottom of the screen, since they think it is "deceptive advertising".

I have no idea what is going on at that company and inside its management heads, but it is not good. Not only they treat developers like trash, shoveling them out at random with no real possibility of appeal or feedback, but there is serious loss of common sense at play. Anyways, this release contains the same changes introduced in the non-GooglePlay release a week ago, plus a few others.

ALL CHANGES:
* Fixed double clicks starting two game instances on some devices.
* Google Play "review team" no longer accepts app icons shaped as console.
* Google Play "review team" no longer accepts console name as part of app name.
* Google Play "review team" considers toolbar "deceptive advertising".

PS: Speccy Deluxe, my Sinclair ZX Spectrum emulator, is currently on $2.99 sale:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.speccy.deluxe

Hello, All!

VGBAnext 6.3.6, a new version of my universal GBA, GBC, GB, NES, and Famicom emulator for Android, is now available from Google Play:

This release comes with a single important fix. Previously, you could start two instances of the same game by double clicking it in the File Selector. The second instance ran in the background, invisibly, and exited at the same time with the first instance. Most of the time, anyway. This weird issue has now been fixed. As you remember, I had to disable cheat features to avoid Google staff banning VGBAnext from the store. You can easily reenable cheats by downloading this file to your "Downloads" folder:

Finally, VGBAnext is currently on $2.99 sale at Google Play. Going to stay this way for another few days. If you wanted to get a truly universal Nintendo retro-console emulator, this is your chance. Yes, it can also do Super GameBoy, Famicom DiskSystem, and VS-System arcade.

Have fun!

• 1 month later...

Hello, All!

I've released the free iNES 5.7.11, a new version of my NES and Famicom emulator for Android:

I am releasing this version as a standalone APK, since I am unable to get it published via Google Play any more. This release fixes the File Selector toolbar operation and makes Advanced Settings properly handle situation where Android prohibits access to a folder. See below for all the changes.

ALL CHANGES:
* Advanced Settings now switch to app folder when current folder unavailable.
* Advanced Settings will not allow to select unavailable folders.
* Toolbar now tries running paid apps before defaulting to free ones.

PS: Speccy Deluxe, my Sinclair ZX Spectrum emulator, is currently on $2.99 sale:

iNES-Android-5711.apk

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, All!

VGBAnext 6.3.8, a new version of my universal GBA, GBC, and NES emulator for Android, is now available from Google Play:

This release fixes file system navigation problems with inaccessible folders. The app will no longer allow entering inaccessible folders and will go to the default "/sdcard/VGBAnext" folder if the current folder becomes unavailable. If you need to quickly jump to a different folder, use the "Change Folder" menu option. As you remember, I had to disable cheat features to avoid Google staff banning VGBAnext from the store. You can easily reenable cheats by downloading this file to your "Downloads" folder:

ALL CHANGES:
* Fixed AndroidTV file browser getting stuck on unavailable folders.
* Fixed File Selector getting stuck on unavailable folders.
* AndroidTV browser will point to "Folders" row after changing folder.
* Advanced Settings now switch to app folder when current folder unavailable.
* Advanced Settings will not allow to select unavailable folders.
* Toolbar now tries running paid apps before defaulting to free ones.
* Added a message dialog when directing users to Google Play.

PS: MasterGear, my Sega MasterSystem and GameGear emulator, is currently on $2.99 sale at the Google Play store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.mg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello, All!

I've released the free iNES 5.7.14, a new version of my NES and Famicom emulator for Android:

http://fms.komkon.org/EmuAndroid/iNES-Android.apk

I am releasing this version as a standalone APK, since I am unable to get it published via Google Play any more. This release adds the list of available storage devices (SD cards, USB drives, etc) to the "Change Folder" dialog to make it easier to switch. Same devices can be found in the top row of AndroidTV UI icons. See below for all the changes.

ALL CHANGES:
* Added list of available storage devices to "Change Folder" dialog.
* Added available storage devices to the top row in AndroidTV UI.
* Changed message indicating that Android denied a directory listing.

PS: MasterGear, my Sega MasterSystem, GameGear, and SG1000 emulator, is currently on $2.99 sale:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.mg

Hello, All!

I have managed to publish the latest version of iNES for Android, 5.7.14, to Google Play:

It is essentially the same app as the one available from iNES website. You may want to install it if you prefer automated updates, although pushing each successive update to Google Play has become a hugely difficult task. Every single time, I have to prove to Google meat drones that the app does not include any Nintendo assets, has no NES images anywhere, and does not even mention NES in the app description or the title.

Anyways, enjoy while it lasts.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, All!

I have just published VGBAnext 6.3.10, a new version of my universal GBA, GBC, and NES emulator for Android:

In this version, I have fixed State Exchange, Network Play and Box Art Download features, which have been down for a while due to server-side policy changes. Everything should be back to normal again though. If you are still experiencing problems with any of these features, please, email me. I've also fixed a rare crash on AndroidTV systems when obtaining list of storage locations.

As you remember, I had to disable cheat features to avoid Google staff banning VGBAnext from the store. You can easily reenable cheats by downloading this file to your "Downloads" folder:

ALL CHANGES:
* Fixed stray crash on AndroidTV when obtaining the list of storage devices.
* Fixed State Exchange feature.
* Fixed Network Play feature.
* Fixed box art downloader.

Enjoy!

PS: AlmostTI, my universal TI graphing calc emulator, is on $2.99 sale this week:

Edited by GarageResearch

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, All!

I've just released the free iNES 5.7.15, a new version of my NES and Famicom emulator for Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.ines.free -- on Google Play
http://fms.komkon.org/EmuAndroid/iNES-Android.apk -- on website

I am releasing this version as both standalone APK and Google Play download, since I am not sure if Google will allow me to continue keeping it in Google Play. This release fixes State Exchange, Network Play, and Box Art Downloader features. I have also fixed a rare crash on AndroidTV and made some changes to the File Selector user interface. See below for all the changes.

ALL CHANGES:
* Fixed stray crash on AndroidTV when obtaining the list of storage devices.
* When parent folder not available, showing storage devices instead.
* Fixed State Exchange feature.
* Fixed Network Play feature.
* Fixed box art downloader.

PS: If you like iNES, please consider buying VGBAnext, my universal GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Classic, NES, and Famicom emulator. It is on $2.99 sale this week:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.emu

iNES-070420.apk

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, All!

I have just published VGBAnext 6.3.11, a new version of my universal GBA, GBC, and NES emulator for Android:

This release is based on the VGBA 6.0, released earlier this week. As you remember, I had to disable cheat features to avoid Google staff banning VGBAnext from the store. You can easily reenable cheats by downloading this file to your "Downloads" folder:

ALL CHANGES:
* Now using latest VGBA 6.0 source code.
* When parent folder not available, showing storage devices instead.

Enjoy!

PS: fMSX Deluxe, the complete version of my MSX home computer emulator, is on $2.99 sale this week:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, All!

The free iNES 5.8 for Windows and Linux, my NES, Famicom, DiskSystem, and VS-System emulator, is now available for download:

http://fms.komkon.org/iNES/ -- homepage
http://fms.komkon.org/iNES/iNES58-Windows-bin.zip --Windows binary
http://fms.komkon.org/iNES/iNES58-Ubuntu-x86-bin.tgz -- Linux binary

The new version fixes several bugs with moving and resizing the application window and saves the choice of physical gamepad in iNES-Windows. Finally, iNES-Windows comes with a menu option for clearing all current settings, in case they get messed up.

ALL CHANGES:
* Added "File | Clear Settings and Quit" option to iNES-Windows.
* Fixed small windows behavior in iNES-Windows.
* Fixed window position behavior in iNES-Windows.
* Saving physical joystick/gamepad selection in iNES-Windows.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, All!

I have just published VGBAnext 6.3.12, a new version of my universal GBA, GBC, and NES emulator for Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.emu

VGBAnext is on $2.99 sale at Google Play this week. The new release is based on the latest iNES 5.8 and VGB 5.7 sources. It majorly improves Box Art Downloader, adding support for URL redirection and other things. As you remember, I had to disable cheat features to avoid Google staff banning VGBAnext from the store. You can easily reenable cheats by downloading this file to your "Downloads" folder:

http://fms.komkon.org/EmuAndroid/VGBAnext-Cheats.zip

ALL CHANGES:
* Currently on $2.99 sale at Google Play.
* Using latest iNES 5.8 source code.
* Using latest VGB 5.7 source code.
* Made multiple fixes to Box Art Downloader.
* Fixed Box Art Downloader to use alternative storage location.
* Fixed Box Art Downloader to follow redirects.
* Added HTTPS support to Box Art Downloader.

Enjoy!

Edited by GarageResearch

Hello, All!

I've just released the free iNES 5.8 for Android, a new version of my NES and Famicom emulator:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.ines.free -- on Google Play
http://fms.komkon.org/EmuAndroid/iNES-Android.apk -- on website

I am releasing this version as both standalone APK and Google Play download, since I am not sure if Google will allow me to continue keeping it in Google Play. This release is based on iNES 5.8 for Windows and Linux, released some time ago. It greatly improves Box Art Downloader functionality, adding support for URL redirects and other things. See below for all the changes.

ALL CHANGES:
* Based on the latest iNES 5.8 sources.
* Made multiple fixes to Box Art Downloader.
* Fixed Box Art Downloader to use alternative storage location.
* Fixed Box Art Downloader to follow redirects.
* Added HTTPS support to Box Art Downloader.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Hello, All!

I have just released VGBAnext 6.4, a new version of my universal GBA, GBC, and NES emulator for Android:

VGBAnext is on $2.99 sale at Google Play this week. The new release is based on the latest VGBA 6.2 released earlier this week. It includes majorly refactored scaling and special effects framework and adds CPU-based simple linear interpolation algorithm. This algorithm is used when you disable "Accelerated Video" option and enable "Linear Scaling" option. As you remember, I had to disable cheat features to avoid Google staff banning VGBAnext from the store. You can easily reenable cheats by downloading this file to your "Downloads" folder:

ALL CHANGES:

* Using latest VGBA 6.2 source code.

* Refactored scaling and special effects framework.

* Added CPU-based simple linear interpolation algorithm.

* Added separate option for linear image interpolation.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, All!

The free iNES 5.9 for Windows and Linux, my NES, Famicom, DiskSystem, and VS-System emulator, is now available for download:

The new version includes majorly refactored scaling and special effects framework and a simple CPU-based linear interpolation scaler. The CPU-based interpolation is used when it is impossible to use GPU to scale screen images. The Windows version also adds drag'n'drop support and explicit "Video | Interpolate Video | Linear Scaling" option. The Linux version now supports "-linear" command line argument.

ALL CHANGES:
* Optimized scaling for large screens and windows.
* Added simple CPU-based linear scaling algorithm.
* Added file drag'n'drop support to iNES-Windows.
* Added "-linear" command line option to iNES-Linux.
* Added "Video | Interpolate Video | Linear Scaling" option to iNES-Windows.
* Enabled "Video | Stretch Full Screen" option with effects enabled.
* Enabled "Video | Force 4:3 Screen" option with effects enabled.

Have fun!

PS: fMSX Deluxe, the complete version of my MSX and MSX2 emulator, is on $2.99 sale at Google Play this week:

Hello, All!

I've published the free iNES 5.9, a new version of my NES and Famicom emulator for Android:

I am releasing this version as both standalone APK and Google Play download, since I am not sure if Google will allow me to continue keeping it in Google Play. This release is based on iNES 5.9 for Windows and Linux, published this week. It adds a simple CPU-based linear interpolation scaler, used when GPU usage is unfeasible. There is also a separate "Video | Interpolation Effect | Linear Interpolation" option now. See below for all the changes.

ALL CHANGES:
* Based on the latest iNES 5.9 sources.
* Added simple CPU-based linear interpolation algorithm.
* Added separate option for linear image interpolation.

Hello, All!

I have published VGBAnext 6.4.1, a new version of my universal GBA, GBC, GB, and NES emulator for Android:

The new version fixes melodic sound operation with DirectSound disabled. Thus, games like International Karate and Phantasy Star should have sound now. As you remember, I had to disable cheat features to avoid Google staff banning VGBAnext from the store. You can easily reenable cheats by downloading this file to your "Downloads" folder:

ALL CHANGES:

* Fixed melodic audio playback when DirectSound is off.
* Fixed sound in International Karate.
* Fixed sound in Phantasy Star.

Have fun!

• 4 weeks later...