IGNORED

Venetian Blinds

lasscassidy

Hey y'all! I'm currently in the process of writing an article detailing the history of the "Venetian Blinds" program for my website, and was curious if anyone wouldn't mind helping to fact-check some bits of information I'm looking to convey with it?

• Atari Compendium provides what is billed as a manual for Venetian Blinds, which is certainly more than a little suspect: Obviously, with the game never having an actual box copy or retail release of any sort, there's no reason why Activision would've bothered to mock up a manual for it. Furthermore, the production code listed on the last page (AG-004-03) corresponds to Fishing Derby, implying that release as the template for this spoof. All that being said, the included "Tips from David Crane" page is actually a decent little resource of information, and I'd love to track down a source on where those quotes were initially pulled from?
  • In describing the actual "Venetian blinds" rendering technique, I try to provide a simple explanation to the effect of "it cuts out rows of horizontal pixels from alternating sprites in order to bypass the sprite limit." Is this a fair way of explaining it, or is it perhaps a bit too over-simple? Also, I use Video Chess as an example of the effect in action, but I'd like to know of any other titles that utilized the effect to a noticeable extent.
  • A number of different sources seem to attribute a 1982 "release date" to the Venetian Blinds demo, but that strikes me as somewhat odd. With Atari seeming to having filed their suit against Activision at least two years earlier, and the venetian blinds technique being a major point of contention for them, I'd have to assume that the Venetian Blinds demo was probably produced fairly early in the course of the court hearings -- maybe as early as 1979, even. Is this 1982 release date simply chosen to correspond with the fact that it's at least known to predate Barnstorming (what with it using the same sunset and all), or is there some other story at play here?

(The attached image is something like my attempt at a reconstruction of what the cover art for the title may have possibly looked like, based on the mock-up art provided in the early 2000s Activision Anthology releases.)

post-63991-0-06944000-1521533571_thumb.jpg

Edited by lasscassidy

This wasn't a game.

There was no artwork for it.

We already know everything there is to know about it.

...YOUR INSANE...!!!...get help!

Thank you for the incredibly insightful reply. Really helped clear up all my questions!

Look, I'm obviously aware that it's not a real "game," and by that very nature all the artwork for it is going to be fan-made or mock-up. But the fact of the matter is that there is a fascinating history to the production of the program, and it's not one that everybody actually knows. That's the point of my article: To give a history of how and why it came to be, and following up by accounting for how the game eventually made it to actual honest-to-god digital sale and distribution [through the Game Room service].

Also, not to be rude, but who are you to say that we know "everything there is to know about it?" There's always the chance that a day may come where a bunch of new information on it comes out, or maybe even some "prototype" version of it gets released. Unlikely, sure, but not outside the realm of possibility. I'd personally be fascinated to see such a development occur, as software like this is right in my wheelhouse.

Thank you for the incredibly insightful reply. Really helped clear up all my questions!

Look, I'm obviously aware that it's not a real "game," and by that very nature all the artwork for it is going to be fan-made or mock-up. But the fact of the matter is that there is a fascinating history to the production of the program, and it's not one that everybody actually knows. That's the point of my article: To give a history of how and why it came to be, and following up by accounting for how the game eventually made it to actual honest-to-god digital sale and distribution [through the Game Room service].

Also, not to be rude, but who are you to say that we know "everything there is to know about it?" There's always the chance that a day may come where a bunch of new information on it comes out, or maybe even some "prototype" version of it gets released. Unlikely, sure, but not outside the realm of possibility. I'd personally be fascinated to see such a development occur, as software like this is right in my wheelhouse.

Supergun is just teasing you.

Keep up the good work!

The manual is a joke.

Perhaps it's a good idea to find out when exactly this meeting between Crane and the lawyers happened.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Yes, I will agree that more information is always appreciated & welcomed with regards to the history of our beloved 2600. And yes, I thank you as well.

But I will say, for the record, that I much prefer the Matt story, wether inaccurate or not, because it has always been one of my favorite stories and because I have always told it to my guests when they visit & I plug in the cartridge while saying that classic line.

I was simply going on the information I was given at the time (by Ken I think). I didnt have any access to the Activision programmers themselves so I had to trust what I was being told was accurate. Ill update my page with this corrected information (if thats alright with you that is).

Looks like what I was told wasnt too far off, just garbled. Thanks for setting the record straight.

• Like 1

I was simply going on the information I was given at the time (by Ken I think). I didnt have any access to the Activision programmers themselves so I had to trust what I was being told was accurate. Ill update my page with this corrected information (if thats alright with you that is).

Looks like what I was told wasnt too far off, just garbled. Thanks for setting the record straight.

Yeah, absolutely feel free to update the page if you're inclined to! And I hope the article didn't come across as if I was like, making fun of you for providing the story you were told or anything along those lines: Just wanted to make sure the distinction in the article was made between the two different stories was all. I'll also go ahead and correct my own details in the article as to what your source was, so that side of the story can be made accurate as well.

Yeah, absolutely feel free to update the page if you're inclined to! And I hope the article didn't come across as if I was like, making fun of you for providing the story you were told or anything along those lines: Just wanted to make sure the distinction in the article was made between the two different stories was all. I'll also go ahead and correct my own details in the article as to what your source was, so that side of the story can be made accurate as well.

Oh no, it didn't come across like that at all. Sometimes the information I'm given is incorrect or has inaccuracies in it (sometimes directly from the programmers mouth!), so I'm always on the look out for up to date and correct info. I was just saying that the info on my page wasn't a theory of mine (I generally mention it when that happens), it was information that was given to me from someone who had access to the Activision guys. Like I said, it wasn't too far off, just the details got garbled.

As to my source, I *think* it was Ken who was the guy who worked with the programmers on the Acitivison compilations that came out. He posted a lot of info on here and gave me access to the roms when they released those prototypes on one of the packs. I don't remember his last name or if I even knew it. Al might have more info on that. The reason I say it was Ken is that I can't think of anyone else who would have had that knowledge that I talked to (like I said, I wasn't talking to the programmers themselves).

• Like 1

Oh no, it didn't come across like that at all. Sometimes the information I'm given is incorrect or has inaccuracies in it (sometimes directly from the programmers mouth!), so I'm always on the look out for up to date and correct info. I was just saying that the info on my page wasn't a theory of mine (I generally mention it when that happens), it was information that was given to me from someone who had access to the Activision guys. Like I said, it wasn't too far off, just the details got garbled.

As to my source, I *think* it was Ken who was the guy who worked with the programmers on the Acitivison compilations that came out. He posted a lot of info on here and gave me access to the roms when they released those prototypes on one of the packs. I don't remember his last name or if I even knew it. Al might have more info on that. The reason I say it was Ken is that I can't think of anyone else who would have had that knowledge that I talked to (like I said, I wasn't talking to the programmers themselves).

Just for the sake of clarity: The Ken in question is here is Ken Siders, I presume?

Edited by lasscassidy

BTW: did you find any info on the release date?

8)

Judging from Crane's recounting that he privately showed the program at a CES event - probably after Activision's initial CES debut [wherein they showed off their launch lineup] - I'm going to guess that Venetian Blinds' unveiling would've taken place at some point in either 1980 or 81. It'd take tracking down a full list of CES events held in that era and which companies were in attendance, which I can certainly try to look into!

Judging from Crane's recounting that he privately showed the program at a CES event - probably after Activision's initial CES debut [wherein they showed off their launch lineup] - I'm going to guess that Venetian Blinds' unveiling would've taken place at some point in either 1980 or 81. It'd take tracking down a full list of CES events held in that era and which companies were in attendance, which I can certainly try to look into!

If the sunset was used in Banstorming and Chopper Command, I would say 1981, instead of 1980.

8)

The Atari vs Activision lawsuits started in around august 1980:

https://books.google.nl/books?id=ZD4EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PP1&lpg=PP1&dq=atari+sews+activision&source=bl&ots=OtJzpWVgZM&sig=O0sHv7l3ucWmOUyGQogcpNioC_Y&hl=nl&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjrlcCMopzaAhVKEVAKHWyGDmsQ6AEIVTAJ#v=onepage&q=atari%20sews%20activision&f=false

and ended around december 1981:

https://books.google.nl/books?id=ej0EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA1&dq=atari+sues+activision&hl=nl&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj0sP-yqZzaAhXEIVAKHYxzDPs4ChDoAQhVMAY#v=onepage&q=atari%20sues%20activision&f=false

Venetian Blinds demo being released in 1981 (with Barnstorming/Chopper Command sunset in mind) seems most likely.

I think we can rule out 1982 as its release year.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Matt, before you change the article on your site, or at least that part of it that has the famous line, is there any way you could save it or preserve it such as perhaps leaving it intact and explaining that for 15 years or so, this was what we thought or had been told.

I just think your article, in its true & original form, is a part of history now, and must be preserved & remembered.

• 1 month later...