IGNORED

Kyan Pascal - urgent call for help to all to finish this project

luckybuck

Hi together,

We have made big progress to restore Kyan Pascal (runs on mainframes!) for all:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Pascal#section-Pascal-KyanPascalCopyrightC1985KyanSoftware

To complete Kyan Pascal, we need desperately your help again. Best are members of the Kyan team from the golden age, if they read here, too. :-)

Anyway, if someone has one of the following things or even know one, who has and can borrow us this for a limited time, please let us know. :-)))

The missing list is as follows:

- Kyan Pascal version 1.0, 1.2 and 1.3
- Programming Utility Toolkit for Kyan Pascal version 1.x
- Advanced Graphics Toolkit for Kyan Pascal version 1.x
- Kyan Pascal version 2.0 and 2.03
- System Utilities Toolkit for Kyan Pascal version 2.x
- Code Optimizer Toolkit for Kyan Pascal version 2.x ; includes the source code for the Runtime Library

Any help of any kind, even just hints or infos to complete the above is very welcome at any time. We really would appreciate your help, because now, we are sadly in a dead end. Only the community is able to bring this to a happy end. Thank you all in advance. :-)

Credits so far:

We deeply, deeply thank Tom Eckmann, CEO of Kyan Software, for giving Kyan Pascal into PD. Tom, be sure, you are in our hearts forever, you will never be forgotten! Thank you so much! Further, we thank WASEO from Germany for initiating this project, establishing contact to Tom and doing so much for this project. We thank Kevin Savetz for interviewing Tom and making contact again. We thank the "stay behind task force from Abbuc" for founding some ultra rare (way above 10) parts of this projects. We thank GoodByteXL for scanning all the manuals, preparing them, bringing them into read mode and getting into Kyan Pascal that deep, so we could build this site. We thank Thomas Grasel from RAF for borrowing his Kyan Pascal version, so we could compare it with the other versions. We thank Fred from the Atari museum in the Netherlands for a major, lost to believe contribution in this project.

• 4 weeks later...

Loved Kyan Pascal. It was excellent.

We had to learn Pascal during my electronics education and the school used Philips (!) PC machines with only two floppy drive units.

The whole process of linking/compiling was done by loading from floppies and took ages.

One day we had an "open door day" for the school and we were allowed to bring our machines. Everyone had different systems like the usual Spectrum, C64, TI99/4A and I recently had bought a 130XE. The teacher (a math teacher....they then thought it was the most logical that a math teacher would teach computers.....) immediately branded my machine as a GAMES MACHINE because he saw the Atari logo and name.

So I challenged him to write the same program on the school's Philips PC's and on my 130XE, and have a speed match until the program actually ran.

Naturally I hadn't told him about that I had the required tools installed on the RAMdisk and following that the XE "flew" through the entire process and was long running the program while the PC was still loading the compiler......

I had a HUGE grin on my face as I noticed how that teacher looked.....and I said......some game machine eh..... :D

The really funny thing is that those PC's had plenty of more memory than my XE and the DOS actually contained software to set-up a RAMdisk too, but the teacher simply didn't know his stuff on computers like we did.....

ahh man....great memory.....

• Like 5

Hi together,

We have made big progress to restore Kyan Pascal (runs on mainframes!) for all:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Pascal#section-Pascal-KyanPascalCopyrightC1985KyanSoftware

To complete Kyan Pascal, we need desperately your help again. Best are members of the Kyan team from the golden age, if they read here, too. :-)

Anyway, if someone has one of the following things or even know one, who has and can borrow us this for a limited time, please let us know. :-)))

The missing list is as follows:

- Kyan Pascal version 1.0, 1.2 and 1.3

- Programming Utility Toolkit for Kyan Pascal version 1.x

- Advanced Graphics Toolkit for Kyan Pascal version 1.x

- Kyan Pascal version 2.0 and 2.03

- System Utilities Toolkit for Kyan Pascal version 2.x

- Code Optimizer Toolkit for Kyan Pascal version 2.x ; includes the source code for the Runtime Library

Any help of any kind, even just hints or infos to complete the above is very welcome at any time. We really would appreciate your help, because now, we are sadly in a dead end. Only the community is able to bring this to a happy end. Thank you all in advance. :-)

Credits so far:

We deeply, deeply thank Tom Eckmann, CEO of Kyan Software, for giving Kyan Pascal into PD. Tom, be sure, you are in our hearts forever, you will never be forgotten! Thank you so much! Further, we thank WASEO from Germany for initiating this project, establishing contact to Tom and doing so much for this project. We thank Kevin Savetz for interviewing Tom and making contact again. We thank the "stay behind task force from Abbuc" for founding some ultra rare (way above 10) parts of this projects. We thank GoodByteXL for scanning all the manuals, preparing them, bringing them into read mode and getting into Kyan Pascal that deep, so we could build this site. We thank Thomas Grasel from RAF for borrowing his Kyan Pascal version, so we could compare it with the other versions. We thank Fred from the Atari museum in the Netherlands for a major, lost to believe contribution in this project.

This is all I've found in my discombobulated collection so far...

--Tim

Kyan Pascal (1986)(Kyan Software)(Side B)(US).zip

Kyan Pascal (1986)(Kyan Software)(Side A)(US).zip

Kyan Pascal v1.1 (1987)(Kyan Software)(US).zip (not among missing, but provided to show there's a distinction between this one and the other two disks which do NOT boot to a version number from what I can tell via Altirra)

• Like 1

@Level42: :-) Yes, I have similar stories with my math teacher, when using Graph It and graphing program on my my own... Today, we have all similar stories with our politicians... ;-)

@Tim: Thank you so much Tim, there is also a 'kind soul of the midwest' who helped the community very much and Kevin was so nice to copy the manuals for us:

https://archive.org/details/KyanPascalv1Manual

(note there are 4 documents there)
will upload everything very soon to the Wiki for all. Further, I intend to make a matrix about what we already have and have not. I am sure, with the help of all, we are able to finish this project. So we have done with the educational system, Dorsett and much more.
Therefore, I really would like to thank everyone who can make a contribution here. :-) So great to be part, when a dream comes true. :-)))

If you or anyone can determine the version of the (1986) version, I'll adjust the filename accordingly. I'm presuming it's version 1.0, given that it predates the 1987 date of version 1.1 ??

The 1986 version is Kyan Pascal V. 2.x. The KIX-prompt "%" identifies it. Additionally, type AS<RETURN> at the prompt to see the assembler version 2.x. Surfaced in Summer 1986.

V.1 doesn't have an separate assembler - compiler and assembler are kept together in one program demanding more memory. That's why V 1.x requires an XL/XE.

The 1987 version of Kyan Pascal 1.1 is a user modded version, as far as we could figure out. Last official version of KP 1.x was version 1.3 in late 1985/early 1986, which is not found yet.

• Like 2

Please find what I've got that's labeled Kyan.

The physical disk is also available.

However, I've tested neither disk or ATR recently.

"EDITOR VERSION 1.1"

COPYRIGHT 1985 BY KYAN SOFTWARE

"PASCAL COMPILER/ASSEMBLER VER. 1.1"

COPYRIGHT 1985 BY KYAN SOFTWARE

• 2 years later...

Hi Folks

Bit of a necrobump. Is 1.3 still missing? I *may* have a copy on the way to me. Untested obviously but if it’s still needed I’ll try and dump it. If it’s legit and working and someone wants to kryoflux it I’ll happily donate it for archival. 

6222908F-8E9F-4AED-8F80-01E1205D30C3.thumb.jpeg.2987a745ceea883c288d3934248edadf.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

WOW!!!!!! Spookt, yes, that is still missing!!!! :-)))))

The actual missings, dead or alive ;-), are always here:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Rarity 10

Kyan never protected their disks, so you can make a 'normal' copy as well. With a kryo or scp dump, you woud be in our hearts for ever twice, of couse! :-)))

You are Atari man of the month, thank you so much in advance, we are deep in your debt! :-)))

OK - Straight copies of each side of the disk via RespeQT. Confusingly side A doesn't boot. Side B boots and reports version 1.1. Perhaps someone who knows the system can take a look.

I don't have the kit to Kryoflux but if someone wants to archive this then let me know and I'll donate it.

KYAN_PASCAL_1.3_A.ATR

KYAN_PASCAL_1.3_B.ATR

KYAN_PASCAL_1.3_DISC.thumb.png.15a0b5075be8a10df1f25259036bdd48.png

Edited by spookt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, spookt said:

OK - Straight copies of each side of the disk via RespeQT.

Thanks for that.

A file-by-file comparison with the images on AtariWiki shows that the software is identical to the first image in their list marked "Kyan Pascal V. 1.1 complete restored by GoodByteXL ; thank you so much GoodByteXL for your help. We really appreciate that! ? "

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Pascal#section-Pascal-ATRImages

The differences to the data on the other two images of v1.1 by Serious Computerist @MrFish are marginal and not in any of the main programs.

It looks like yours is a virgin disk whereas the one restored by @GoodByteXL contains everything on one side for convenient compilation fun.

The only real difference is a hello world programm "HELLO" and its binary "HELLO.O" which are on your disk and are not on the restored image. The same program can be found on the image on v1.0.

Your disk contains a DOS 2.5 and a small AUTORUN.SYS with some sort of shell on side B and everything else on side A. So you have to boot from B and then flip the disk.

Weird is the fact that your disk is factory-labeled v1.3 but outputs VERSION 1.1 when started. The compiler itself writes VER 1.2, but this also the same for the v1.1 dumps on AtariWiki.