IGNORED

Atari 800 - no sign of life

TheDash

Maybe 81 then, or even 82 - my memory isnt so great :) I know it was before my dad got a Vic 20, which I *think* was 1982.

Depressingly (no pun intended) the keyboard isnt working .. might have to post another question does anyone know why an Atari 800 keyboard might stop working?

Maybe 81 then, or even 82 - my memory isnt so great :) I know it was before my dad got a Vic 20, which I *think* was 1982.

Depressingly (no pun intended) the keyboard isnt working .. might have to post another question does anyone know why an Atari 800 keyboard might stop working?

Reseat the keyboard connector. If that doesn’t fix it, could be the keyboard multiplexor logic chips or POKEY.

The easiest permanent way well, not necessarily permanent, is to blob solder between the pins of the lid switch. It will never give a problem again, and may be easily removed by a solder sucker.

Or install a SPST 'bypass' switch.

Sorry I'm not quite with you .. are you suggesting ways to fix my keyboard problem? I don't really know what any of that means - being of course tech unsavvy as I am ..

Sorry that doesn't help you fix your keyboard problem. That switch suggestion was In reference to keeping the machine on with the cartridge door open...

Hopefully this could be my last post on Atari 800 whoas :D

The keyboard was not responding (other than function keys) so I spent time desoldering, cleaning, and re sitting the connector. Still no.

Then I discovered pressing break brought it to life .. suddenly every key working.

Is this normal behaviour? I really cant remember .. but pressing break seems to put it into memo pad mode, and if I remember right there is no basic interpreter built in - that comes on cart.

Hopefully this could be my last post on Atari 800 whoas :D

The keyboard was not responding (other than function keys) so I spent time desoldering, cleaning, and re sitting the connector. Still no.

Then I discovered pressing break brought it to life .. suddenly every key working.

Is this normal behaviour? I really cant remember .. but pressing break seems to put it into memo pad mode, and if I remember right there is no basic interpreter built in - that comes on cart.

That's not normal. Memo Pad should pop up by itself, no keypress required.

​What happens when you insert a BASIC or other language cart (PILOT, Assembler/Editor, LOGO ...)?

I dont have any language carts unfortunately.. but Donkey Kong comes up just fine ?

It may not be normal behaviour, but to be honest Im fine with that just now. I got the machine working after a deep 35 year hibernation, I can play the cartridge games I have, and I can type lots of little notes to myself in memo pad. Until I need to do anything else Ill park it and not take anymore of your time. Besides, I have a 7800 to fix now..

Thanks for all your help!