IGNORED

Skyrim thoughts

cimerians

Okay so I fired up Skyrim about a month ago and I've been through this game a whole lot over the years and always wanted to ask who ever played this game or plays it now, what's your thoughts on the following:

Imperials or Stormcloaks? Why?

Do you join a fanction? Thieves Guild, College of Winterhold the Brotherhood? Do you join all of them?

Light or Heavy armor? Do you smith? (You should)

Highest level you ever got? All trophies\achievements?

Anyone enjoy(ed) playing 100% Mage?

Has anyone ever completely unlocked every location on the map? As much as I've played this game since it came out I don't think I've ever done that, then again I've swapped between console and PC etc

I have a big fat ebook with all the secrets, and have been meaning to chew on this game, especially now that it's on Switch. Can't seem to get started, though. It seems so wide open as to feel almost meaningless. On paper, I love the game. In real life, I think I might prefer the paint-by-numbers linearity of a JRPG.

Imperials or Stormcloaks? Stormcloaks, the Imperials just seem kind of rotten.

Do you join a fanction? Thieves Guild, College of Winterhold the Brotherhood? Do you join all of them? All

Light or Heavy armor? Do you smith? (You should) Light and yes smithing is awesome.

Highest level you ever got? All trophies\achievements? All achievements. Not sure what level I am at.

Anyone enjoy(ed) playing 100% Mage? I played Skyrim and Oblivion as an Argonian Mage, but for the most part you have to use some sort of weapon combined with your magic to really get anywhere in combat.

Has anyone ever completely unlocked every location on the map? I believe I have. Not really sure how to tell. I don't believe there is an achievement for finding them all, but rather just a large number of them.

• Like 2

I was playing for a time and then other things, games, life got in the way and I put it down -- and not from boredom. I don't really remember getting into any of the culty things there, but I have moved along getting the chants from the bearded ones probably a bit earlier than I should have as I got my partner lady I like murdered by some damned ice troll on the way. I've done various side bits as I came by them, dragons too, but mostly just messed with the direct story in one direction or the other if it split and I got bored in a spot. Same can also be said of picking away at Doom too also by Bethesda. Both are solid works worth having as a first or a re-run.

Imperials or Stormcloaks... my first time playing, neither... that character had commitment issues... second time I started, Imperials... because it was closer.

Faction. First time, I became the dean of Winterhold, but also was a Werewolf... second time, I didn't bother with any of them...

Light or Heavy armor: First one, I was working on making dwarven armor... so I think that's heavy... second one, I never really started making armor, but think I was going medium...

Highest level: No idea on either... my first one was really pretty far along... I was putting off the "main story" quests as long as I could...

100% mage? No, I was the stereotypical start off thinking I'm going to be doing one thing, then always end up with a high sneak and archery skill...

Every location: No, but I had most of it unlocked on that first one... I'd go anywhere that looked like I hadn't been there yet... but I'm sure there were a lot hidden or whatever...

Oh yeah... Also, always went with Nord for the race... thought about the others, but never did... maybe one day...

• Like 1

It seems the Imperials and the Stormcloaks are both jerks in their own way, although after digging around a bit (reading messages, tomes and talking to people) it seems in my opinion that supporting the Stormcloaks may benefit the Thalmor in the long run.

I usually play a thief or a one-handed/shield type.

As much as people like Morrowind I'd actually prefer if they remade Oblivion to look like this.....or better yet just make the damn sequel already!

As much as people like Morrowind I'd actually prefer if they remade Oblivion to look like this.....or better yet just make the damn sequel already!

You can mod Oblivion to look more like Skyrim https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/47591/

Personally, I wish someone would "demake" the engine used by Elder Scrolls Online (Hero Engine) so it runs on mobile -- just so I could play Star Wars The Old Republic on the go.

• Like 1

You can mod Oblivion to look more like Skyrim https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/47591/

Personally, I wish someone would "demake" the engine used by Elder Scrolls Online (Hero Engine) so it runs on mobile -- just so I could play Star Wars The Old Republic on the go.

Damn that's come a long way looks great, at some point i'll have to try this mod out

Imperials or Stormcloaks? I always tend to go Imperial because they seem to tolerate non-human races better than the Stormcloaks.

Do you join a faction? Thieves Guild, College of Winterhold the Brotherhood? Do you join all of them? I usually do Brotherhood, but that's because I like killing the person at the beginning that starts the chain. (trying not to spoil the quest)

Light or Heavy armor? Depends on how I feel on the character I'm playing- sometimes it's a 'light armor, use arrows' toon, or sometimes it's a 'heavy armor, bludgeon things' toon.

Do you smith? (You should) - I always start out trying but get bored.

Highest level you ever got? 30....ish? I think it's somewhere around there.

All trophies\achievements? Oh heck no, lol. I don't know that I'll ever finish the game, either, lol.

Anyone enjoy(ed) playing 100% Mage? I never did full mage, just hybrid (usually with a rogue-type toon)

Has anyone ever completely unlocked every location on the map? Nooooo.

• Like 1

Imperials or Stormcloaks? Why? Imperials for a similar reason that digdugnate gave.

Do you join a fanction? Thieves Guild, College of Winterhold the Brotherhood? Do you join all of them? I joined all of them.
Light or Heavy armor? Do you smith? (You should) Heavy armor generally. I mostly used light armor to level up, but dang... I wish I had a set of Dragon Bone Armor with multiple enchantments. Deadric armor looks pretty cool.
Highest level you ever got? All trophies\achievements? At the moment, I am at level 72. Never got that high in previous play throughs.
Anyone enjoy(ed) playing 100% Mage? I haven't tried this, though if you level up enough, your character can be pretty effective with magic and the blade. Actually, this time around, I have preferred sneaking around and taking things out with the bow.
To expand on my comment about enchanting. Once it is fully leveled up, you can apply two enchantments per item. Also, reduce x magic by 25% can be applied to four items (helmet, armor, ring, necklace), so you can pick two magic classes to cost zero magic points for any spell. Some of the spells don't necessary require a target to work on, but that is one reason why destruction magic can level up slowly. Still you have choices. You can make armor where any destruction and conjuration spell costs zero magic points. Use the high level spells, and you can see where I am going. Also, since it is really, really hard to kill Shadowmere, that poor horse has suffered at my characters hands quite a bit. (That horse is not quite as immortal as you might think... immortal when fighting others, but a long fall or too many incinerate spells... and you are left with a pile of horse meat.
  • Like 1

Imperials or Stormcloaks? Why? Stormcloaks. This land belongs to the nords and not imperial scum elves.
Do you join a fanction? Thieves Guild, College of Winterhold the Brotherhood? Do you join all of them? Joined all. Yes there seems to be some conflict of interest, but the quest for most of them were good. Always join Dark Brotherhood.
Light or Heavy armor? Do you smith? (You should) Ive always went heavy unless I needed stealth. There is some really decent light armor in the game. Best looking set though might be from the Snow Elves
Anyone enjoy(ed) playing 100% Mage? No, I'm a simple guy. Hack , slash and Fus Ro Dah
Has anyone ever completely unlocked every location on the map? As much as I've played this game since it came out I don't think I've ever done that, then again I've swapped between console and PC etc No idea

• Like 1

Skyrim was the last es game I played and semi enjoyed. Not as much as oblivion though. When they took out degrading armor and weapons I think they took just to much out of the series. That and the enemy leveling, it simply kept you at not good enough which just made the game discouraging to play.

Don't even get me started on the online games, I had high hopes of it being done right, and was created by the same evercrap formula I played 20 years earlier and didn't care for.

When's the next ES standalone coming out? And what will be taken away this time?

As much as I adored Oblivion I actually didn't like the leveling in that game. On one playthrough I rushed towards Oblivion and the endgame at really low level. Easy. Another time, remember being level 35 or higher, with daedric armor and weapons maxed out walking out of an inn and be killed by a freaking bandit. icon_woozy.gif

Elder Scrolls Online is kind of popular they're making more expansions to it, I think some elf thing forget the name of it, is coming out soon

My memories of Skyrim are mostly positive ones. I've played on both the Xbox 360 and Xbox One, usually a Nord or Khajitt (Khajit?) Kat...) and did make several attempts at Mage only play but ended up back with a shield and blade. Then worked on getting one of the legendary weapons such as Dawnblade. Loved that sword. So at this point, I'm looking for the game again for my Xbox 360. It was, and in my opinion still is, a great open-world game.

I really never joined a faction other than the College of Winterhold when playing a Mage. Most times I free lanced all over the place, dungeon exploring and doing side quests. It's SO EASY to get distracted in this game....

My memories of Skyrim are mostly positive ones. I've played on both the Xbox 360 and Xbox One, usually a Nord or Khajitt (Khajit?) Kat...) and did make several attempts at Mage only play but ended up back with a shield and blade. Then worked on getting one of the legendary weapons such as Dawnblade. Loved that sword. So at this point, I'm looking for the game again for my Xbox 360. It was, and in my opinion still is, a great open-world game.

I really never joined a faction other than the College of Winterhold when playing a Mage. Most times I free lanced all over the place, dungeon exploring and doing side quests. It's SO EASY to get distracted in this game....

I started it on the PS3, but never got much beyond the main quest and gave up with all of the bugs it had. I guess it was eventually fixed on the PS3, but I had moved onto the Xbox 360 version. I played much more, but never finished the DLC. Then there was a steam sale, and I got it there as I had a computer that could run it at the time. Got distracted with mods.

Then was away from it for awhile as I went through games like Fallout 4, Persona 5, and various games. Then got it for the Xbox One and started up again with the special edition. Mid way through, I upgraded to an Xbox One X. I know there are computers that can do better, but that was a big upgrade. I know it is an older game now, but with all of the effort that was put into the style, it still can be easy on the eyes. I still find things I never found in the other plays throughs.

I have put it away for a bit. My daughter is begging to play it. She is old enough now where it is probably okay, and might as well while Horizon Zero Down is taking my time.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the bugs are in every version in a massive way. I enjoyed my time with it, but basically just did the story. Did not side with either Imperials or Stormcloaks and only joined the mages college. I stayed with light armor pretty much the entire time.

My wife has thousands of hours on the PC and 360. She knows all the bugs that break the quests and knows when to reload. That knowledge has basically just kept me from putting more time in. On my longest playthrough the Elder Scrolls quest bugged and couldn't be finished - blah.

I really preferred some things about Oblivion. I liked that magic had It's own button mapped so I could quick cast without putting something away. This got replaced with the shouts which I frankly forgot about most of the time. Overall I just felt like there was too much time spent going into the quick inventory screen.

Still liked it though. And yes - enchanting stuff was a highlight for sure.

A buddy of mine who spent a ton of time with both IV and V thinks you can't really 100% mage. I think he's probably right unless you like running away and reloading while waiting for lucky breaks early in the game.

• Like 1

Imperials or Stormcloaks? Why? Imperial, I didn't like the way the Nords treated the Khajiit forcing them to live outside the cities.

Do you join a fanction? Thieves Guild, College of Winterhold the Brotherhood? Do you join all of them? Joined them all

Light or Heavy armor? Do you smith? Light Armor, I didn't smith, but I was an alchemist.

Highest level you ever got? All trophies\achievements? LeveI 51
  • Like 1

This got replaced with the shouts which I frankly forgot about most of the time. Overall I just felt like there was too much time spent going into the quick inventory screen.

I hate this about the game and other games out there that require you to constantly go into inventory screens, especially the way magic works. It's nice that they have a favorites menu but you still have to cycle through it etc

I remember the first Batman game I think I spent the whole time in detective mode because that was the only way to find stuff laying around, if the game was 10 hours long I think I only saw about 1 hours worth of graphics and the rest of it was in detective mode

detective-mode-arkham1.jpg

• Like 2

/\/\ Exactly. And there weren't customizable equipment presets either. The old "wheel" system from Oblivion kept you out of the inventory better.

And yes on the detective mode thing. I had to make myself switch out periodically just to see the actual game.

• Like 1