IGNORED

Updated 4k Support?

godslabrat

What's a 1440p monitor? Is that a common resolution?

For computer monitors it is. The price point for these monitors fall between a 1080p monitor and a 4k/uhd/2160p monitor. I don't think there are any televisions with that resolution though.

• Like 2

I think it is still quite common for computer monitors, especially gaming ones as they can go up to pretty high refresh rates. Are there 4K monitors that go above 60 mhz? Maybe so, but they would probably be more expensive.

It is also a nice sweet spot resolution for monitors that are around 27-28 inches; we have some of these at work for image processing, and the extra desktop space is nice.

As for the Xbox One S, I think the games are upscaled to 4K, but it does not render them at 4K.

I think it is still quite common for computer monitors, especially gaming ones as they can go up to pretty high refresh rates. Are there 4K monitors that go above 60 mhz? Maybe so, but they would probably be more expensive.

It is also a nice sweet spot resolution for monitors that are around 27-28 inches; we have some of these at work for image processing, and the extra desktop space is nice.

As for the Xbox One S, I think the games are upscaled to 4K, but it does not render them at 4K.

Yeah, I've got a 4k tv, so I actually could make use of the X model. Unless somehow they squeeze 4k rendering out of the S, and I'm not sure what the motivation to do that would be.

Well, it might up convert images to 4k, or even let you play 4k movies, but I doubt you'll get the extra goodies, higher definition textures, etc, as the system would still need to process that.

If given the option I would NOT be DL ing all that HD crap, not on my I internet anyways.

Yeah, I've got a 4k tv, so I actually could make use of the X model. Unless somehow they squeeze 4k rendering out of the S, and I'm not sure what the motivation to do that would be.

A couple of games are actually already in 4K on the S, but there's just no way it will have the processing to do the majority of what the X does with 4K content. Really the S's 4K is meant for video, not gaming. I don't think there's anything they could do to change that.

• Like 1

I'm in the process of getting a 4K disc player and seeing as the PS4 Pro isn't compatible with 4K discs, I'm looking at an Xbox One S or an Xbox One X. I don't even want to step inot the 4K Disc Player section... if there's a game system that does it, the other players are useless to me.

Anyway, now that I'm down to the S vs X decision, what should I get? I understand the price difference and power but being a PS4 player this generation (360 last gen) I don't really follow much in the Xbox realm this time around. There are some cool games I'm looking forward to that are Xbox exclusives but the main thing I want to do on the new Xbox is re-play Fallout 3 and New Vegas and pickup Fallout 4 (finished it on PS4... but play it again? Sure!). What my online reading has explained to me is it seems like they've upped the graphics for Fallout 3 and 4 for the X. That's cool but is it really just upgraded visuals? Or will there be better draw distances etc as well?

It's funny what a Star Wars release in 4K will do to me... but that's ok. I always look forward to a new system purchase. lol

• Like 1

I'm in the process of getting a 4K disc player and seeing as the PS4 Pro isn't compatible with 4K discs, I'm looking at an Xbox One S or an Xbox One X. I don't even want to step inot the 4K Disc Player section... if there's a game system that does it, the other players are useless to me.

Anyway, now that I'm down to the S vs X decision, what should I get? I understand the price difference and power but being a PS4 player this generation (360 last gen) I don't really follow much in the Xbox realm this time around. There are some cool games I'm looking forward to that are Xbox exclusives but the main thing I want to do on the new Xbox is re-play Fallout 3 and New Vegas and pickup Fallout 4 (finished it on PS4... but play it again? Sure!). What my online reading has explained to me is it seems like they've upped the graphics for Fallout 3 and 4 for the X. That's cool but is it really just upgraded visuals? Or will there be better draw distances etc as well?

It's funny what a Star Wars release in 4K will do to me... but that's ok. I always look forward to a new system purchase. lol

I'm in a similar quandary. What it seems like is, after you do all the thinking... there's no reason to get the X model if you don't have a 4K TV, and no reason (aside from price) to get the S model if you do.

• Like 1

If you can afford it, get the X. I get emails multiple times a week from Microsoft about a game that is enhanced for Xbox One X, including frame rate, draw distance, and other features. So you not only get better 4K HDR gaming, but also performance improvements. The S only gives HDR gaming on select games and few other improvements. If you don't plan to play games on your 4K TV, then the S is fine, since it plays 4K HDR discs and digital video just as well.

I'm quite happy with the X. It's incredibly small and quiet, especially considering how much power it packs. They really did trump the PS4 Pro with it (although I obviously like that system too).

• Like 3

I'm in a similar quandary. What it seems like is, after you do all the thinking... there's no reason to get the X model if you don't have a 4K TV, and no reason (aside from price) to get the S model if you do.

Well I did get the 4k tv earlier this year so it seems like it comes down to a matter of price... and right now the system come with my choice of game (Sea of Thieves or Far Cry 5 or some other options as well).

If you can afford it, get the X. I get emails multiple times a week from Microsoft about a game that is enhanced for Xbox One X, including frame rate, draw distance, and other features. So you not only get better 4K HDR gaming, but also performance improvements. The S only gives HDR gaming on select games and few other improvements. If you don't plan to play games on your 4K TV, then the S is fine, since it plays 4K HDR discs and digital video just as well.

I'm quite happy with the X. It's incredibly small and quiet, especially considering how much power it packs. They really did trump the PS4 Pro with it (although I obviously like that system too).

Actually the tv I bought is 90% gaming and 10% Netflix/dvds etc. So the X seems to be the one to get. I have a shelf in the entertainment centre and an HDMI port available for it so it seems like the way to go. Another bonus is that the X is black and will look nice with all the other systems in my centre. One of the early drawbacks for the S was the fact that it is white (I know it's petty but it was a small negative for me personally).

I was thinking about getting a PS4 pro but the lack of a 4K drive seems kind of bizarre but I still have my standard PS4 and the HDR support is pretty cool as it is.

Thanks for the input... I'm going to go with the Xbox One X then... Cup Head should be one of the first titles I get other than the 'pack in'. I always enjoy getting a new system! lol

• 2 weeks later...