IGNORED

Not my Atari VCS (that console formerly known as Ataribox)

Tidus79001

Reuse of the name Atari VCS for the upcoming console formerly know at Ataribox  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Reusing the name Atari VCS is a misappropriation of the name & leagacy of the original conosle

2. 2. The name Atari VCS for the new console formely known as Ataribox is an appropriate tribute honoring the lagacy of the original console

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I feel that the name Atari VCS should not be used for the still to be released console formerly known as Ataribox. That name belongs to the original Atari VCS later renamed/rebranded Atari 2600, and this new console should not try to steal the legacy of the original console, as this tarnishes the name of the original. The previous name Ataribox for the console was a better suited name and unique name. I have setup a poll to see what others think about the reuse of the Atari VCS name.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 1

You should double-check your spelling before hitting Post ;)

My 2c - calling the Ataribox the Atari VCS is pure and utter bullshit.

I can't even make sense of the 2nd question

The name Atari VCS for the new console formely now at Ataribox appropriate

Huh?

Yeah, that was a bit of a mess on my part, lol. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I have edited the second question on the poll so that it is properly worded for what I originally intended to ask.

It's hard to answer these questions because so little is known. If it looked to be an awesome product, then I'd be happier about the retro branding. Right now this is like a wagon rolling into town selling bottles of Atari VCS cure-all elixir.

• Like 1

I agree don't call it the VCS. VCS 2 or anything along that line is fine

The name Atari VCS 2 would be fine. I think that calling itself the just the Atari VCS is going to get it some backlash, and possibly hurt its sales. I hope someone from the new Atari company will will take note of this discussion & poll, and decide to give the new console it's own name & identity before it launches, so that it can create a legacy of its own.

I think that calling itself the just the Atari VCS is going to get it some backlash, and possibly hurt its sales.

It's not the name that's going to hurt its sales. It's the fact that, like the Coleco Chameleon, it is a solution with no known problem ... or a problem that exists only in someone's imagination.
  • Like 3

This is a long shot but... let's say this thing actually gets produced and released, and is sold at a fair price. Or gets discounted to $50 at big lots, whatever.

Now... what if someone creates a USB cart slot and side loads an emulator? Suddenly it becomes a better version of the Retron 77?

That's a crap ton of IFs, but I had to take a break from stating the obvious that this looks as likely as Michael Moore winning a decathalon.

I just did a quick search (so take that for what it's worth) but I don't believe "Atari VCS" was ever officially used back in the day. I was looking at CX2600 system manuals from before 1982 and they always spell out "Atari Video Computer System" and not "VCS". "VCS" looks to be an unofficial nick name of the original console. If that is the case them calling the new console "Atari VCS" technically isn't reusing an old name. Admittedly I could have missed something. Does anyone have any official (public not internal) literature from back in the day the utilizes "Atari VCS"?

• Like 1

Does any have any official (public not internal) literature from back in the day the utilizes "Atari VCS"?

I remember seeing the terms "VCS" and "Atari VCS" used in magazines. The other day, I was reading some ENTER Magazine game reviews from the 1983-1984 time frame which compared Centipede for the 2600 and 5200, and as I recall they used "Centipede for the VCS" to refer to the 2600 version.

• Like 2

I remember seeing the terms "VCS" and "Atari VCS" used in magazines. The other day, I was reading some ENTER Magazine game reviews from the 1983-1984 time frame which compared Centipede for the 2600 and 5200, and as I recall they used "Centipede for the VCS" to refer to the 2600 version.

But Atari proper at the time never actually used the term "VCS" officially...Is that correct?

What you stated would still just be an unofficial nick name of a know product.

I have a feeling that Atari BITD never officially trademarked the term "VCS" or even used the term "VCS" in any true official capacity. Which would explain why current Atari feels comfortable using the name "ATARI VCS".

I just did a quick search (so take that for what it's worth) but I don't believe "Atari VCS" was ever officially used back in the day. I was looking at CX2600 system manuals from before 1982 and they always spell out "Atari Video Computer System" and not "VCS". "VCS" looks to be an unofficial nick name of the original console. If that is the case them calling the new console "Atari VCS" technically isn't reusing an old name. Admittedly I could have missed something. Does anyone have any official (public not internal) literature from back in the day the utilizes "Atari VCS"?

That's possible. I'm thought it was used in ads though? Because everyone called it VCS until Atari decided it was the 2600.

I feel sorry for all getting excited about the ataribox thing or whatever.

"Atari execs told us there's no longer a set price or a promised release date for the console -- because many of its key pieces, like its AMD processor and customized Linux operating system, are still coming together."

Back in the 1970's the real Atari spec'd out a design and wired up the RIOT + 6507 in like 2 days. Then they made the TIA, which took several months more. Today's atari can't gestate a fart in under a month. And then it whizzles out..

---

For those looking for a cool set-top box, just get a gaming NUC from intel or some other small formfactor PC. You'll be playing recent games on it. And state-of-the-art games if you get Hades Canyon - shipping in 3 weeks from now.

You'll get all the classic PC games. You get all the classic consoles. You'll be able to play every Atari 8-bit computer game, and every classic VCS game. And every arcade game.

Anyways.. to celebrate the new VCS name I'm going to inject a wet & meaty gaseous expulsion into the couch cushion. If they hurry up and ship it it might still be there!!

• Like 1

But Atari proper at the time never actually used the term "VCS" officially...Is that correct?

What you stated would still just be an unofficial nick name of a know product.

I have a feeling that Atari BITD never officially trademarked the term "VCS" or even used the term "VCS" in any true official capacity. Which would explain why current Atari feels comfortable using the name "ATARI VCS".

You'll also see the term "VCS" used in technical documentation, like the 2600 Field Service Manual:

http://www.robotsandcomputers.com/computers/manuals/atari2600_fsm.pdf

(This might be considered "internal," although it was distributed and used outside the company. It also indicates that Atari did indeed trademark "Video Computer System," for which "VCS" is just an abbreviation.)

• Like 2

Here you go. No trademark on the "VCS" though.

post-42993-0-72020700-1521838986_thumb.jpg

post-42993-0-00347200-1521839000_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lord Innit
  • Like 6