IGNORED

Not my Atari VCS (that console formerly known as Ataribox)

Tidus79001

Reuse of the name Atari VCS for the upcoming console formerly know at Ataribox  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Reusing the name Atari VCS is a misappropriation of the name & leagacy of the original conosle

2. 2. The name Atari VCS for the new console formely known as Ataribox is an appropriate tribute honoring the lagacy of the original console

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

They wanted to make sure we are sure.

We called it the Atari. Actually never said 2600 till I got a jr. As there was never any other except in the flyers you get when buying games. Then I thought wow I got to watch out for these other 5200 7800 games so I don't buy the wrong ones for my 2600. I never had that chance as the only games ever seen in stores were 2600.

Absolutely, we played Atari.

And I am so glad I have a Tele-games video arcade so I do not become confused.

Edited by 5x7
  • Like 2

Well,

I hate to agree with godslabrat, toiletunes, Kosmic Stardust, OldSchool RetroGamer, BassGuitari, and Keatah...But I agree with godslabrat, toiletunes, Kosmic Stardust, OldSchool RetroGamer, BassGuitari, and Keatah!

Eh, that's a pretty good group of guys. :-D

• Like 3

Good point about too little being known. I think it is an indication it will reflect the retro technology with solid compatibility but it remains to be seen.

AtGames consoles including their portable Atari 2600 console with the classic console splash screen certainly qualify for having high compatibility and for selectively supporting vintage expansion methods.

How is this any different than ford naming a car mustang in '65,'77,'18 etc. Just because we are fond of one iteration over another does not mean that it is inappropriate for them to use the the name they own on any product they choose.

Lets give 'em a chance, maybe this will turn out as a new start for stale company. Besides the neonish logo is cool.

How is this any different than ford naming a car mustang in '65,'77,'18 etc. Just because we are fond of one iteration over another does not mean that it is inappropriate for them to use the the name they own on any product they choose.

Lets give 'em a chance, maybe this will turn out as a new start for stale company. Besides the neonish logo is cool.

Because FORD is one of the world's largest manufacturers, and it's clear that they have the resources and know-how to design, build, sell, and support a car platform. "Atari" hasn't the chops to even run a proper advertising campaign. "Give them a chance?" :lol:
  • Like 5

Well,

I hate to agree with godslabrat, toiletunes, Kosmic Stardust, OldSchool RetroGamer, BassGuitari, and Keatah...But I agree with godslabrat, toiletunes, Kosmic Stardust, OldSchool RetroGamer, BassGuitari, and Keatah!

Eh, that's a pretty good group of guys. :-D

I'd say let's add CPUWIZ and Flojomojo....

And you know what? IF ATARI was serious about this thing they should form a brain trust featuring these people. Put them on the payroll. Run decisions past them. Ask them for advice,...Hell ask them what to do next! Then it might be a success!

I also feel it is worth mentioning, that when it comes to posts that just bring a smile, every time I think about it...And an under the breath or even out loud laugh...I gotta go with calling this thing the Atari ShitShow... :lolblue:

Jesus! Talk about truth in advertising!

• Like 2

Because FORD is one of the world's largest manufacturers, and it's clear that they have the resources and know-how to design, build, sell, and support a car platform.

I dunno have you seen the 1980's to early 90's mustang? Money doesnt mean they always know what they are doing, they just have enough money to make it look like they know what they are doing

you can have a very well made product from a company who is tight on cash but has brains and a market, (some of the big names of today started just that way) but you can also have unlimited funds to make a shitbox (and it wont kill them to do so)

Atari SA has neither

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

I mean, you moaners didn't have a problem with NES mini or SNES mini, so what's the problem with Atari VCS? You're just a bunch of moaners.

And no, before you guys trying to defend this Nintendo shit, it is TOTALLY the same.

What the hell are you going about, stirring the pot as usual? If Nintendo decided to call their new emulation boxes the "Nintendo Entertainment System", instead of the NES Classic (you're wrong again: the "mini" name was tacked on by the media, not Nintendo) then people would be just as disgusted as they are with this flagrant use of the name VCS. But who cares, since the Nintendo products were awesome and this thing is a pipe dream.

Because FORD is one of the world's largest manufacturers, and it's clear that they have the resources and know-how to design, build, sell, and support a car platform. "Atari" hasn't the chops to even run a proper advertising campaign. "Give them a chance?" :lol:

Ever hear of a Ford Durango? In the early 80s they made them. Kinda a ranchero el camino kinda car/truck made on a fairmont futura platform.

Today it is a Dodge light Suv.

Today no one knows or cares.

To the vast majority of the target population for a modern console to have name recognition using the term vcs will only be recognizable to us old geeks and that is not near enough to make a modern system make zillions of dollars.

I dunno have you seen the 1980's to early 90's mustang? Money doesnt mean they always know what they are doing, they just have enough money to make it look like they know what they are doing

Of course, in the 1980s, the real Atari was releasing software and hardware. They had passed their peak, but they weren't a joke. I would say that by the early 1990s (Atari Jaguar era), they had just enough money to look like they knew what they were doing.

The truth will out.

• Like 1

I knew some people here will find some stupid excuses, that much was certain. ATARI VCS (the new version) rocks

Don't get me wrong with this post as I am excited about the Ataribox/Atari VCS, unlike it seems the majority of the people here on the forums. However it is not unjust for people to feel this way as the "new Atari" has not given much details yet on the console, and everything that they have told us so far is more of just a concept of what the console might be, and asking for people to crowd fund this venture. That being said I do plan on placing a pre-order once the time comes that they are offering pre-orders. I guess I just have never been able to resist any video game console that has the name Atari on it. Still I prefer the name Ataribox over Atari VSC for this new console, just saying.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 1

I agree the Ataribox name is better in my opinion. But rather than ragging on what we haven't seen, or our worst fears, i say lets see what ( if anything) materializes. As for crowdfunding anything short of a startup company, I am always skeptical. Often I get the vibe that it is merely an Avenue for marketing, given the actual costs of manufacturing a product.

Here's my thoughts on it.....

I'm not going to write it off completley. I'm not going to say it'll be a failure. We still don't know, I'd like to see this thing prove us all wrong and be a successful product......but......

For starters, we have yet to see a WORKING prototype of any sort, AMD custom CPU and Linux set-top box or not. So basically, we have a Intel Quark or Rasperry Pi jammed into a neo-2600 body for $245...nu uh. Nintendo Switch, XBOX, PS/blahblahblah all have ORIGINAL hardware designed to work with their ORIGINAL games.

For this to be worth it to me, ATARI would need to put in the R&D to create something NEW. IE, sure, have a AMD custom CPU, but maybe they could use a modern custom TIA and Stella chip?

Honestly, I always thought the best idea for Atari would be to stick to their nostalgia thing and follow the reissue guitar method for consoles....

ie.77' Atari 2600 Heavy Sixer Reissue, 78' Light Sixer Reissue, 80' $-switch Woody Reissue, 83' Vader Reissue, and a 85' Jr. Reissue for a reduced cost. $50-80 per console. So you have the tru unique experience. Maybe even a Atari 2600 American Standard version or something - like a modern version with a clear front panel that lights up when it's on or something.

Then reissue the cartridges with new unique art and glob tops so as NOT to confuse the vintage game community, for a dollar or so each.

If they want to support Indie Gamers? Maybe act as a distribution service. Put things like SCSIside and Halo 2600 on official distribution per mentioned. Maybe encourage Indie developers to send in their BATARI BASIC creations and maybe a small group of brainiacs to make new titles under their own label.

Just a revamped version of the shaver and razors model that Nolan started with - and you get to pick your console to match what aesthetic you want. Heck, they could just make a new modern SMD based version of the 2600 VCS that's actually 100% compatible, sell it for $50, put some games on ROM, and include a cartridge slot and that'd be a good idea too.

Of course, all I mentioned here would be niche market things like collecting Records or LaserDisc and not be competing with a new console.

If they really want to compete with XBOX/PS/Switch - they would need to R&D a whole new console. Sure, they could offer "Flashback" as a service or a software install, and the new console would need to show a MODERN spirit of Atari, not a rehash to a bygone era or a hobbyist niche era, but something to get the KIDS excited, to make them ask for it for christmas. That means they would need a good game with a good mascot as a exclusive pack-in, and sorry, a bunch of STEAM titles that run on my PC just fine ala Five Nights at Freddy's is not enough to justify $250.00 for a console when I can spent $5 for the same experience.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

VCS was the first name. Said so on the unit and on the box and their early catalogs. It it trademarked also. The 2600 name came later, especially when they needed differentiation from the 5200 and 7800. And when they were changing style and getting into numbers for names for their consoles.

attachicon.gifAtari_CO12737-02_1.jpg

attachicon.gifAtari_CO12737-02_2.jpgattachicon.gifAtari_CO12737-02_3.jpg

Boy how 20 cartridges back then turned into almost 1000 (am I right!?) cartridges, if you include all the original third party titles (I believe it was almost 300 games at the time) from all those companies, plus the hacks, prototype reproductions, and the massive homebrew market which (thanks to all of us who put 'em out and to those like us who play 'em) has exploded over the past 10-15 years...... amazing!!!

As for the name "VCS", I believe Atari DID (eventually) trademark it back in like 1983-84 after realizing that practically every videogaming magazine (like Electronic Games, a.k.a. "EG", in which I loyally subscribed to and read from May 1982 until its end in mid-1985) had used it to describe its product in short form to conserve article space for a more complete review of a game for it.

Edited by BIGHMW

VCS was the first name. Said so on the unit and on the box and their early catalogs. It it trademarked also. The 2600 name came later, especially when they needed differentiation from the 5200 and 7800. And when they were changing style and getting into numbers for names for their consoles.

attachicon.gifAtari_CO12737-02_1.jpg

attachicon.gifAtari_CO12737-02_2.jpgattachicon.gifAtari_CO12737-02_3.jpg

Boy how 20 cartridges back then turned into almost 1000 (am I right!?) cartridges, if you include all the original third party titles (I believe it was almost 300 games at the time) from all those companies, plus the hacks, prototype reproductions, and the massive homebrew market which (thanks to all of us who put 'em out and to those like us who play 'em) has exploded over the past 10-15 years...... amazing!!!

As for the name "VCS", I believe Atari DID (eventually) trademark it back in like 1983-84 after realizing that practically every videogaming magazine (like Electronic Games, a.k.a. "EG", in which I loyally subscribed to and read from May 1982 until its end in mid-1985) had used it to describe its product in short form to conserve article space for a more complete review of a game for it.

Before you can ask this question you must first clarify what you consider to be "real Atari."

Bushnell / Dabney Atari

Warner Communications Atari

Tramiel Atari

Hasbro Atari

Infogrames Atari

Where does "real" Atari begin and end? Because honestly one could make the argument that "real" Atari is only Bushnell / Dabney, and nothing else.

My main issue with the "Atari VCS" name is that if (coughs) this system turns out to be a money-gimmicky flop, it will hurt the name. I wouldn't mind hearing people laughing at "that AtariBox thing" if it's a complete joke of a gaming system, but when I talk about the Atari VCS, I want people to know what I mean without a footnote. Which almost makes me want to call it the Atari VCS*, with an asterisk. Almost.

* not the original Atari "2600" VCS from 1977, but the worthless overpriced modern system of the same name

Edited by JeremiahK
  • Like 1

My main issue with the "Atari VCS" name is that if (coughs) this system turns out to be a money-gimmicky flop, it will hurt the name. I wouldn't mind hearing people laughing at "that AtariBox thing" if it's a complete joke of a gaming system, but when I talk about the Atari VCS, I want people to know what I mean without a footnote. Which almost makes me want to call it the Atari VCS*, with an asterisk. Almost.

* not the original Atari "2600" VCS from 1977, but the worthless overpriced modern system of the same name

I'm pretty sure the "will hurt the Atari name" ship sailed a long time ago.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad someone else feels the same way about usurping the Atari 2600 VCS Legacy and using it for the Ataribox (how it will always be known to me). I don't care whether it was trademarked or not... it's not the point. They are trying to feed off the retro gamers who know the 2600 was also called the VCS. The hollow Atari that is now has nothing to do with the Atari of the past.

But as stated earlier, it's what millennials do, they take everything we hold dear from the past and systematically destroy them... look st Star Wars, Marvel comics, and Lost In Space... but, I digress...

I was actually interested in seeing where Ataribox was going until this name change, now I know...

• Like 3