IGNORED

Recommended 3DS Games?

simbalion

Since my old DS sort of bit the dust, I finally decided to upgrade to a basic Nintendo 3DS. Actually, the local mall Game Stop had a deal going where you could get two pre-owned games with a pre-owned system for far cheaper than a brand new system, so I went for it. Got Super Mario 3D World and Mario Tennis Open since I liked them and they were within the $20 and below limit. Of course, the fact that the 3DS is supposed to also play DS games was a big push for me, along with it being out just long enough that I can save a little cash by looking for some titles on resale.

Now, what are some recommended games for this system? I am already looking at getting Smash Brothers and Super Mario Maker (Builder?) soon. So far, I am liking this system as well and am wondering why it took me so long to get one. I think all the hype towards darker games and the systems like Playstation and X-box sort of turned me off towards modern games for a while.

I thought Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds was a fantastic game; it's very similar to Link to the Past but has some really engaging elements. I've also been playing the Puzzles&Dragons/Super Mario: Puzzles&Dragons cart lately but it can be a bit grindy.

You mentioned Mario Maker already, my son and I both have copies and we try to make levels to stymie the other. New Super Mario Bros. 2 is pretty cool, too.

If 'retro' stuff is your thing (and you don't mind rebuying stuff if you happen to own it on a different console), the SNES games are available via Virtual Console in the shop.

My wife is partial to the Professor Layton-style games and Animal Crossing.

I'll second The Legend of Zelda: a Link between Worlds. If you enjoyed Link to the Past or any if the overhead Zeldas, this should be mandatory playing. Easily the best Zelda since Link to the Past, in my opinion.

I actually love Resident Evil: the Mercenaries 3D. But if you don't like the newer REs' gameplay or the Mercenaries minigame, don't bother with this.

Metroid: Samus Returns is solid if you like Metroid. Not the best in the series, but well worth playing.

That's all that I can truly recommend on the 3DS. Overall I haven't been blown away by it, though it is nice for the virtual console and the DS backwards compatibility.

• Like 1

3DS has a pretty large library both physically and digitally. There are quite a few rock solid titles in there too!

As already mentioned, they have a good variety on Virtual Console, so be sure to check that out! (SNES has a great lineup, and they have several of the older Pokemon games if that is your thing.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Nintendo_3DS_(North_America)

I'll go ahead and third The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds

Among the ports/remakes, I can suggest...

Both Legend of Zeldas (Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time)
Donkey Kong Country Returns (excellent port of excellent game)

Star Fox 64 3D (I just like Star Fox 64...)

Trying to find some exclusives that haven't been mentioned...

Pokemon Sun/Moon (if you want more recent) or there is X / Y (if you want a bit cheaper)

Bravely Default (excellent old style JRPG)

Bravely Second (if you beat the first one and want more)

Fire Emblem Awakening (if you like tactical RPGs, has easier modes than previous games and can disable permadeath!)

Animal Crossing New Leaf (if you want a play by day life simulatorish thing)

Theatrhythem Final Fantasy Curtain Call (If you like Final Fantasy music and rhythm games, it's the sequel but better/larger song selection!)

Mario Kart 7 (good if you want Mario Kart and don't have a Switch... if you have a Switch, stick to 8)

You've already got a couple Marios so you're good there~

There's quite a few titles on the 3DS, so it's hard to fully encompass everything you can get on it... Also I've mostly stuck with RPGs. :lol:

Mario Golf is oddly my favorite game on the system.

The single player adventure plays about like the rest of the recent mario golfs. Multiplayer is asynchronous tourneys, and really adds to the game. It plays a bit like trackmania in that there are a lot of simultaneous 'ghost shots' from other players.

IIRC there was some streetpassing with it too.

I got rid of quite a bit of stuff, but there were games I felt that merited keeping around to probably play again some time, and a select few I got gaming burnout and just never finished or got close either which I'll list as the last two.

Adventure Time (the Garbage king one, Zelda 2 clone), Castlevania, Code of Princess, Kid Icarus, Pinball Hall of Fame, Star Fox 64 3DS, Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX, Tales of the Abyss, Super Mario 3D Land, and Mario&Luigi with Metroid Samus Returns.

They're all pretty solid options for games with some staying power and fun involved with them.

I got Super Mario Maker and Super Smash Brothers today. Unfortunately, I had to run back into town as both refused to work without an SD card! Found a 16GB card at a drug store close to home. I admit, things were getting a bit tense as then, Super Mario Maker demanded I do an update to my 3DS! Luckily, it appears the game comes with the update, so I didn't have to head to McDonald's or somewhere to get decent broadband.

So far, my main complaint with the 3DS is the battery life. It's just as bad as the Switch as I have it set up right now. Once it charges again, I'll try it on the battery saver mode. Either the 3DS is way harder on it's battery than the DS was, or my used unit has a weak battery in it.

I got Super Mario Maker and Super Smash Brothers today. Unfortunately, I had to run back into town as both refused to work without an SD card! Found a 16GB card at a drug store close to home. I admit, things were getting a bit tense as then, Super Mario Maker demanded I do an update to my 3DS! Luckily, it appears the game comes with the update, so I didn't have to head to McDonald's or somewhere to get decent broadband.

So far, my main complaint with the 3DS is the battery life. It's just as bad as the Switch as I have it set up right now. Once it charges again, I'll try it on the battery saver mode. Either the 3DS is way harder on it's battery than the DS was, or my used unit has a weak battery in it.

I don't follow, or do I? You bought one used, and it didn't come with all the stuff it was supposed to then? Nintendo 3DS comes with a MicroSD card with it out of the box that's 2GB, the New3DS had a 4GB card with it as have other revisions since the original. I'm kind of surprised both those games wouldn't run without a memory card and not at the same time. The system other than internal for firmware updates has no storage of its own, the games save directly to themselves, while any 1.01 and higher game updates do require the micro sd card.

If you're not going to get into being a physical game neglector and just download stuff that 16GB should last you for as long as you likely could care to use the thing. Even if you did download a lot of VC games they're all tiny compared to digital versions of 3DS stuff.

The battery of the 3DS is 3-5 hours 6-8 for DS games on it. So no, you're right, it's hungry like the Switch. You can in the menu set a power saving mode that'll bring it up a little, also running a 3 (of 5) brightness level isn't much of a loss and adds more. Disable the wifi if you're not using it, it keeps pinging which chomps the battery too.

This version of the 3DS I have uses a regular SD card, not a micro-SD card. Might be possible these earlier 3DS units didn't ship with an SD card?

Super Mario Maker did install an update to my 3DS, but it did that right into the system itself, THEN asked for the SD card when I tried to play. It seems it saves certain extras to the SD card, mostly for online or wireless gaming with other players. The same thing for Super Smash Brothers. Really, I think that is all Super Smash brothers uses the SD card for, but neither game would play without it. A warning screen would come up about there being no SD card telling me to either install one or go back to the home screen.

I did all the things said to try and help the battery last a little longer. Read that shutting off the 3D also helps. I must admit, it seems the more sleek we are making these game systems, the worse the battery life is getting to be. I guess there was a reason for the bulkiness of older battery types. More juice to give!

This version of the 3DS I have uses a regular SD card, not a micro-SD card. Might be possible these earlier 3DS units didn't ship with an SD card?

If it uses a regular SD, then you have the old model 3DS and yes they came with a 2gig SD card included. But you mentioned you got it pre-owned so that might explain it.

The "New" 3DS with improved head tracking 3D, better screen, and analog C stick, comes with a 4gig micro-SD

Damn should have been clearer because I forgot that part. All the revisions of it after the original went to the micro sized card, but they never shipped one without because it's needed for game revision/fix updates and downloaded games.

I think the bulkiness of the old batteries had nothing to do with extended life but the limits of battery tech at the time. I mean look at the size of the battery in an iphone 8plus, tiny and thin, but you can run that thing all day running something intensive like pokemon go or a GPS tool that uses the visuals, audio, consistent location finding and gps tracking, live updates on the fly and it will last like all day. I think it's with Nintendo coming down to cost as much as battery life expectancy. They probably could put an iphone level battery life to it, but they probably wouldn't like selling a $300-400 handheld to make up for it.

Since my old DS sort of bit the dust, I finally decided to upgrade to a basic Nintendo 3DS. Actually, the local mall Game Stop had a deal going where you could get two pre-owned games with a pre-owned system for far cheaper than a brand new system, so I went for it. Got Super Mario 3D World and Mario Tennis Open since I liked them and they were within the $20 and below limit. Of course, the fact that the 3DS is supposed to also play DS games was a big push for me, along with it being out just long enough that I can save a little cash by looking for some titles on resale.

Now, what are some recommended games for this system? I am already looking at getting Smash Brothers and Super Mario Maker (Builder?) soon. So far, I am liking this system as well and am wondering why it took me so long to get one. I think all the hype towards darker games and the systems like Playstation and X-box sort of turned me off towards modern games for a while.

Zelda Link between 2 worlds , Zelda Ocarina, New Super Mario, Mario 3d, any monster HUnter

if you don't have a Wii U, I would highly recommend Yoshi's Wooly World. It's was probably my second favorite Wii U game, and it was ported to the 3DS last year. While I would prefer to play it on a home console rather than a portable console, if you don't have the home option, I still think it would be a lot of fun. It's basically the same game play as Yoshi's Island (which is one of my favorite SNES games), but there is no crying baby. ;)

I ALMOST bought a Wii U when Super Mario Maker came out, but wasn't into getting another console at the time. Personally, I think the Switch will serve as my main, modern console for now. :) Still, there's a lot of games interesting me on the 3DS and Super Mario Maker for it has become a bit of an addiction to me. :)

I picked up a New 3DS XL last fall, and it's a great handheld. Since picking up my Switch, it's been hanging out in its case, but I'll revisit it soon.

So far, I recommend the following:

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: It's really great, especially if you played A Link to the Past back in the day. The merging into the wall gimmick is cool and makes some aspects of puzzle solving a lot of fun.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: It's every bit as good as the N64/GC versions, if not better. Seems like they cleaned up the graphics a bit, and it looks fantastic!

Shantae and the Pirates' Curse: If you like 2D MetroidVania games, this is a must own. Gameplay, graphics, and music are all great, and the game is genuinely funny.

Shovel Knight: While I haven't played the 3DS version, I have played through the game on the PS3. Everything I said about Shantae above also applies. This is one of my favorite games in recent memory.

Add to that the fact that it plays DS titles, and it's a great little system!

Shovel Knight: While I haven't played the 3DS version, I have played through the game on the PS3. Everything I said about Shantae above also applies. This is one of my favorite games in recent memory.

Highly recommend Shovel Knight for every gaming device you can. Amazing game in every regard! (I think I own it in like 5+ different ways now.)

However, I quoted this post for a reason. I love Shovel Knight, but the physical copy of it only contains the original campaign (now titled Shovel of Hope) and the first DLC campaign, Plague of Shadows. There's currently a third one called Specter of Torment and a final one that's not out yet called King of Cards.

It's a free update for the physical version of the game, but I wanted to make a note since simbalion mentioned a preference of physical and not having access to Internet at home.

A few weeks back, I picked up a new 2DS XL Pikachu edition and haven't looked back since. This is my favorite portable system thus far. The Switch isn't an option at the moment, so with all the games on the 3DS system, you really can't go wrong. The library is huge for all manner of gaming types. I recommend:

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Metroid: Samus Returns

Pokemon Ultra Sun

Miitopia

A small portion of the games I love, but this is a good start. Oh yeah, The RPG's from Mario and Luigi are awesome as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, in addition to the obvious ones:

Steamworld Dig

Legend of the Dark Witch

Millennial Girl

Brave Dungeon

Gunman Clive

PersonaQ

Pretty much any Pokemon game that has a color or element in It's name

I'm currently playing Stella Glow, which I like a lot, but there are some really long battles, and if you die you have to start over, so you really have to think it through.

I have no problem with the battery life on my not New 3Ds. It's surprisingly good.

• 3 weeks later...

So many good games to choose from, though if I can only recommend a couple:

Legend of Zelda: Link Between World's

Mario Kart 7

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (the main reason I got a 3DS initially.)

Donkey Kong Country Returns

• 3 weeks later...

For me, my 3DS was used for very little outside of the occasional DS game, with two exceptions: Puzzle and Dragons Z, and the 3D Genesis games (particularly Streets of Rage 2). If you like the 3D aspect, I highly recommend the Genesis games like Streets of Rage, Afterburner, Cruisin', etc.

Hey since I last posted I want to add I can't recommend enough Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon. I stumbled upon 'sun' a couple weeks or so back and it was cheap enough I went for it. The game continues to surprise me for feeling like a normal JRPG with an actual story and point to it all other than a hollow badge quest rerun and slow grinding catching and leveling them all that is played out after two decades. I'd suggest checking into it. The game has a persistent story that motivates you by how it goes to keep going. It has some new additions on how you can come across skill updates, HMs are gone retaining only reusable TMs, Z-crystals for extra damage attacks, and nasty harder totem pokemon to name a few things.