IGNORED

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream

Thanks so much iesposta, and thanks for providing the inspiration via your post in the forums.

It is definitely interesting that the 2600 port had such an impact that the name of the enemies in the game changed. I guess it makes sense when you compare the 350,000 cabinets sold to the 7,000,000 Atari 2600 carts that sold, that's a huge number!

Great Pac-Man show!

Funny how the terrible Atari Pac-Man changed millions of minds that the Monsters were ghosts.

I believe it is because “a ghost is transparent and invisible sometimes” describes what is in Atari’s version!

Boo! Scared you!

Indeed. One of them even rips his sheet on a nail, during an intermission. The 1981 pac man flyer actually refers to them both as "ghost monsters" and "monsters".

BITD we called them ghosts, well before the 2600 release. Seemed kinda obvious, but I guess we were ahead of the curve.

• Like 1

I always referred to them as Ghost Monsters as well.

Midway, agreed...

At least per their official flyer, © 1980, when identifying them on the screen and in the introductory paragraph:

post-18-0-40566700-1544147420_thumb.jpg

That well precedes the cartoon and Atari's port(s).

I like how they refer to what we commonly call intermissions in the game as "cartoon shows" and (a group of) maze boards are "racks".

• Like 2

You needed to be good enough to put the 2nd intermission with the rip and glance at the pink foot, with the 3rd intermission of that pink monster glob with eyes carrying his ghost costume!

But I agree also with others about calling them ghosts. “Ghost” is what they’re wearing.

I even Google Translated the Japanese Puck-Man (which the TWITCH Chat flagged as possibly offensive language needing moderator review) and the Japanese arcade glass also says monster.

post-29575-0-46025800-1544155796.jpeg

If you wish to argue:

post-29575-0-78681800-1544155696.jpeg

Not really sure why you're assuming people will be arguing, and need to be preemptively told to calm down. Do Thomas, Trebor, or I have a history of flying off at the handle at anyone?

Yes, your bezel says monsutā. Monster is the broader category, of which a ghost is a member. They aren't exclusionary. Namco used the anglicized word for monster, but native words that are translated as "monster" (e.g. "yōkai") are routinely used to refer to ghosts, demons, goblins, etc.

So you didn't think they looked at all like ghosts, until the 2600 game came out and put the idea in your head? Honestly, I think the story is mostly apocryphal.

Not really sure why you're assuming people will be arguing...

You took my post completely wrong.

Sorry for any confusion! No disrespect was intended.

RevEng, we have worked together on my games, I was never argumentative.

I just stated information that the 2nd and 3rd Pac-Man game intermissions show the player that the enemy is wearing a costume. Many never having played the arcade to Intermission 3 may not know that.

On the Twitch Stream show we covered younger people may not know the arcade enemy A.I. behaviors were different between enemies, and one fact adding to Pac-Man’s popularity was a 1980 arcade game in color, when many 1979 popular games were still black and white, despite consumer color televisions in the 50’s 60’s & 70’s.

I then agree that the description “ghost” is okay.

I shared a picture I made long ago because it goes with the English arcade picture I posted previously (which was humorous and informative).

I shared something funny about the Twitch show where the chat software flagged the word Puck, (about the designers needing to change that word for English)...

I thought the part about arguing would be taken as funny because “words in a box” are usually humorous on the Internet.

Edited by iesposta

@James: Any chance for earlier shows like we had them before? It is much more fun to watch live and participate. :)

+1 for earlier shows now and then. I do watch the recordings on youtube, but nothing beats watching in real time and adding something to the discussion.

Of course I realize that there is a big time difference with Europe (9 hours between PST and CET)

• Like 2

Heya Thomas and Dionoid! We're definitely going to try for earlier shows every time we can. We usually have every second Friday be an early show with Darcy but he's been busy this month. Aerlan's schedule will be changing in the new year so I'll try to work with that to make our Wednesday day show an early one because I know we have a lot of viewers in Europe that aren't able to see our later shows. Stay tuned!! :-)

@James: Any chance for earlier shows like we had them before? It is much more fun to watch live and participate. icon_smile.gif

+1 for earlier shows now and then. I do watch the recordings on youtube, but nothing beats watching in real time and adding something to the discussion.

Of course I realize that there is a big time difference with Europe (9 hours between PST and CET)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just watched your last show of the year, looks like y'all had fun! Noticed a bit of audio clipping on Darcy during loud screams/laughter, something you may wish to look into for future shows.

The issue iesposta brought up with Stay Frosty 2 was not limited to Heavy Sixers, it also occurred on Light Sixers like mine. Same problem also occurs with the game River Raid II. It's covered in this topic. A simple fix to the console is covered in this reply by Al, which also fixes the problem with River Raid II.

Do note the simple fix can cause RF interference, which should not be an issue with your modified console. If you do experience interference then use a ferrite bead to create the bridge.

The issue with the snowman not always making it across the gaps on level 7 (the tree) is due to how the base of the snowman works - when he's slightly melted his base is 8 pixels across and can slide across an 8 pixel gap with a slight "bump". When he's full sized the base is only 6 pixels across, so he always drops down into 8 pixel gaps

• Like 1

Thanks so much Darrell for the link! I will try out both Stay Frosty 2 and Toyshop Trouble on another system to make sure the carts are okay and it's the problem stated in the thread.

UPDATE: Just tried Stay Frosty 2 and also Toyshop Trouble and they both worked perfectly on my Atari 2600 Jr. :-) Yay, I don't need to exchange them! Thanks Darrell!!

Near the end of the thread Al starts offering to swap carts for fixed ones but never outright states that there was a fix. I'm assuming there wasn't a software fix/workaround ever found for the issue?

This also may point to an issue that I've been having while doing some beta testing for the 2600 Uno Cart! I've experienced the same symptoms of the cart working fine on an Atari Jr. but not on my modded light sixer. I'll run the Uno Cart through a couple more of my VCS consoles and check my results. I was always assuming it had something to do with my modded system but maybe not.

With the audio clipping, that's a tough one. Thanks for letting me know as I rarely listen back to the whole episode, just bits and pieces to make sure it all recorded okay. I try to keep the microphone as close to us as possible to reduce the sound of reverb in the room and also to try to prevent the mic from picking up the audio of the game that we hear on our end. Unfortunately the tradeoff of having the mic so close to us is that if we get a little loud we'll go over the dB rating of the extremely sensitive shotgun microphone I'm using. I'll do some more experiments to see what might be a better alternative, possibly a less directional microphone with a higher max sound pressure level (dB). My current one allows sounds up to 125 dB but I have a condenser microphone that can allow up to 156 dB. Hopefully that will capture the yelling without distortion! :-)

Thanks so much for the tip on why the snowman sometimes falls through the gaps, that makes perfect sense now with the changing width depending on how melted he is.

Just watched your last show of the year, looks like y'all had fun! Noticed a bit of audio clipping on Darcy during loud screams/laughter, something you may wish to look into for future shows.

The issue iesposta brought up with Stay Frosty 2 was not limited to Heavy Sixers, it also occurred on Light Sixers like mine. Same problem also occurs with the game River Raid II. It's covered in this topic. A simple fix to the console is covered in this reply by Al, which also fixes the problem with River Raid II.

Do note the simple fix can cause RF interference, which should not be an issue with your modified console. If you do experience interference then use a ferrite bead to create the bridge.

The issue with the snowman not always making it across the gaps on level 7 (the tree) is due to how the base of the snowman works - when he's slightly melted his base is 8 pixels across and can slide across an 8 pixel gap with a slight "bump". When he's full sized the base is only 6 pixels across, so he always drops down into 8 pixel gaps

Edited by cimmerian

I don't believe a software fix was ever found, I'd have needed to make new ROMs if the DPC+ driver had been changed.

In your video if you watch at 2:26:46 you'll see the "bump" as Darcy slides the snowman around the invisible platforms - that's how you find the gaps to drop down.

Another interesting side note...

I also have Stay Frosty II on the Holiday Greetings 2014 cart and the game plays perfectly on my six-switcher. I didn't see anybody make the distinction between the two releases in the thread. Is there something different in the code or cart hardware that would allow this version to work but not the later release of the game?

I don't believe a software fix was ever found, I'd have needed to make new ROMs if the DPC+ driver had been changed.

So all the problems reported with Stay Frosty 2 were all with the limited edition Holiday Greetings 2014 cart? That is certainly strange as I'm experiencing the exact opposite! Finicky hardware, hahah.

At least I know that the carts are fine as they play on my Atari Jr. every time without fail. I'll get in contact with iesposta as it looks like he modded his sixer to fix the issue, I'll see if he had any long term effects or other issues from doing it.

Ah, missed that you were trying to play the later release. Seems more likely that something's wrong with the cart itself then.

That was my assumption, but I could be wrong. Possibly one of the problem Melody's snuck thru at a later date. Or maybe there was a hardware fix for the Melody that didn't get installed (or correctly installed) on the board.

I did the fix to mine, both the light sixer I regularly use and a heavy sixer that I seldom use as it's stock so won't connect to my C=1084S monitor. They've worked fine since then.

• Like 1

If you haven't had a chance yet, check out ZeroPage Homebrew's two part special on the recently released Trak-Ball carts from Atariage!

Part 1: Plaque Attack, Centipede, Colony 7, Missile Control, Star Wars

Part 2: Millipede, Reactor, Nexar, SpaceMaster X-7, Missile Command

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2018 ATARI AWARD NOMINEE ANNOUNCEMENTS!

LIVE WEDNESDAY JANUARY 23, 2019 on ZEROPAGE HOMEBREW!

The nominees announcements of all ten categories for the 2018 edition of the Atari Awards will take place LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew's Twitch channel on January 23rd, 2019 at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 7PM GMT! We will also be giving out the voting information so you will be able to vote your favourite games of last year into the top spot!

After the full announcements we will be playing through the nominated games on the show so stick around afterwards for some homebrew gaming from the best of 2018!

EDIT: Updated with Video

post-37205-0-53268800-1548134565_thumb.jpg

Edited by cimmerian
  • Like 6

Here's the list of the nominated games for The Atari Awards 2018 show:

2018 Atari Awards

Nominated Games

Best Homebrew (10)

Balloon Trip by bluswimmer

Birds and Beans by bluswimmer

Dungeon II: Solstice by David Weavil / s0c7

Mappy by John W. Champeau aka johnnywc of Champ Games

Plague (bB) by Fehér János Zoltán aka MemberAtarian

Refraction by Norbert Landsteiner aka NoLand

Sheep It Up! (bB) by Dr. Ludos

Stripes of Terror by Krzysztof Kluczek, Michał Żuchowski, & Mariusz Górski

Sword of Surtr (bB) by Jeff Stermer aka ultima

Tyre Trax (bB) by Lewis Hill aka Muddyfunster

Best bB Homebrew (10)

Apollyon (bB) by Fehér János Zoltán aka MemberAtarian

Gizzle Wap and the Terrible Blizzard of Firn, The (bB) by Jeff Smith aka Mountain King

Horizon Shift (bB) by Paul Marrable of Flump Studios UK

Monkey King (bB) by Alex Pietrow aka Coolcrab

Space Game (bB) by Karl Garrison aka Karl G & Maggie Vogel

Stardust (bB) by Brian Wayne Shea aka metalbabble

Best Programming (12)

Dungeon II: Solstice by David Weavil aka s0c7

Fear of the Dark (bB) by Fehér János Zoltán aka MemberAtarian

Gizzle Wap and the Terrible Blizzard of Firn, The (bB) by Jeff Smith aka Mountain King

Mappy by John W. Champeau aka johnnywc of Champ Games and Thomas Jentzsch

NeXion 3D (bB) by Brock Keaghey aka TheMajorHavoc

Best Graphics (13)

Dungeon II: Solstice by David Weavil aka s0c7

Mappy by John W. Champeau aka johnnywc of Champ Games & Nathan Strum

Tron (bB) by Orange808

Best Music & Sound (10)

Asteroid Rescue (bB) by Ross Adkin aka TidusRenegade

Beeware (bB) by Fehér János Zoltán aka MemberAtarian

Mappy by Mike Haas aka iesposta and Darrell Spice Jr.

Best Packaging (13)

Alien Greed 5 by Chris Read aka atari2600land, packaging by Yandman

Astronomer (bB) by Alex Pietrow aka Coolcrab, packaging by Alex Pietrow

Balloon Trip by bluswimmer, packaging by Vladimir Zuñiga

Bouncer (Boing! hack) by Scott Dayton aka neotokeo2001 of NEO Games, packaging by Scott Dayton

Dungeon II: Solstice by David Weavil aka s0c7, packaging by Dave Dries

Ketchup Kaboom! (Kaboom! hack) by Scott Dayton aka neotokeo2001 of NEO Games, packaging by Corey Kramer

Mappy by John W. Champeau aka johnnywc of Champ Games, packaging by Nathan Strum

Plague (bB) by Fehér János Zoltán aka MemberAtarian, packaging by Fehér János Zoltán

Q*Bert Jump (Amoeba Jump hack) by Scott Dayton aka neotokeo2001 of NEO Games, packaging by Scott Dayton

Santa Bros. (Mario Bros. hack) by Scott Dayton aka neotokeo2001 of NEO Games, packaging by Joe Klander

Space Game (bB) by Karl Garrison aka Karl G & Maggie Vogel, packaging by Maggie Vogel

Tyre Trax (bB) by Lewis Hill aka Muddyfunster, packaging by Atariboy2600

Zombie Road Kill by Jason Santuci of Gemintronic, packaging by D. C. Stuelpner

Best WIP Homebrew (12)

Aardvark by Oscar Toledo Gutiérrez aka nanochess, Thomas Jentzsch (coding), Nathan Strum (graphics)

Amoeba Jump by Dion Olsthoom aka Dionoid

Black Jack Theta VIII by azure

ChaoticGrill (port of Burgertime) by splendidnut

Dare Devil (bB) by Lewis Hill aka Muddyfunster

Dragon’s Descent (bB) by Revontuli

Pac-Man 2600 8K by DINTAR816

Railslider (bB) by Lillapojkenpåön

Robo-Ninja Climb by Nathan Tolbert aka gauauu

RoboMechanik by Krzysztof Kluczek aka KK/Altair

Spies in the Night 2 (bB) by Jared Gray West aka graywest

Wizard of Wor Arcade by John W. Champeau aka johnnywc of Champ Games, Mike Haas (sound), Nathan Strum (graphics)

Best Game Hack (16)

Active Shooter (Turmoil hack) by James Catalano aka JamCat Reloaded

ALF (Taz hack) by Scott Dayton aka neotokeo2001 of NEO Games & James Catalano aka JamCat Reloaded

Batman (Popeye hack) by James Catalano aka JamCat Reloaded

Berzerk NEO Version 2 (Berzerk hack) by Scott Dayton aka neotokeo2001 of NEO Games

Broadside (Combat hack) by Claudio Salvucci aka CDS Games

Dawn of the Dead (Worm War I hack) by Scott Dayton aka neotokeo2001 of NEO Games

Extinction (Demon Attack hack) by Scott Dayton aka neotokeo2001 of NEO Games

Ketchup Kaboom! (Kaboom! hack) by Scott Dayton aka neotokeo2001 of NEO Games

Miner 2049er Faster (Miner 2049er hack) by Thomas Jentzsch (speed up hack), OmegaMatrix (reset bug fix), and doctorclu (sprite hack)

MissADVENTURE (Adventure hack) by Alan W. Smith

Moon Patrol Arcade DC Version (Moon Patrol+ hack) by doctorclu

Q*Bert Jump (Amoeba Jump hack) by Scott Dayton aka neotokeo2001 of NEO Games

Santa HERO ET (H.E.R.O. hack) by Scott Dayton aka neotokeo2001 of NEO Games

Stargate Desert Raid (River Raid hack) by DevKK and Whip

Stranger Things – Barb’s Revenge (Dig Dug hack) by keebz

U.F.O. Galaxian (Galaxian Hack) by James Catalano aka JamCat Reloaded

Best Demo (10)

AcidRain by Jeremiah and Kno1

Alpha Cucks by Dentifrice

Compofiller by g0blinish

Dengue Fever by Digital Sounds System & Flush

Hard 2632 by Imp & SvOlli

Lapin Kulta by Dentifrice

M by Flush

Mushroom Adventure by Satori

Stella A Trois by Flush

Three Minus by altair

Technical Achievement (7)

Aardvark by Thomas Jentzsch: Alternating playfield priority to create transparency effect (sun/moon shining through the clouds)

Aardvark by Thomas Jentzsch: 32 pixel sprite that smoothly enters, traverses and exits the length of the color changing playfield (both single line) without using HMOVE blanks, WSYNCs or using extra sprite data

Grey Screen with No Music by Tjoppen for 16 Byte "Maximum Minimal" Demo

Hard 2632 by Imp & SvOlli: 32 byte hardware dip switch demo implementation

Mappy by Thomas Jentzsch (code) & Nathan Strum (graphics): 85 pixel multicolor title screen

Mappy by John Champeau: Player and Enemy anti-flicker code

Studio 2600 by Norbert Landsteiner aka NoLand: 2600 Audio Demo Software

Multiple Nominations

7 - Mappy by John W. Champeau aka johnnywc of Champ Games

6 - Plague (bB) by Fehér János Zoltán aka MemberAtarian

5 - Tyre Trax (bB) by Lewis Hill aka Muddyfunster

5 - Sword of Surtr (bB) by Jeff Stermer aka ultima

4 - Stripes of Terror by Krzysztof Kluczek, Michał Żuchowski, & Mariusz Górski

4 - Space Game (bB) by Karl Garrison aka Karl G & Maggie Vogel

4 - Sheep It Up! (bB) by Dr. Ludos

4 - Gizzle Wap and the Terrible Blizzard of Firn, The (bB) by Jeff Smith aka Mountain King

4 - Dungeon II: Solstice by David Weavil / s0c7

4 - Balloon Trip by bluswimmer

4 - Apollyon (bB) by Fehér János Zoltán aka MemberAtarian

3 - Fear of the Dark (bB) by Fehér János Zoltán aka MemberAtarian

3 - Aardvark by Oscar Toledo Gutiérrez aka nanochess, Thomas Jentzsch (coding), Nathan Strum (graphics)

2 - Q*Bert Jump (Amoeba Jump hack) by Scott Dayton aka neotokeo2001 of NEO Games

2 - Ketchup Kaboom! (Kaboom! hack) by Scott Dayton aka neotokeo2001 of NEO Games

2 - Hard 2632 by Imp & SvOlli: 32 byte hardware dip switch demo implementation

• Like 2