IGNORED

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream

Watching the rerun of it now. Camera appears to have been chroma-keying anything bright green. Great seeing John, Al, Bob, Dion and Todd (and Dan's cameo)! Looking forward to the full interview with Dion. :) It's nice to see Zoo Keeper getting some playtime, too.

Thanks James and Tanya for bringing the expo to those of us who couldn't be there. Hope you have a safe trip back, and we'll see you on the epic post-expo unboxing stream. :D 

(P.S. James - you should've "borrowed" one of Al's s-video modded systems to use on your show. ;) )

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 5:08 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

My worst nightmare has come true.  My RGB modded light-sixer that I use for the show no longer works.

I was taking it apart to take photos of the insides for further troubleshooting of the issue I was having with Harmony Encore specific games. When I put it all back together and turned it on, nothing happened. No picture, no sound. I plugged in the RF output to check if it was just the RGB out, same thing, no picture no sound. I tried the power supply on an Atari Jr, no problem there as it powered up. I take the whole thing apart again, there's no disconnected wires and nothing obvious.

Sadly I know next to nothing about electronic repairs and my multimeter recently broke so I've ordered another one just now.

I was also in the process of ordered a kit to recap my system in case that was the issue with the Harmony Encore:

https://console5.com/store/atari-2600-total-refresh-tune-up-cap-kit-new-capacitors-and-more.html

BUT, the show must go on and I will continue by using Stella for the show. In the meantime, enjoy these pictures of my non-operative RGB modded light-sixer and let me know if you think anything is out of order that I should look at.

DSC08224.JPG

DSC08225.JPG

DSC08226.JPG

DSC08227.JPG

DSC08228.JPG

DSC08229.JPG

DSC08230.JPG

DSC08231.JPG

DSC08232.JPG

DSC08233.JPG

DSC08234.JPG

DSC08235.JPG

DSC08236.JPG

DSC08237.JPG

DSC08238.JPG

DSC08239.JPG

DSC08240.JPG

DSC08241.JPG

DSC08242.JPG

Am I seeing corrosion? 

Thank you so much everyone for tuning in to the livestream on Oct 20th when we broadcasted live from PRGE2019!! It was really fun doing the stream despite all the crazy technical challenges.

On 10/20/2019 at 12:41 PM, Nathan Strum said:

Or he's just busy enjoying the expo. :) 

Sadly in the end I only had the last hour of the last day to enjoy the expo, everything else before the stream was frantic setting up to broadcast live. ?

On 10/20/2019 at 12:50 PM, Karl G said:

Well, more power to him if he took the time off to relax! :D

I wish! I was running on two hours of sleep (and only 4 from the night before) flying in early from a film festival where I screened my movie the night before! ?

On 10/20/2019 at 2:32 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

That was a nice first stream. Audio got much better later on. Thanks a lot!

I should have detached the microphone earlier than I did but I thought it would be more portable mounted on the camera, glad people in the chat said the sound could be better.

On 10/20/2019 at 2:37 PM, Omegamatrix said:

It was really good seeing the interviews. Thank you for the stream!

You're so welcome, it was great hanging around the AtariAge booth where all the cool people were!

On 10/20/2019 at 7:01 PM, Nathan Strum said:

Watching the rerun of it now. Camera appears to have been chroma-keying anything bright green. Great seeing John, Al, Bob, Dion and Todd (and Dan's cameo)! Looking forward to the full interview with Dion. :) It's nice to see Zoo Keeper getting some playtime, too.

Thanks James and Tanya for bringing the expo to those of us who couldn't be there. Hope you have a safe trip back, and we'll see you on the epic post-expo unboxing stream. :D 

(P.S. James - you should've "borrowed" one of Al's s-video modded systems to use on your show. ;) )

I think the chroma-keying was leftover from the 2018 Atari Awards Night! I hadn't used it to stream since then and it must have been left on. It created quite a weird effect, a little distracting but not too bad.

Zoo Keeper is looking amazing, great job on the graphics! Can't wait to play it on the show. John Champeau pulled some magic out to get all the games completed on time for the Expo!

I was thinking of broadcasting some captured playing but it would have involved a ton more equipment so I opted to just do the roaming camera for this time, maybe next time!

On 10/20/2019 at 7:04 PM, mksmith said:

Well done James and Tanya - enjoyed it too! Is definitely great to put faces to names.

Thanks also for the little shout-out at the end for Arkanoid ? 

Thank you so much, glad you enjoyed it!! I love meeting people at the events and like you said, putting a face to the names. It was amazing to do some on the spot interviews with the people I was running into at the AtariAge booth. You're welcome with the Arkanoid shoutout, I don't follow the 7800 releases as much as I should!  I wish I had some time to play it, I was so rushed there, it looked incredible!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ZPH LIVE FROM PRGE2019!

Just posted the LIVE broadcast on YouTube from the AtariAge booth at Portland Retro Gaming Expo from Oct 20, 2019.

Appearances/Interviews:

- John Champeau (Champ Games)

- Dan Kitchen (Activision, Gold Rush)

- Albert Yarusso (AtariAge)

- Dion Olsthoorn (Amoeba Jump, Tower of Rubble)

- Bob Decrescenzo (Baby Pac-Man)

- Todd Furmanski (Dragon's Descent)

ENJOY!!

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

• Like 4

On 10/20/2019 at 7:01 PM, Nathan Strum said:

52 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I was thinking of broadcasting some captured playing but it would have involved a ton more equipment so I opted to just do the roaming camera for this time, maybe next time!

Actually, I wasn't thinking about doing that at the Expo, I was suggesting you "borrow" one to take back with you to use on the show, until your RGB modded one is fixed. :D 

The next episode of ZeroPage Homebrew is on October 31st, HALLOWEEN!!

We'd like to play some more SPOOKY Homebrew and Hacks on the stream!! Anybody know of any more games we haven't played yet? (see list below)

GAMES WE'VE PLAYED (OR HAVE SCHEDULED ALREADY):

Video Jack-O-Lantern (Demo)

Happy Halloween (WIP)

Candy Catcher

Stranger Things - Barb's Revenge (Hack)

Tombstones (WIP)

Freddy's Fear Factory (Hack)

Blair Witch Project, The (Hack)

Elvira (Hack)

Monster's Revenge (Hack)

Skeleton +

Tyre Trax: ZeroPage Halloween Edition (WIP)

Skeleton+ (Fixed)

DoReMi (Halloween Edition)

Zombie Invaders (Space Invaders Hack)

Ronister at Haunted House (Berzerk Hack)

Halloween

• Like 1

JOIN US TONIGHT (HALLOWEEN!!) for some spooky homebrew games and hacks LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 5PM PT | 8PM ET | 12AM GMT!!!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games: HALLOWEEN HOMEBREW SPECIAL! Skeleton+ (Fixed), DoReMi (Halloween Edition), Zombie Invaders (Space Invaders Hack), Ronister at Haunted House (Berzerk Hack), Halloween, Frankenstein's Monster (LIVE @ 5PM PT | 8PM ET | 12AM GMT)

EDIT: Archive Video of Stream
(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 4

@iesposta! Thanks to you we may have found the answer!

On 9/13/2019 at 8:03 PM, iesposta said:

My meaning did not get through on chat. I was saying that maybe the increased power from the new power supply to the RGB mod components killed it?

Power in gets converted to 5 volts at the regulator, the 7805. In the RGB mod, the 7805 gets replaced with this board:

FDC4FAB7-F9E8-450D-849D-35670D1AA6A2.thumb.jpeg.63841255e0e0b438cf0e3f294e84a959.jpeg

If that part goes bad, the 2600 will not work. 

Darcy was over today and we had the the RGB 2600 apart to try to find the culprit. It was still acting up and not outputting any video, just like before. We watched a number of YouTube videos but they really didn't point in the right direction.

I showed him the replies to my issue here on the AA Forum and we came across your post (@iesposta) about the regulator. We plugged in the power, turned on the machine and measured the output voltage from the above board. It was only around 660mV, nowhere near 5V!!!!! ?  I then cleaned up the soldering on the other side and then we measured it again, it was down to around 250mV. We let the isopropyl alcohol dry a bit more just in case and measured it again, it was down to around 150mV!!!! Here's some photos:

20191101_152412.thumb.jpg.6c1f70cae038650f28a833bb3ef749e5.jpg

20191101_160141.thumb.jpg.88a710087194450f13f0472bbf2bd08b.jpg20191101_160228.thumb.jpg.40007c7751548ed516324f7bee5a2207.jpg

Now, the question is...

I have the tune up kit from Console 5 that includes a replacement NORMAL regulator that matches the original one in a light sixer, which is nothing like this fancy one here. If I replace the fancy one here with the older style version from Console 5, is it going to deliver enough power for the RGB mod? Will it made any difference? Shouldn't they both output exactly 5V?

Thank you everyone for helping! I hope I'm closer to a solution now!

Go for it. Can't be any worse. (I replaced my regulator with a new, normal one, and it's fine. I have an S-Video mod though, not an RGB one.)

If you want to be on the safe side, I'd pop open another 2600, and check the output of the regulator there to see what it's doing. Then you have a point of comparison.

(Oh, and I did finally find the chrome switch caps. :) )

Edited by Nathan Strum
Added link to the chrome cap switch blog entry, on the off chance anyone was actually curious enough to read through the first one, and wondered what happened.

I hope this is the fault and the fix!

The 3 solder points to the Regulator should measure (to ground): input DC volts (varies 9V to 15V), ground, and 5V. 

I’m not sure why the RGB mod uses this regulator board, but I remember it caused some problems and the round green capacitor attached to it needed an updated value. 

Note: You can replace a normal VCS 7805 with one rated for higher Amps - that is recommended. (orig 7805 at 500ma to replacement 7805 at 1A)

The green “chicklet” capacitor just above the 7805 SHOULD BE CHANGED. It can be seen in the above picture. When bad, it causes “snow” that looks like RF interference, but it is not interference. 

Some kits have the same shape part, or it may be plastic rectangle. 

3 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

@iesposta! Thanks to you we may have found the answer!

Darcy was over today and we had the the RGB 2600 apart to try to find the culprit. It was still acting up and not outputting any video, just like before. We watched a number of YouTube videos but they really didn't point in the right direction.

I showed him the replies to my issue here on the AA Forum and we came across your post (@iesposta) about the regulator. We plugged in the power, turned on the machine and measured the output voltage from the above board. It was only around 660mV, nowhere near 5V!!!!! ?  I then cleaned up the soldering on the other side and then we measured it again, it was down to around 250mV. We let the isopropyl alcohol dry a bit more just in case and measured it again, it was down to around 150mV!!!! Here's some photos:

20191101_152412.thumb.jpg.6c1f70cae038650f28a833bb3ef749e5.jpg

20191101_160141.thumb.jpg.88a710087194450f13f0472bbf2bd08b.jpg20191101_160228.thumb.jpg.40007c7751548ed516324f7bee5a2207.jpg

Now, the question is...

I have the tune up kit from Console 5 that includes a replacement NORMAL regulator that matches the original one in a light sixer, which is nothing like this fancy one here. If I replace the fancy one here with the older style version from Console 5, is it going to deliver enough power for the RGB mod? Will it made any difference? Shouldn't they both output exactly 5V?

Thank you everyone for helping! I hope I'm closer to a solution now!

You may want to remove your Harmony cart and put in something a little less valuable whist testing!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2019 at 1:49 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I suppose you have checked the power supply already? 

That's a really good question. I actually didn't since I was successfully playing games with the power supply. I will have an update very soon about my continuing adventures with fixing my RGB light sixer soon, there is (minor) progress.

Thanks @ZeroPage Homebrew for playing Water Diver on your stream! It was great to watch, and really useful feedback. I was especially glad to see you playing 2-player, since I haven't been able to test it too much so far. Glad you liked it!

Now I have a few more ideas to try to squeeze into the remaining bytes...

Oh, and: no, I'm not Mr SQL. :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/23/2019 at 12:56 AM, zdan said:

Thanks @ZeroPage Homebrew for playing Water Diver on your stream! It was great to watch, and really useful feedback. I was especially glad to see you playing 2-player, since I haven't been able to test it too much so far. Glad you liked it!

Now I have a few more ideas to try to squeeze into the remaining bytes...

Oh, and: no, I'm not Mr SQL. ?

You're welcome, so much fun!! Great multiplayer game, amazing job! Looking forward to playing future builds of your game. ?

- James