IGNORED

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream

On 3/1/2020 at 5:04 PM, Nathan Strum said:

James - when you get your 2600 working again, you should also see about getting your AtariVox replaced. Albert has revised ones now that don't have the reset bug.

And you will need it. :ponder:
:) 

I'll order one tomorrow, I've been meaning to put in an order for a new one for a while. ? Thanks for the reminder!

Success! The composite mod I talked about on the show recently is now installed and working on my Atari 2600 Jr.!

It'll be a good substitute while the RGB light sixer continues on its road to recovery. I will be using this system for Friday's Twitch livestream!

Hooray, back to a real VCS, paddle games, AtariVOX and joysticks that don't weigh a ton!

https://scontent.fyvr3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/88143300_1246627462394784_3059195399806910464_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=yfV0nBwCs_AAX8LvSvF&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr3-1.fna&oh=33edf31eeddfce1c85efbbd153376c90&oe=5E8106B7

• Like 9

14 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Congrats! Btw, those Commodore monitors are great. I have a 1702 and been looking for a 2nd (backup) one.

They are incredible CRTs! I always cart them out for my annual open house retro game night. ? Super clean picture and even a decent speaker in it.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 1:47 PM, Karl G said:

It was good to see your Jr. up and running on the show.  I was wondering if you were able to use the UnoCart on the new system, and run games >= 64K without issues?

I just tested my UnoCart with the composite modded Atari 2600 Jr. and everything I throw at it runs without any issues! I've upgraded the firmware to the latest version now as well. This is great news and will open up the number of games I can play on the show. ?

- James

• Like 2

Your last episode got me thinking when you tried to use the Atari Jr switches while playing on Stella. How hard would it be to convert an Atari 2600 shell into a USB controller, so that the physical switches and joystick ports would work in Stella? Essentially, the 2600 would be gutted and converted into a PC game controller. Maybe if the innards of a real PC controller were taken out and wired it up inside the 2600 shell?

6 hours ago, azure said:

Your last episode got me thinking when you tried to use the Atari Jr switches while playing on Stella. How hard would it be to convert an Atari 2600 shell into a USB controller, so that the physical switches and joystick ports would work in Stella? Essentially, the 2600 would be gutted and converted into a PC game controller. Maybe if the innards of a real PC controller were taken out and wired it up inside the 2600 shell?

I think that could be achieved fairly easily by taking a small USB device, like a PC controller as you mentioned, with multiple buttons and rewiring a gutted Atari 2600 to use those buttons. Then have Stella remapped to those button presses! It wouldn't think it would take too much electrical knowledge to do that.

Is it worth it over just pressing the corresponding keys on a wireless keyboard as I usually do during the show? Maybe! I wouldn't destroy a 2600 to do it, that's for sure.

3 hours ago, Nathan Strum said:

You could just transplant a RetroN77 into a 2600 shell.

This is probably a way more interesting way of achieving the button presses! There's plenty of room to put the innards of a Retron77 inside a 2600 plus all the added bonuses of portability. I suspect someone will probably do this project at some point?

Just watched the latest show with Tanya and Darcy. It is very nice that you incorporate your friends via web and use Javatari for playing with them. Darcy was missing volume, but besides that it worked pretty well, IMO. :thumbsup: 

Fingers crossed ? you will be able to to use this to have some early shows as before. We Europeans need you, especially now! :) 

I'm watching it now and you're playing my favourite 2600 game BEAMRIDER! I never had a manual, but I did get to sector 99 with 999999 points on advanced settings ? I used to kill all the enemies so fast I had to leave the last one so my extra life would spawn.

The game is pretty straight forward, except I never understood what those things that fly across the screen was or does, I did notice there's three per sector if you wait long enough, I felt like if I shot all three it would increase the score I got per extra life after killing the big ship, but I might have imagined that?

https://www.twingalaxies.com/game/beamrider/atari-2600-vcs/pal-game-1-difficulty-a-points/

I hope to get a hold of the rare patch one day.

On 3/22/2020 at 1:14 PM, Lillapojkenpåön said:

I'm watching it now and you're playing my favourite 2600 game BEAMRIDER! I never had a manual, but I did get to sector 99 with 999999 points on advanced settings ? I used to kill all the enemies so fast I had to leave the last one so my extra life would spawn.

The game is pretty straight forward, except I never understood what those things that fly across the screen was or does, I did notice there's three per sector if you wait long enough, I felt like if I shot all three it would increase the score I got per extra life after killing the big ship, but I might have imagined that?

https://www.twingalaxies.com/game/beamrider/atari-2600-vcs/pal-game-1-difficulty-a-points/

I hope to get a hold of the rare patch one day.

Beamrider is an amazing 2600 game! So much going on and a lot of varied gameplay. I'm kind of happy I didn't earn the patch on the first playthrough of it on Friday as I'll get to play it again this Wednesday!

Sector 99 with 999999 points on advanced?? Wow, that's incredible! I'll definitely have to step up my game! The manual defines the yellow things that fly across the screen as Chirpers and don't specify that they add anything to the bonus as the end with the big ship. Only a bonus for how many lives you have remaining when the big ship is destroyed.

- James

4 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

The manual defines the yellow things that fly across the screen as Chirpers and don't specify that they add anything to the bonus as the end with the big ship. Only a bonus for how many lives you have remaining when the big ship is destroyed.

- James

Ok, the bonus points you get for your lives does increase throughout the game tho, but maybe that's just every sector, did it mentioned that? It get's very rewarding when you start getting up there, and the amount per each life is over 1000 points.

So the strategy I used was to not bother so much about killing the big ship in the beginning, use the three missiles that can destroy anything in any critical situation just to keep your lives, it wil pay off, and never chase the chirpers, it will make you loose focus on everything else that's going on, but if you can get it from your position that's good.

• Like 1