IGNORED

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream

14 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Just watching last night's show. Was the main camera not focused 100%?

Yes, unfortunately last night's show was a bit of a mess in terms of audio and video. While trying to get the remote video stream working with Aerlan there were a number of things that were neglected. It's still watchable but a number of things were a little off and could be distracting while watching. I'll chalk it up to a learning experience, such is life when trying new things out!

- James

I continue to enjoy the show, and  I've been able to watch all the shows on Twitch lately because of temporarily working from home full time, but I now have to use my Win10 laptop.   Starting last week, I can no longer see the picture when trying to use my Galaxy Tab A tablet, which is a max 720P device. It used to work, in fact I could adjust the video settings as I'd like, but I'd usually just let the Auto option automatically pick the 720P option.  But as of last week, the video option is no longer there on the option screen.  Auto is checkmarked, but it no longer is clickable and the video settings info is no longer there.   I loaded other streams and did not have these same problems.  Could there be a setting on the channel itself that is enforcing 1080p and not allowing lower resolutions?   I don't need a reply, I'm just reporting the technical issue. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cafeman said:

I continue to enjoy the show, and  I've been able to watch all the shows on Twitch lately because of temporarily working from home full time, but I now have to use my Win10 laptop.   Starting last week, I can no longer see the picture when trying to use my Galaxy Tab A tablet, which is a max 720P device. It used to work, in fact I could adjust the video settings as I'd like, but I'd usually just let the Auto option automatically pick the 720P option.  But as of last week, the video option is no longer there on the option screen.  Auto is checkmarked, but it no longer is clickable and the video settings info is no longer there.   I loaded other streams and did not have these same problems.  Could there be a setting on the channel itself that is enforcing 1080p and not allowing lower resolutions?   I don't need a reply, I'm just reporting the technical issue. 

That is an issue that is not easily solved as it's not guaranteed to Twitch streamers with smaller followings such as ZPH. Here is what Twitch has to say about it:

"Video Transcodes: Partners will always have first priority access to quality options for their channel. Quality options allow viewers to adjust the quality in which they view a broadcast for the best experience. While non-partnered channels receive transcodes depending on how much capacity is available, Partners are guaranteed transcodes for all of their broadcasts."

The ZPH Twitch stream is not currently at the 'Partner' level and I don't expect us to be any time soon. To reach that level we will have to have an AVERAGE of 75 viewers watching the stream and unfortunately we're not at all close. Maybe in the future we can get there but not for a while. Hopefully the 'auto' setting will work for you more often than not.

- James

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

BTW: Aerlan's volume was too low for a non-native speaker like me. I hope you can find a way around the delay.

Although people in the stream said that he was loud enough to hear, and he definitely was in the studio, upon reviewing the footage later it was way way too low to hear properly and that setup is definitely not a workable solution. The streaming software I use is very powerful and there should be a solution to be able to adjust the volumes without the delay and be able to hear him in the studio as well. I already have one in mind...

We'll get it working for next Wednesday when Aerlan appears again! ?

Re: Twitch stream bandwith

From a Twitch watcher perspective, I cannot make sense out of the stream quality options we get. 

In the past, there were always lower bandwidth options. More recently only the highest encoding rate is offered. One would think that lower data rate streams would cost Twitch less?

I ask ask questions of streamers and don’t get correct answers - so streamers just don’t know.

One stream has 720p50. When I ask why p50 - are they in a PAL country? They don’t understand (because they are not in a PAL country). Why does Twitch choose to encode as PAL?

One day, another stream from Los Angeles was at p48. That is double a film’s frame rate of 24fps? That made no sense either, and the streamer had no clue as to why. 

1 minute ago, iesposta said:

Re: Twitch stream bandwith

From a Twitch watcher perspective, I cannot make sense out of the stream quality options we get. 

In the past, there were always lower bandwidth options. More recently only the highest encoding rate is offered. One would think that lower data rate streams would cost Twitch less?

That's the confusing part! Although it would cost Twitch in computing power to re-encode 60fps to 30fps and 1080 to 720 etc.. it would cost them less in bandwidth. It must be seen as an incentive for streamers to build their fanbase?

1 minute ago, iesposta said:

I ask ask questions of streamers and don’t get correct answers - so streamers just don’t know.

One stream has 720p50. When I ask why p50 - are they in a PAL country? They don’t understand (because they are not in a PAL country). Why does Twitch choose to encode as PAL?

One day, another stream from Los Angeles was at p48. That is double a film’s frame rate of 24fps? That made no sense either, and the streamer had no clue as to why. 

There are only a handful of movies that were ever shot at 48fps and I doubt that the streamer you were watching was playing 'The Hobbit' movie on his stream.

To optimize, you really want to match the frame rate of the stream to the frame rate of the media you're streaming. The Atari outputs at 60fps here in NTSC-land so it only makes sense to stream at that (50fps or 60fps in PAL). Modern consoles output at 60fps as well, even in the PAL regions (if my research proves correct). PC gaming is a different beast but most capture devices will only capture at 4K60 maximum, even really expensive ones, so I think that most streams would set it to 4K60 or 1080p60. I haven't seen any 120Hz capture cards but I'm sure they will arrive eventually.

- James

I noticed the problem lately too. Yesterday's stream was definitely not replayed at 60fps (though the menu said so). Asteroids Attack stars were on and off (see 1:53:53).

I had some fun watching you playing Boulder Dash and reading Andrew's comments. :) Too bad I cannot be there at that time. You clearly need more practice to get a better understanding of the game's physics. Boulder Dash is not a casual game by far.

As for the Amoeba level, make sure that there is a large space right below the amoeba, down to the wall at the bottom. Also make sure that the path of the butterflies is wide enough, so that it doesn't get blocked easily. Finally, use the grab to collect the diamonds. You can also go inside the diamonds and grab. As long as there is a diamond on top of you, you are safe. But watch out for trapped butterflies!

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I noticed the problem lately too. Yesterday's stream was definitely not replayed at 60fps (though the menu said so). Asteroids Attack stars were on and off (see 1:53:53).

Hmm, the stream seems to be replaying back at 60fps for me, you can see it the most clear in the wave information screen on Asteroids Attack. There are three frames that rotate in order that make up: 'Wave 02  [ship]x3'

Frame 1: 'Wave'
Frame 2: '[ship]x'
Frame 3: '00

0'

Below are three frames in order captured from VLC at 60fps playback. I can also see all three frames playing back in the same rotating order when I play back the twitch stream at 0.25x at 1:53:27 (for an example of those frames).

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/577086710?t=1h53m27s

image.thumb.png.9ec25225582c4b3921e0b1ec66bdf3eb.pngimage.thumb.png.75e8a6301d7d0c62811e62305288bb5d.pngimage.thumb.png.1b2b2e9127dba38fc226d1da946f0f2e.png

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I had some fun watching you playing Boulder Dash and reading Andrew's comments. :) Too bad I cannot be there at that time. You clearly need more practice to get a better understanding of the game's physics. Boulder Dash is not a casual game by far.

As for the Amoeba level, make sure that there is a large space right below the amoeba, down to the wall at the bottom. Also make sure that the path of the butterflies is wide enough, so that it doesn't get blocked easily. Finally, use the grab to collect the diamonds. You can also go inside the diamonds and grab. As long as there is a diamond on top of you, you are safe. But watch out for trapped butterflies!

I'm going to have to concede that Boulder Dash is not a style of game that I excel at. I think you're right that offline practice is the only cure for that problem, so viewers don't have to suffer through my incompetence. ?  I remember having it for my C64 and not playing much because I was just so terrible at it!

Thanks for the tips on the Amoeba level!

- James

5 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I'm going to have to concede that Boulder Dash is not a style of game that I excel at. I think you're right that offline practice is the only cure for that problem, so viewers don't have to suffer through my incompetence. ?  I remember having it for my C64 and not playing much because I was just so terrible at it!

Once you have memorized the physics, the game will completely change for you. Then it will become a large puzzle, where each cave needs a new strategy to beat it. 

But without that memorization, you will constantly be stressed by the physics and cannot concentrate on developing a strategy.

• Like 1

Thanks for explaining the sometimes there / sometimes not video quality options on Twitch.  For this latest broadcast, the 720p and other options were there , so I did watch most of the show on my 720P tablet.  It's not a problem, I can always go grab my laptop if only 1080P date is there, and knowing the reason why it happens has stopped me from reloading Twitch over and over!  I need to get a newer tablet!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

On Wednesday I'll be doing a focus on games that make good use of the voice from the AtariVox!

So far I have:

Any more suggestions?

Another Seemo game I like is: Palomino

Find Palomino here: 

3 hours ago, Karl G said:

Are the earlier Wednesday shows gone for good? 

We may be able to bring the early shows back during this strange time we live in if the remote video setup with Aerlan proves good enough. We're giving it another run through this Wednesday and I'm fairly confident I can get it working to make that happen. ?

We'll go back to the regular time once the world returns back to normal.

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

One (or more) of the games in Sync babbles amusingly through the AtariVox... I'll look it up in the manual when I get home.

No, I'm not at home.

Yes, I'm a horrible person.

But apparently, I'm "expendable". I mean... "essential". So I still get to go to work.

"Get to". Never thought I'd hear myself say that... ;) 

• Haha 1

Sadly I have to postpone today's show as my feature documentary film, A Perfect 14, was just released yesterday to all the streaming platforms and it's blowing up like crazy! It's already #4 on the iTunes Doc charts and it's #1 on Google Movies for Popular, New & Top Rated Documentaries!

... shameless plug ...

Streaming Platforms:
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/a-perfect-14/id1498021528
Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/movies/details/A_Perfect_14?id=GzrBW7RJUjY.P
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-14-Elly-Mayday/dp/B084ZMLR23/

2004825957_APerfect14-iTunesChart.thumb.jpg.6fac01c1068eee52a5d81a037b6c51f6.jpg41093309_APerfect14-GoogleChart.thumb.jpg.0203106e2a6d902d306565bbbded3cc2.jpg

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Sadly I have to postpone today's show as my feature documentary film, A Perfect 14, was just released yesterday to all the streaming platforms and it's blowing up like crazy! It's already #4 on the iTunes Doc charts and it's #1 on Google Movies for Popular, New & Top Rated Documentaries!

That's awesome, congratulations!!

..Al

• Like 1