IGNORED

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream

On 5/14/2020 at 2:39 PM, intergalactic419 said:

First time viewer live. Thanks for the show, was fun. Really looking forward to the release of Robot Run 2600. I just recently ordered an Edladdin 78, but I think I need the twin 78 for this. Any confirmation the twin 78 double joystick will function on this to replicate the arcade setup? Or do I need two twin 78's to play the coming 4 player sports games that were mentioned haha. How far off is that quadtari that was shown? So many big drops in this episode!

Welcome to the livestream, glad you could watch it as it happens live! It's now been confirmed from multiple sources (as well ad Edladdin themselves) that the Twin 78 works with Champ Games' Robotron: 2084! Now to save up my $$$ for one...

No definitive release date for the quadtari but it's going to be a lot of fun to use with all the titles being supported by Champ Games. Plus I can't wait to see what people will be able to come up with for new homebrew titles!

On 5/14/2020 at 2:39 PM, intergalactic419 said:

Also the key code was great. Finally a solution to stopping my kids from taking my games!

Hahah, I never thought of the key code being used for that purpose. Those pesky kids, get away from my 2600 hombrew!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I suppose you now understand why I cheated at Cosmic Ark using electronics as a kid. :) 

Watched you wondering about cheating at Cosmic Ark too. It would work, but you have to keep your energy level up. For each missed shot (or meteor hit) your lose some energy.

But you can still cheat by collecting one beastie and going back to the meteor shower. That will increase your energy. And you can lose the beastie on the same planet again. And so on.

BTW: The planet defense eventually gets to an insane speed too, just somewhat later than the meteor showers. ?

Yes, I can definitely see why you set up your system with extra electronics to handle the higher levels of meteors, they get sooo quick. The gameplay in the video is insane, I can barely follow whats happening on the screen. Even the person playing in the video is losing a bunch of energy on the meteors by missing. They're doing a great job at avoiding the super fast lasers at the higher levels.

I don't see any other way to get to 30000 other than to cheat by getting one beastie and going back to the meteor shower, slowly increasing your score and energy. It just gets too fast for humans, no wonder the original programmer couldn't even earn a gold star for his own game.

14 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

@ZeroPage HomebrewJames I think you should add a "Reveal hidden contents" section with links to all of your retro gaming t-shirts. Watching the replay of tonight's Twitch stream and I love your Asteroids t-shirt.?  

Thanks so much! I love getting unique retro gaming shirts but now that there's no expos happening I'll have to make do with the ones I have.  Most of the shirts I bought in person at PRGE, VRGE and other events so most of them I wouldn't be able to give a link for unfortunately.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Thanks so much! I love getting unique retro gaming shirts but now that there's no expos happening I'll have to make do with the ones I have.  Most of the shirts I bought in person at PRGE, VRGE and other events so most of them I wouldn't be able to give a link for unfortunately.

I watched your livestream for the first time yesterday, made me glad to have a Twitch account, it was so much fun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atari2008 said:

I watched your livestream for the first time yesterday, made me glad to have a Twitch account, it was so much fun!

Thanks so much for watching live! We try to keep the stream informative, entertaining and bring everyone the latest and greatest Atari 2600 games. Watching the show live is definitely the best way to go as we usually have the homebrew developers in the chat so you can ask them questions about their game that we're playing. ? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Thanks so much for watching live! We try to keep the stream informative, entertaining and bring everyone the latest and greatest Atari 2600 games. Watching the show live is definitely the best way to go as we usually have the homebrew developers in the chat so you can ask them questions about their game that we're playing. ? 

It was my pleasure, watching live will definitely be a new fun thing I'm adding to my weekly routine. Watching you guys actually inspired me to play my 2600 after. That's so cool I didn't know you have the developers on the chat, will be sure to interact in there more next time. Great work. ?

About the Atari Video Music system...

On 5/19/2020 at 1:45 AM, Nathan Strum said:

I would think (being completely ignorant of programming), that it would be possible to make a 2600 version, if you could make an audio interface that connected through the cart and would pipe signals into the 2600 that it could understand and process into visuals.

On 5/19/2020 at 1:25 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

This was presented at Revision demo party by AA member @SvOlli a few years ago.

There is more details view about this production at my project page: https://xayax.net/trsi/atari_video_music-the_demo/

Nevertheless, I also started about adding something like a microcontroller or a Raspberry Pi for automatically reproducing configurations. But the chance on breaking something beyond repair was too high for me. Also all of the controls have some analogue (dials) or mechanical (switches) components in them, this would have complicated things further. And the demo with a human "as a CPU" gave it a nice additional twist. And it was a pain in the rear to get it done without a major failure during recording.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Some suggestion of older games:

- Mondo Pong 

- Joust Pong (aka FlapPing)

- Pong Combat

- Bee Ball

- Space Instigators

- Escape It

- Encaved

- Raster Fahndung

- Inv 2/Inv+

I tried to select games which would work well on the show. So no puzzles or so.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

- Mondo Pong 

- Pong Combat

- Bee Ball

- Space Instigators

- Escape It

- Encaved

- Raster Fahndung

- Inv 2/Inv+

Space Instigators was one of my earliest hombrew purchases. I've been happy with each XYPE game, that I've purchased.

Not quite as old as the above mentioned games, but I'd like to suggest Muncher. I really like this game. 

5 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

- Mondo Pong 

- Pong Combat

- Bee Ball

- Space Instigators

- Escape It

- Encaved

- Raster Fahndung

- Inv 2/Inv+

Oooh! Nice list to check out, thanks so much Thomas!

EDIT: After going through them it looks like we've played two of them: Bee-Ball on 20180502 and Escape It on 20181010, both super fun games. The rest I'll be fitting into upcoming streams, maybe I'll do a pong-tastic episode to group all pong-y games together!

What?? You don't find us staring at the screen silently for 5 minutes at a time entertaining?? :D 

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew

3 hours ago, Karl G said:

Maybe puzzle games aren't edge of your seat material, but I like seeing a variety of game styles on the show, along with oddities like the scientific calculator "game" . :)

Thanks Karl! Puzzles are super fun for us to play, maybe too much fun as Tanya and I both love them, but they're just not super interactive and dynamic to watch. We just need to cut down on the time spent on them, just enough to get the understanding of the mechanics and then move on.

Don't worry, we won't eliminate them! Even a calculator can be fun to show off if done right! ?

32 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Don't worry, we won't eliminate them! Even a calculator can be fun to show off if done right! ?

As an avid collector of vintage calculators myself, I can vouch for that!

Unfortunately, puzzlers on the '2600 don't sell well. There's not much motivation to write them.

38 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Thanks Karl! Puzzles are super fun for us to play, maybe too much fun as Tanya and I both love them, but they're just not super interactive and dynamic to watch. We just need to cut down on the time spent on them, just enough to get the understanding of the mechanics and then move on.

I also love puzzle games, so it's always nice to see something new on that front on the 2600.  :)

..Al

• Like 2

I like puzzle games quite a lot. Chetiry is probably my most played 2600 homebrew (okay... to be fair, it is Tetris). Assembloids is amazing. My only problem with watching puzzle games on the ZPH scream is futilely yelling at the TV, "NO! MOVE TO THE RIGHT! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" ;) 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

My only problem with watching puzzle games on the ZPH scream is futilely yelling at the TV, "NO! MOVE TO THE RIGHT! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" ;) 

My wife laughs at me when I start doing this.

I also love Assembloids and Chetiry.? Can't wait to add Millie and Molly to the rotation.

5 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

I like puzzle games quite a lot. Chetiry is probably my most played 2600 homebrew (okay... to be fair, it is Tetris). Assembloids is amazing. My only problem with watching puzzle games on the ZPH scream is futilely yelling at the TV, "NO! MOVE TO THE RIGHT! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" ;) 

Yes, they don't pay nearly enough attention to the comments.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

My only problem with watching puzzle games on the ZPH scream is futilely yelling at the TV, "NO! MOVE TO THE RIGHT! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" ;) 

???

Just now, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Maybe you could integrate the game's developer into your stream. So that he can interact live with you, while you are playing.

We definitely plan to be doing more of that in the future now that we've successfully had on John Champeau the other week for his Robotron: 2084 reveal. It was a lot of fun!

I just have to figure out who to have on next to try it out again! Once we get it smoothly running a couple of times I can see it developing into something more regular, especially for debuts of new games.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sramirez2008 said:

Not sure if I’ll be able to watch live tonight, but shout-out to Piero Cavina (INV, INV+, Mondo Pong & Oystron).  Mondo Pong was my very first hombrew purchase. 

Love the label art.

46450FCD-5304-4F9A-8BB2-1B6BD4ACBFDA.jpeg

Oooo, there's something I haven't seen in 40 years!

..Al

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Not sure if I’ll be able to watch live tonight, but shout-out to Piero Cavina (INV, INV+, Mondo Pong & Oystron).  Mondo Pong was my very first hombrew purchase. 

Love the label art.

Oh wow, that's some great and unique label art! Thanks for posting that, I'll use that on the show instead of the one I cobbled together. ?

- James

• Like 2