IGNORED

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream

12 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Finally I saw the paddle button failing on the Harmony cart, thanks for showing. Maybe I can trace down the issue now.

You could have used the console switches in that case. Or did you and they failed too?

When I worked as a professional videogame programmer back in the 80s, it was common for programmers to refuse to believe/acknowledge bugs. Our QA department started videotaping all game testing, so that the programmer could be dragged in front of the TV and forced to watch the bug actually happening. We got a lot less "you must be wrong", and a lot more "oh.... geez....I better fix that".

Your comment reminded me of those times. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Finally I saw the paddle button failing on the Harmony cart, thanks for showing. Maybe I can trace down the issue now.

You could have used the console switches in that case. Or did you and they failed too?

No, the console switches didn't work either. It seemed I could navigate to the binary every single time but when I tried to run the binary with the paddle it wouldn't load. I would have to press the button many many times and then sometimes it would eventually load (sometimes I gave up and swapped to a joystick to press the button). It would still seem to be able to navigate up the directory structure and then back into the directory with the binary just fine, just not load it consistently with the paddle button.

I've found this happening quite regularly when using the paddle to load games on the Harmony cart. Please let me know if you need any further testing!

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew

7 hours ago, Nathan Strum said:

;) 

My 2600RGB board also developed a 5V-GND fault recently. Really, really, maddening, it was.

I can't post in the thread you linked, but I did not feel like starting to remove components for testing from the 2600RGB board because it is very fragile. It, and the NESRGB, are relatively cheaply made, so the pads lift quite easily.  Both the creator of the board and the US distributor never bothered to respond to my inquiries about what could have happened or what part(s) is/are most likely to have failed.

I switched to the UAV mod, but it would be nice to get to the bottom of this problem. I'll be following your thread.

1 hour ago, spspspsp said:

I can't post in the thread you linked, but I did not feel like starting to remove components for testing from the 2600RGB board because it is very fragile. It, and the NESRGB, are relatively cheaply made, so the pads lift quite easily.

You can post over there if you join that particular Club. It's just a sub-forum specific to ZeroPage Homebrew. Anyone can sign up for it.

I'll go through and desolder the wires attached to the mod and see if the short is still there. If it is, then it's something in the mod itself. At that point, it's up to James to work it out with the seller. I'm not going to do any surface-mount troubleshooting on it.

1 hour ago, spspspsp said:

I switched to the UAV mod, but it would be nice to get to the bottom of this problem. I'll be following your thread.

I'm not enamored with the design of this one. I think it's trying to do too much (pause, remote Select and Reset, palette switching). It's ambitious, but I think a video mod should be just that - a video mod. Also, I'm not a fan of the non-standard RGB connector. Yes, I get that it's built for the Framemeister enthusiast, but that's a niche product within a niche community. (To be fair, there is a component module available. But it's not the default. And it's currently unavailable.)

12 hours ago, Nathan Strum said:

Also, I'm not a fan of the non-standard RGB connector. Yes, I get that it's built for the Framemeister enthusiast, but that's a niche product within a niche community. (To be fair, there is a component module available. But it's not the default. And it's currently unavailable.)

I was also not a huge fan of the RGB connector on this mod either, it also has those bulky extra components that combine the audio/video together. I think it would have been much cleaner to have an external standard connector that anyone could buy another standard adapter to connect to whatever component they have.

Since it's pretty much the only RGB mod option for the 2600 right now, it what we've got to got to deal with. It does produce an ultra clean signal so I can't really complain on the quality front.

I had been out of the loop for a while in terms of the Homebrew scene, but what a nice idea this 'cast is! 

Homebrew makers are probably all starving for some validation that "hey, at least I see saw someone play my game (who wasn't forced to because they live near me ;-) )"
and in general, there's so much out there. I'm really curious to see what interesting things are being done in homebrew...

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, kisrael said:

I had been out of the loop for a while in terms of the Homebrew scene, but what a nice idea this 'cast is! 

Homebrew makers are probably all starving for some validation that "hey, at least I see saw someone play my game (who wasn't forced to because they live near me ;-) )"
and in general, there's so much out there. I'm really curious to see what interesting things are being done in homebrew...

Yeah, the show has been an enormous boon to both developers and enthusiasts. As a developer, it's wonderful to get the live feedback from a work in progress getting played on the show, which can lead to improvements being made to the game. As a player, it's great to see such a huge variety of games. Plus, the show is a lot of fun, and the cats are cute. :)

• Like 2

My new mug arrived today, will be added into rotation later this week after it's been run thru the dishwasher:

IMG_0999.thumb.jpg.bfcb7c4c9476ad6100a64d0cfd8d256d.jpg

the Don't Panic mug has an image on the other side as well:

IMG_1001.thumb.jpg.8a94a82f703f60765507931fb9ab9169.jpg

Still waiting on the T, on the 3rd I received a a cute dog photo explaining it would likely be delayed:

506169324_ScreenShot2020-06-10at10_47_51AM.thumb.png.d9313ff4d1fe099d8531ca54ebaae391.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kisrael said:

Very true - I periodically check the reviews in the AA store.  Most recent reviews for my games are from 2018(SF2 and SS) and 2019 (the rest). It does look like a new review is pending for Medieval Mayhem - it shows 17 in the overview list, but only 16 in the details page.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kisrael said:

Thanks so much Kirk! Looking forward to playing your updated game on the stream today, hope you can make it to the live show on Twitch.

It's really fun having the developers in the chat discussing their creations with the viewers and answering questions about their game. The community has been really supportive of the show and it's great to give something back, even if it's just having some fun playing amazing homebrew on a livestream. ? 

- James

5 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Thanks so much Kirk! Looking forward to playing your updated game on the stream today, hope you can make it to the live show on Twitch.

It's really fun having the developers in the chat discussing their creations with the viewers and answering questions about their game. The community has been really supportive of the show and it's great to give something back, even if it's just having some fun playing amazing homebrew on a livestream. ? 

- James

i will try... I'm hosting zoom game night but I might try keeping an eye on it (not to disrespect the other game folks whose game get covered before me.

It's of course humbling to have someone see the flaws in a game - Not that you aren't anything but gracious and supportive! But looking back on like JoustPong, I really wonder about some of the places I ended up... (but it was a pretty taxing year) like I know the tiny ball was the result of a no-flicker kernel that was maxed out (though maybe I coulda got it wider?) but there's a lot of stuff in general. I might start branching out into DPC+ , which lacks some of the minimalist beauty, but really opens up some avenues...

Also I think for both JoustPong and Loaded4Bear I suffer from that fear of making it too trivially easy (even after I've been playing it so much)... some of the early players here pointed out how crazy agressive the bear was, and still is, but that video shows a few tricks that flummox the beast... but you still have to stay on your toes, that bear is relentless ;-)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

Very true - I periodically check the reviews in the AA store.  Most recent reviews for my games are from 2018(SF2 and SS) and 2019 (the rest). It does look like a new review is pending for Medieval Mayhem - it shows 17 in the overview list, but only 16 in the details page.

I check the reviews every couple of weeks; it's always nice when a new one pops up.  Lady Bug turns 15 next year and just got a new review (29!) as well as Mappy and Galagon, but I can't read them yet either.  I think @Albert has fallen behind in his review approvals... what does that guy do all day!?!? ;)  :P  

• Haha 1

@ZeroPage Homebrew You asked for the 2007 Minigame Compo results:

Here they are:

1. Pacman 4k (Atari 2600)
2. Encaved (Atari 2600)
3. Mist Maid 4k (Colecovision)

4. Big Baps (Spectrum)
5. Star Cruiser (Commodore 16 / Plus 4)
6. Ghost (Commodore Vic 20)
7. Easter Bunny (Colecovision)
8. Holidays in Amsterdam (Spectrum)
9. The Sorcerer (C64)